ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the one the routes to go for a built wrx 5speed trans that can hold up to 400 plus tq?? Not interested in a six speed trans swap from the sti just want to build a strong 5speed. thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
MFactory is another option, and it's half the price of PPG's, not quite as strong as PPG's, but for half the price and 350-400WHP tested, that would be what I would go for.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats a good website where i find those parts at?

·
Registered
242 Posts
PPG 1-3 Straight cut 4-5 helical, pretty good for street use.
I think you can only group stright cut and helical on the 1-2 gears and the 3-4 gears, not 1-3 since the 3 and 4 gears are formed together on the input shaft side.

Also, while stronger because of the bigger tooth, since all gears always spin, it will constantly have a whine sound while driving - not something I'd like.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
MFactory is another option, and it's half the price of PPG's, not quite as strong as PPG's, but for half the price and 350-400WHP tested, that would be what I would go for.
im doing a hybrid swap on my car with an 18g im expected to make over 300whp/300tq but im still on stock trans has anyone used these MFactory gears?how do you like them?should i go with the 1st through 4th and leave stock 5th or go with 1st through 5th? i've never heard of them all i've heard of was the ppgs so im just curious how these are. thanks

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
im doing a hybrid swap on my car with an 18g im expected to make over 300whp/300tq but im still on stock trans has anyone used these MFactory gears?how do you like them?should i go with the 1st through 4th and leave stock 5th or go with 1st through 5th? i've never heard of them all i've heard of was the ppgs so im just curious how these are. thanks
Any reason you are so against a six speed swap?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any reason you are so against a six speed swap?
i posted for njbugeyedwrx, i have nothing against the 6 speed swap, i guess its just more of the price or trying to find a used one and havin the cash in hand to do it.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
i posted for njbugeyedwrx, i have nothing against the 6 speed swap, i guess its just more of the price or trying to find a used one and havin the cash in hand to do it.
Unless you are doing the work yourself, rebuilding a 5speed is going to cost just as much, and possibly more

6 speed swap - buy parts, drop 5speed, change drive shaft, install new parts, done

5 speed swap - buy parts, drop 5 speed, open 5 speed, rebuild 5 speed, install 5speed, done

It's the extra labor you'll need to spend money on for the transmission being rebuilt that convinces most of us to opt for a six speed swap.

The six speed is a better transmission by design, and adds greater value to the car than a rebuilt 5 speed. No replacement gearset is going to correct the issue with the 5speed transmission case pushing apart under torque load.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless you are doing the work yourself, rebuilding a 5speed is going to cost just as much, and possibly more

6 speed swap - buy parts, drop 5speed, change drive shaft, install new parts, done

5 speed swap - buy parts, drop 5 speed, open 5 speed, rebuild 5 speed, install 5speed, done

It's the extra labor you'll need to spend money on for the transmission being rebuilt that convinces most of us to opt for a six speed swap.

The six speed is a better transmission by design, and adds greater value to the car than a rebuilt 5 speed. No replacement gearset is going to correct the issue with the 5speed transmission case pushing apart under torque load.
I like the idea of a 6 speed swap, i think its ideal, its just finding one.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
Here is all the information people need on the MFactory gears.

MFactory Gear set - NASIOC

Someday, if I need gears, it maybe between the Mfactory set and a 6-speed.
PPG 5-speed ~$?
STi 6-speed ~$4700 (DS1 Motorsports price, with shifter, and driveshaft)
Mfactory 5-speed ~$3150 (DS1 Motorsports, Gears, syncro's, and assembly, not installed in the car).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i dont have anything against the 6spd i know its an amazing tranny. im sure you anthony (bologna) with 04 silver sti 525hp and i remember along time ago persicion telling him if he wanted to go fast he needed a 5spd just because of the gear ratios or w.e being to short(i dont really know much about gearing im just saying what i remember so dont quote me on all that)and he used to get pulled hard by tom with electric blue evo even though he had more hps. thats really my only concern by no means am i against it at all i just thought i would be faster with a 5spd maybe a stupid thought but i dont know and thats why im asking. but it seems that the 6spd is the way to go. i know im never gonna see over 400 hps so maybe the gears wont matter. thanks for the advice though im gonna go read up on the trannys alittle more before i make my desicion

·
Registered
232 Posts

don't get me wrong i would love to have the sti 6 speed but the Mfactory 1-4 are 2200$ where a used sti goes for something around 3500-4500$ .. how much is it exactly to have the 5 speed rebuild?

so the main reason the gears brake in the 5 speed is the casing and not the gears being weak compare to the sti gears?

and if i am mistaking when you change the to an sti 6spd wouldn't you need to change your wheels also?

and last according to Mfactory the 1-4 gears have a rating of 500hp were the sti is 400 i believe, correc me if i am wrong.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
and last according to Mfactory the 1-4 gears have a rating of 500hp were the sti is 400 i believe, correc me if i am wrong.
Mfactory does not know how much HP their gears will take, but suggest only putting 400TQ to them.
The STI 6-speed has been known to go up to and above 700TQ.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
answers in line

don't get me wrong i would love to have the sti 6 speed but the Mfactory 1-4 are 2200$ where a used sti goes for something around 3500-4500$ .. how much is it exactly to have the 5 speed rebuild?
From what I've heard - transmission rebuilds are billed around 6-10 hours of labor at 80-120/hour

so the main reason the gears brake in the 5 speed is the casing and not the gears being weak compare to the sti gears?
I think it's a matter of both, when the gears start to pull apart you have less of a contact area taking the same amount of torque. For this reason even an aftermarket set of gears will be subject to the same stress. Ask around and see how many PPG and other aftermarket gearset owners have had to replace synchros in their "upgraded" 5 speeds. I know of two people first hand. One with PPG, and one with PAR.

and if i am mistaking when you change the to an sti 6spd wouldn't you need to change your wheels also?
Depends on which route you choose to follow. I still have the stock r160 rear and stock hubs/axles on my WRX. The 2006 STI transmission has a proper ratio in the center diff( I think it's 1.1:1) which allows you to retain the stock rear. Do some research and you'll find what's needed (axle stubs, circlips, A/T driveshaft, flywheel, etc).

It's your money, spend it as you like. But I'd be quite leery about trusting an aftermarket manufacturer about torque loads in such a static reference. AFAIK, it's torque and not hp that breaks gears. Torque is measured, horsepower is calculated. Also abuse and aggressive driving can completely toss things around plenty. Speaking of which, the "splash" type oiling system in the 5-speed could be considered another weak point.

As a single word argument for the six speed: DCCD (acronym, thanks jeremy96gase)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts