Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use these car waxes? Which one is best?

www.zainobros.com
www.winnerschoiceproducts.com
www.zymol.com
www.meguiars.com

I've heard that meguiars was really easy to apply/buff, and I guess zymol has a good reputation, but does anyone know about the first two? ..is it safe to assume that stuff not available at Target is better than the stuff that is?

And I couldn't tell if this was a completely unbiased test or not:

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

Wondering what y'all think
-KLK :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've always been happy with Meguiars products. Their quick detailing spray is great to carry around in your trunk, too.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
don't forget Mother's. I think they are better than Zaino and Macguires. The three step treatment is a great wash/wax. i do it once a season.

dR

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... :) sounds like this is a matter of personal preference.

dR, thanks for the tip on mother's, here is the closest link I could find on it:
http://www.autosupermart.com/shop/brands/mothers.html ..what do you think of the NSX comparison test? I guess they didn't try Mother's, but maybe you have? What's the downside of Zaino's?

DUI: sounds like you agree with the guy who did the wax comparison at http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

jmimac351: That's a good website, I especially like the pointers/tips. I haven't looked at the free detailing guidebook; will download it soon as I get on a windows machine.

iv30: Also a good website; the Starter Car Kit seems like a good deal. ... hmm.. carnuba...

...The Verdict: Since I'm lazy and don't want to wax my car all the time, I'm leaning towards getting a synthetic. At this point, there's more postive stuff on Zaino's than the rest. Is it silicon based? Is Z1 and Z2 really all I need?
-KLK :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Klancek,

Go to this site and have a look around in the forums. Some like Zaino. Some like other products. There is a new synthetic wax out called Blackfire. You may want to check that out as well.

Jim

Autopia

·
Registered
242 Posts
For you guys who do not like to wax your car a lot there is a product called Formula AT-5 made by Gem Industries. They claim this stuff holds up for 6 months and resists bugs, bird droppings, salt and intense sun. I've used it with my orbital, it does work well but it's a bitch to get off.

https://www1.quik.com/wholesalecarcare/start.html

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for showing me autopia; that Blackfire stuff is interesting. To the chemist in me, it looks like a car-wax version of Rain-X, a silicon bond to the clear-coat (instead of the glass surface). ..but apparantly Zaino lasts longer. hmm..

Flyboy: holy underwear! That looks like industrial strength stuff... When you say orbital, are you referring to a space shuttle? :) (..uh.. ..and the answer is "yes, I am a big dork.") Oh, maybe you're talking about a power buffer. *ack* I was hoping to avoid getting one of those..

NuFinish. I remember when that came out.. (I think) Once a year, huh? I think for now I'll be a bit more picky. She's WR Blue, afterall... :) just gonna require more attention. (and look better) :p

..still leaning towards the Zaino..
-Lance

·
Registered
242 Posts
klancek said:
When you say orbital, are you referring to a space shuttle? :) (..uh.. ..and the answer is "yes, I am a big dork.") Oh, maybe you're talking about a power buffer. *ack* I was hoping to avoid getting one of those..
No, don't go the power buffer route, you can seriously damage your finish by burning it if you hold a buffer in one position too long. An orbital, or random orbital basically vibrates across the surface of the paint, it does not create near the friction or heat that a buffer does. A buffer simply spins at a high speed in a circular direction. I use Gem Industries' 16lb orbital. The weight of the orbital is an important factor because it actually massages the polish or wax into the finish. This is not like the orbital that you'll find in Wal-Mart or Sears that only weighs a couple of pounds. It definitely takes the work out of waxing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
woops, thanks for correcting my terminology slip up..

..hopefully I can avoid getting a motorized whatever.. :p But I believe you when you say it speeds up the job.. the WRX has a suprisingly tall roof, even for twigs like me. But the plan is that waxing will occur 2 times a year.. *cross-fingers*

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the Porter Cable 7336 orbital sander. You can get it at Lowe's for ~$105. Many people use it and are happy with it - as am I. At the Classic Motoring Accessories website they sell a starter kit that has the Velcro-backed disc for the Porter Cable and several different foam pads of different cutting levels depending on the condition of your paint. Also includes a terry cloth bonnet. I've used the pads and am happy with them. They also sell the twin of the Porter Cable I list above only for a lot more money. (I think the difference is that one is marketed as a sander, the other as a pofessional polisher - same exact machine) The Porter Cable definitely makes the job easier. It's makes the process much more fun rather than a chore.

This is what I use depending on which car I am cleaning:

Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner or Pinnacle Paint Cleaner (The former if the paint is oxidized, the latter for the new car)

Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze (Polish)

Pinnacle Souveran Wax

The Souveran wax does not last long. It's not made to... But I'm very happy with it. On Black or Red they say the results are pretty awesome. I would imagine the same for Blue...

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
I heard about One Grand Blitz Wax on a Boxster board several years ago and have been hooked. (My Boxster lease is up this summer and I will be getting a WRX). This stuff is easy to apply and lasts forever. Zymol and Meguiars always seems to last about a day. I would highly recommend it for people who use their car daily.

You can purchase it at www.carcareonline.com
That site also has several good PDF's of car care tips.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey jin kim, welcome to the board..

And thanks for the tip, and another good source of free detailing advice. The Blitz has a great reputation on autopia, sounds like the best durable carnuba. With hopes of remaining as lazy as possible (..must.. resist.. the urge.. to wax.. , I'm still leaning towards a synthetic. Will post once the Zaino arrives and I have a day to play with it..
-Lance :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wax

IMHO all of the above waxes mentioned above are very good. Almost any wax that has 100% carnuba will provide excellent results. The key is to make sure the applicator is very clean and free of particles. I prefer to hand rub the finish although I do know some people who use the orbitals with good results. The wax I have used for close to 10 years is " KIT". It is 100 % carnuba. I used once a year on my 9 year old trade in and still had positive comments about the finish on the car, even from the dealers!!! The best thing about the wax is that it only costs 2-3.99. I waxed my trade last June and when I traded it in last week the water was still beading off of it and barely had to be wiped dry!!! So for now Im stickin' with my "KIT".

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree, I use KIT a lot and like it as well. The other day I tried applying the wax using only my hand, it worked very well.

·
1,377 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes, that is true, a wax that contained 100% carnauba would probably cost about $500. Most waxes contain a small percentage of carnauba.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts