ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinkin about picking up an exhaust/muffler for my 02 wagon and id like some opinions on what would get me the best sound for a reasonable price

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
There is no "best".

What style do you want (e.g., angled, OE)?
How loud do you want it?
What do you want to spend?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I can't say much for best sound for your money, but I've been completely in love with my bosal twin tip since the first time I heard it. Not obnoxiously loud, the tip isn't annoyingly large, it's basically the stock tips but bigger...do like. But my advice is search around on zee youtubes and find one you consistently like the sound of.

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
I love my Cobb and hated my Invidia N1 Race. A few people love the Invidias. It's all preferential.

Keep in mind that the wagon will exhibit considerably more in-cabin drone at cruise. You might want to find someone with a wagon/exhaust and take a ride at some point.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I picked up and ebay brand for about $150 shipped if you want to keep it cheap. Only down fall is I have to leave one hanger unhooked. Sounds and looks great though!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
AccordRanger said:
I picked up and ebay brand for about $150 shipped if you want to keep it cheap. Only down fall is I have to leave one hanger unhooked. Sounds and looks great though!
eBay exhausts are loud, obnoxious, and drone. It gets old quick, especially if you get seat time in a car with a nicer exhaust.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Its actually quieter than most of the WRXs around town. It doesn't drone too bad either. I have no problem hearing my stereo over it at low volumes.

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
if you want quiet it seems like the borla hush is good and then sounds louder at higher rpms. i think thats what ill be looking into getting soon
Great exhaust

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Exhaust on a Subaru is like sexy time with the wimmenz...they are all different and everyone has an opinion on which one is best. But in reality, you have to experience it for yourself and make your own opinion. (Like dating...)Which one do you want to ultimately settle down with and have for a long period of time? Which one is loudest :p

Read: You have to hear different ones for yourself...find people local to you, such as at meets. Or at least go on youtube or look for vids to where you can get an IDEA of the sound. It won't be accurate because little digital cameras can't adequately reproduce the sound compared to what it really is...but it gives you a vague idea since you don't know really what there is.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Personally, I really enjoy my HKS hi power. However, if you opt for a turbo back, I do recommend getting a bellmouth downpipe, as would everyone else on here im sure haha. Btw, welcome to the forum/wrex ownership!

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
from what point in the exhaust should i start replacing? for longevity purposes
Longevity? So, I take it you want to keep the car on the stock tune?

If that's the case, you'll want an axle back (ABE), or a cat back (CBE) at most. You can not put a turbo back (TBE) on the car with the stock tune. Some would argue that even a CBE isn't the best idea. But the '02-'03 WRX's are generally accepted as safe to run on the stock tune with a CBE.

Most after market exhausts are 3".

-To mate a CBE to the stock DP, you would need a CBE that has a taper that goes from 3" to 2.5". There are also adapters available, but the simpler you can keep it, the better chance you have of it not leaking.

-You may have a hard time getting an ABE to mate to the stock mid pipe. It would need to be something with 2.5" piping. I have not seen adapters to mate a 3" ABE with the stock midpipe. But, they may exist.

Your 2003 has a different mid-pipe and downpipe setup than 2004-2007 WRX's. We have an extra pipe in there. Just an FYI. Definitely get new gaskets for any pipes you disturb. Oh, and if you get a CBE, i'd recommend getting new springs for the bolts that mate it to the DP. The springs get compressed over time and don't exert as much force on the gasket to seal it. Note that it doesn't matter how tight you make the bolts...that tension doesn't seal the union...it's the tension of the springs. For that gasket, clean the mating surfaces off with a wire wheel so it's perfectly clean. The DP to CBE union likes to leak if it's not installed perfectly.

Hope that helps. I'm in Wallingford if you ever want to hear a Cobb CBE with a stock downpipe. I have an '02 Wagon. Oh, and another thing, WRX exhausts are a lot quieter in the winter. In the summer, the car puts a lot more heat out. The exhaust is significantly louder in warm weather. I always love when spring comes around and the first warm day hits. I forget what my exhaust sounds like all winter. Haha.

-Nick

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
You can run any Subaru with a CBE without needing a tune.

02-03 WRXs can be run without a tune even with a TBE...though you just won't see the best performance results of the downpipe.

9.9 times out of 10, you won't have a problem mating a 3inch CBE to the 2.5inch downpipe. And for the record...the spring bolts, just aren't necessary :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
02-03 WRXs can be run without a tune even with a TBE...though you just won't see the best performance results of the downpipe.
I'll respectfully disagree that this is a good idea. After installing my TBE (a week before my tune) I watched my car over boost pretty readily in high gears. I had to take it easy until I got it up on the dyno and tuned properly.

-Nick

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I will respectfully agree with your disagreeing...I am only saying that it CAN be run without a tune, though it is not suggested and you won't see the benefits of having the aftermarket downpipe. I don't see it as a good idea either. Overboosting can happen yes, but it could happen whether you are tuned or not as it is a mechanical issue as opposed to a tuneable issue.

Its just known that you can run a DP on a bugeye without a tune, but not optimally. Where as with a 2004+ (especially getting to 2006+ with the EJ25) you have much more risk of doing damage without a tune.

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
I will respectfully agree with your disagreeing...I am only saying that it CAN be run without a tune, though it is not suggested and you won't see the benefits of having the aftermarket downpipe. I don't see it as a good idea either. Overboosting can happen yes, but it could happen whether you are tuned or not as it is a mechanical issue as opposed to a tuneable issue.

Its just known that you can run a DP on a bugeye without a tune, but not optimally. Where as with a 2004+ (especially getting to 2006+ with the EJ25) you have much more risk of doing damage without a tune.
Bugeyes have more latency in the switch from open to closed loop fueling. Since the DP directly affects the rear O2 sensor, this is the reason the 2004+ react differently to the DP installation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts