ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... ive been doing ALOT of searching on the internet. Currently i have an 07 sti that is bone stock with about 7000 miles. I have had the car for a decent amount of time by now and since day 1 ive been trying to choose my first aftermarket parts to buy. I have been doin a lot of thinking about this and i was looking to get a downpipe, exhaust and midpipe and an uppipe. As far as exhaust goes i like the sound of the greddy ti-c catback and the Invidia g200. As far as downpipes go I have been looking at the Turbo xs 4" and the Cobb 3". I was just wondering what you guys out there are currently running and what you think the best choices are.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Hello, not sure where you been doing your search but you may try our search engine and read previous thread about exhausts with your model year. You will learn that you do not need an up pipe becasue it does not have a cat in it like the previous years did. Also you will want to learn about boost spike/creep. You'll need a downpipe with a cat and some form of engine mgmt. Check it out and good luck

EDIT also if your looking for a turbo back that looks like stock, and isnt insanely loud COBB is a good way to go, Otherwise invidia has a nice large opening with a blue anadized tip, and sounds quite loud.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Hello, not sure where you been doing your search but you may try our search engine and read previous thread about exhausts with your model year. You will learn that you do not need an up pipe becasue it does not have a cat in it like the previous years did. Also you will want to learn about boost spike/creep. You'll need a downpipe with a cat and some form of engine mgmt. Check it out and good luck
+674,975 lots of info already out there to answer these questions

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
waeschej said:
Hey guys... ive been doing ALOT of searching on the internet. Currently i have an 07 sti that is bone stock with about 7000 miles. I have had the car for a decent amount of time by now and since day 1 ive been trying to choose my first aftermarket parts to buy. I have been doin a lot of thinking about this and i was looking to get a downpipe, exhaust and midpipe and an uppipe. As far as exhaust goes i like the sound of the greddy ti-c catback and the Invidia g200. As far as downpipes go I have been looking at the Turbo xs 4" and the Cobb 3". I was just wondering what you guys out there are currently running and what you think the best choices are.
I was told Invidia catted DP (you can read about catless '07s having problems sometimes) would yield the best power gains (TDC Tuning - NH). If you like the sound of the G200, I'd say go with the Invidia catted DP + G200 and get an AP to use it safely.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I was told Invidia catted DP (you can read about catless '07s having problems sometimes) would yield the best power gains (TDC Tuning - NH). If you like the sound of the G200, I'd say go with the Invidia catted DP + G200 and get an AP to use it safely.
Was that the bellmouth of divorced?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Gaza said:
Was that the bellmouth of divorced?
The catless version has a divorced and bellmouth option. The catted is only divorced.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The catless version has a divorced and bellmouth option. The catted is only divorced.
Ah, gotcha. I was interested in buying a DP for mine. That's why I was asking. Is there some sort of midpipe that bolts in between the DP and cat-back? Yes, I know I should search, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask. :redface:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have done some searching on this site and have come to find that i will need to get a catted dp with an 07. Im thinking of goin with the invidia divorced catted dp. Is this ok to run with a Greddy ti-c? only reason being that i like the sound of the tic better. im still very new to the subaru world so bear with me lol. Im startin to do some research on boost creep.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Do not do anything to your car prior to some kind of engine management.

After you install your exhaust I suggest installing a fuel pump, possible injectors, and geting a tune at a reputable tuner who has worked on 07's before.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Save your money when coming to an Up Pipe. They aren't necessary on 07s because they already do not have a cat in them.

Turboback exhaust should always be used with some form of engine management so that your car will run correctly and will be able to raise boost safely, manage fuel, etc etc etc.

As for exhaust...its a personal question of what you want. When you are looking for full turbo back exhausts, they all pretty much perform the same when run with proper EM. So from this point, its up to budget, sound, quality of build, and looks...and thats what you want to think about...

·
Registered
8 Posts
COBB CATTED DOWNPIPE + HKS HIGH FLOW CATBACK. I wouldn't worry too much on your uppipe... Just get a catted downpipe and an HKS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was looking at the invidia g200 and the greddy ti-c.... as for a dp i was looking at the turbo xs 4" and the invidia catted divorced dp.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
waeschej said:
as for a dp i was looking at the turbo xs 4" and the invidia catted divorced dp.
When I consulted TDC Tuning (NH) about catted DPs, I was told Invidia was the way to go (over Cobb, TurboXS, and Helix).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Do not do anything to your car prior to some kind of engine management.

After you install your exhaust I suggest installing a fuel pump, possible injectors, and geting a tune at a reputable tuner who has worked on 07's before.
What's the reasoning for the new fuel pump and injectors? :confused:

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing...but 302 has a lot of good knowledge so I didn't want to be the one to question it...:rotfl:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing...but 302 has a lot of good knowledge so I didn't want to be the one to question it...:rotfl:
Someone had to ask. :redface:

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Several stock 07's have reported IDC's in the 100%+ range on stock tunes. The injectors appear to be working VERY hard on stage 1 cars and even more so on certain stage 2 cars. Meaning sooner or later the added stress is going to create a failure.

The fuel system appears at this point to be in adequate to support stage 2 on certain cars. For the extra money it's worth the "saftey" net of have lower IDC's. If you are getting a ProTune it's well worth it IMHO at this point. The 07's flow more air due to the different heads/wastegate design but yet SOA gave us smaller injectors.

Sevearl of the "big" tuners have started to recommend this upgrade path. Cobb has not as I assume their stage 2 map is fairly conserative like it has been on previous models. I'd still add a fuel pump to a Cobb OTS map if I were to do one.

There is a ton of debate still about 07 tuning. I realize some of it is probaly a bit much but there are numerous failures at numerious different levels of modification. Better safe then sorry when you already voided the powertrain warranty.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
^^^Thats a great explanation dude. Appreciated.

But you are right with the tuning as I've been on your side with this from day 1, as it started with the WOT hesitation.

The stock tune as well as Cobb OTS maps that only "enhance" the stock tune, see wide ranged Lean conditions which have led to Piston melting and bearing spinning in 07s, even without any mods. :sadwave:

These problems are not related to the fuel system however as explained to me by Hill at Agile. He laid out the stock map to me and showed how lean it runs, and how the Cobb maps don't really improve it. But When you protune, you can actually get the most out of the fuel system as it is actually dialed back by the stock map.

But as you said above, you can only improve and prevent with upgraded injectors and a fuel pump, especially when modding and tuning is in your future :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts