Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so debating right now.
Help.
Just give me the best cars under 30k
I keep telling my wife I'm getting a new WRX, but she has been pushing Honda Accords and other cars at me. I want the best all around car of course. Butt-dyno is important, cause I want a car that will put a smile on my face but not kill my wallet with gas and insurance. Another key factor is reliability. I know Honda isn't too bad with reliability and neither is the Subaru. Damn it, I'm so stuck looking for a new car. I want it to be the car I keep for many many years. Advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
70 Posts
Had this same dilemma for a while but i got a 17 wrx and i couldnt be happier.
I enjoy the power, handling, its also confortable consideting the way it handles has a good amount of space and trunk. And its probably the cheapest sorts sedan u can get. Try finding an accord or camry that are awd for 27k and have 270hp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,460 Posts
I'd probably buy the Accord. Our Honda has been a better car than our Subaru, and Imprezas are getting expensive. I can't address the smile factor, I tend to see things less enthusiastically as time goes on.

· Registered
70 Posts
My brother in law actually bought a 16 accord two weeks after i bought my wrx. Hes paying 120 bucks more a month. And he got the v6 base, nit the touring. Granted the v6 is very well equipped and i actually really like his car because its really nice inside and has lot of toys. Yet i feel that anyone who like to have fun driving wouldnt enjoy it anywhere near as much as you would a wrx. The accord v6 is actually pretty luxurious though. Luxury vs fun

· Registered
863 Posts
Honestly, I liked my old Accord coupe and it was only a 4 cylinder. I considered an Accord as a replacement car, especially the V-6, but the WRX just has a certain fun factor and while the WRX is certainly not a rare car, it is no Accord -- or what I am trying to say is that while it is very reliable, has some neat tech and is a very good car, it's also rather common (right up there with the other reliable family sedan -- the Camry.)

Of course, coming here and asking us for unbiased advice could be a challenge . . . I suspect most of us will say the WRX is more fun to drive and reliable. If you went to a Honda site you may see folks saying the more reliable Honda would be the car to purchase. Personally, I think you would be happy with either . . . but more happy with a WRX.

One selling point for the WRX . . . depending on where you live . . . is the AWD of the WRX. Put a set of snow tires on this car and you'll be able to drive through just about anything. With my old Accord and all season tires driving on snowy days was sometimes sketchy and I got in the habit of taking my 4WD, gas guzzling truck on days when snow was forecast.

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
My brother in law actually bought a 16 accord two weeks after i bought my wrx. Hes paying 120 bucks more a month. And he got the v6 base, nit the touring. Granted the v6 is very well equipped and i actually really like his car because its really nice inside and has lot of toys. Yet i feel that anyone who like to have fun driving wouldnt enjoy it anywhere near as much as you would a wrx. The accord v6 is actually pretty luxurious though. Luxury vs fun

Saying your brother in law is paying more per month is of no relevance really. I could pay 120 more per month for a WRX than I do for my STi if I financed it a certain way.

Not to mention as much as a lot of people won't want to hear it, a v6 accord is just as fast, if not faster, than a stock WRX. Wider aftermarket for the WRX of course.

OP, in the end, it depends on what you want. All of your options thusfar are fun econobox cars, and it all comes down to your wants and needs. Hondas and subarus will both hold their value well. The Honda will be more comfortable, the Subaru will have a more sport oriented suspension setup and the Honda will have more creature comforts. The other obvious difference is AWD vs FWD.

· Registered
768 Posts
I had a V-4 Accord coupe from a few years ago. It was indeed fun to drive.

The current V-6 manual sounds really nice. I think it looks pretty cool as well. My neighbor got a V-4 recently--very classy in black--but had a really hard time finding a manual--most models sold these days in our neck of the woods are automatic.

The performance sounds good, though reviews mention the FWD handling to be a bit anemic--based on the sedan. The amenities seem attractive as well.

It does look like the V-6 is a couple thousand more than the WRX though. The rear seat is not nearly as functional as the WRX's. And it's not AWD.

http://www.motorwayamerica.com/review/honda-accord-coupe-v6-—-driving-delight

On the other hand, I will vouch for Honda reliability. My 2001 Accord had 180K on it when I sold it, without a major repair. My daughter is driving my old 2005 CRV which has 172K, again without a major repair.

· Registered
70 Posts
Saying your brother in law is paying more per month is of no relevance really. I could pay 120 more per month for a WRX than I do for my STi if I financed it a certain way.

Not to mention as much as a lot of people won't want to hear it, a v6 accord is just as fast, if not faster, than a stock WRX. Wider aftermarket for the WRX of course.

OP, in the end, it depends on what you want. All of your options thusfar are fun econobox cars, and it all comes down to your wants and needs. Hondas and subarus will both hold their value well. The Honda will be more comfortable, the Subaru will have a more sport oriented suspension setup and the Honda will have more creature comforts. The other obvious difference is AWD vs FWD.
Youre right about the payment. Maybe i should have been more specific. My cars price was 27k his was 34k. Whichever way yoh cut it the v6 is more expensive. And in term of straight line speed yeah theyre probably neck and neck. But if u buy a wrx for straightline speed youre buying it for the wrong reason. The wrx has enough power to be fun but it really just enough power so that you can enjoy it on a mountain road without having a hard time going uphill lol

· Registered
70 Posts
Although i do have to say his was way more equipped. Though that was the base v6 and they had no v6s that were less than 34k. Im sure they do exist. But considering we went to one of the largest honda dealers in los angeles that had two large parking lots full of v6 accords, I doubt it would be easy to find a cheaper v6 elsewhere.

I will say i never considered getting an accord until i tried his, it drives well has a lots of power its and its comfortable.

· Premium Member
47,181 Posts
I had a V-4 Accord coupe from a few years ago. It was indeed fun to drive.
A V4 Accord? What year was that? :)
Kidding around, there's no such thing. 4 cylinder Accords were inline-4's..you're hardly the first person I've heard make that error.

"Best Car" is insanely subjective. When I was shopping for a new car in 2013, (with a $30K cap), I wound up with a new BRZ, because I had driven another 86-platform car, and fell in love with the carve-the-road-up-handling characteristics, and the overall feel of the car. But that's me..someone else may want a straight-line monster, which my present car most assuredly is not.

· Registered
70 Posts
A V4 Accord? What year was that? :)
Kidding around, there's no such thing. 4 cylinder Accords were inline-4's..you're hardly the first person I've heard make that error.

"Best Car" is insanely subjective. When I was shopping for a new car in 2013, (with a $30K cap), I wound up with a new BRZ, because I had driven another 86-platform car, and fell in love with the carve-the-road-up-handling characteristics, and the overall feel of the car. But that's me..someone else may want a straight-line monster, which my present car most assuredly is not.
I agree with you. It really is about what you value most in a car. If u value handling cjaracteristics or maybe a more comfy ride with morr gadgets

· Registered
70 Posts
Op. One last point. I think im probably replying too much. But its importsnt. If u do pick an accord. Dont get the 4 banger. I drove one and it had the cvt.it was so sluggish and it sounded like it was gonna blow up. Seriously kne of the worst feeling transmissions ive encountered. And i know it neuters that engine since ive driven older i-4 accords that had enough power for day to day use

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,787 Posts
Between an accord and a WRX the accord is the all around better choice. There isn't even a comparison really. Even if the accord is 6-7k more expensive it's completely worth the investment.

The v6 accord is plenty fast, easily as fast as the WRX, it's comfortable, much better built, far more reliable, historically cheaper to work on, aftermarket parts are cheaper and more widely available, and they are usually cheaper to insure.

The WRX is kind of a niche vehicle. It lacks in almost every aspect but we own them because we like them, and their quirks don't bother us.

· Registered
70 Posts
Between an accord and a WRX the accord is the all around better choice. There isn't even a comparison really. Even if the accord is 6-7k more expensive it's completely worth the investment.

The v6 accord is plenty fast, easily as fast as the WRX, it's comfortable, much better built, far more reliable, historically cheaper to work on, aftermarket parts are cheaper and more widely available, and they are usually cheaper to insure.

The WRX is kind of a niche vehicle. It lacks in almost every aspect but we own them because we like them, and their quirks don't bother us.

Thats pretty fair although i dont think paying 7k more is worth it. Especially since i know buying a 3 or 4 year old wrx with 30 to 50k still costs around 24-26k which is very close to their original price and i dont see accords that are 4 years old costing 30k. So it may be an invesyment in yhe sense that youre getting a lot of car for that cash but not in the sense that youll be getting that investment back on the resale

15,787 Posts
Thats pretty fair although i dont think paying 7k more is worth it. Especially since i know buying a 3 or 4 year old wrx with 30 to 50k still costs around 24-26k which is very close to their original price and i dont see accords that are 4 years old costing 30k. So it may be an invesyment in yhe sense that youre getting a lot of car for that cash but not in the sense that youll be getting that investment back on the resale

I've seen a lot of people ask that price for a used WRX with 50k but asking and what people pay are completely different things. It's also worth noting people are paying sti prices for a WRX from dealerships because they are dumb enough to pay whatever is asked. so that 25k 4 year old car that you think coat 27 new, actually cost 35k new because it's got every option in limited trim. Yes the cars tend to have a solid resale value however, if that is your only concern buy a used car.

Although reliability can be debated, the WRX is not known as a long running vehicle. Many folks have seen 150 or 200k on an original engine, however it's as common to see one dead around 90-110k, a Honda engine is just breaking in. There isn't any argument here for the WRX being a better vehicle all around. I love my car but I am well aware of the fact it is a toy and not a practical vehicle.

· Registered
70 Posts
I've seen a lot of people ask that price for a used WRX with 50k but asking and what people pay are completely different things. It's also worth noting people are paying sti prices for a WRX from dealerships because they are dumb enough to pay whatever is asked. so that 25k 4 year old car that you think coat 27 new, actually cost 35k new because it's got every option in limited trim. Yes the cars tend to have a solid resale value however. However if that is your only concern buy a used car.

Although reliability can be debated, the WRX is not known as a long running vehicle. Many folks have seen 150 or 200k on an original engine, however it's as common to see one dead around 90-110k, a Honda engine is just breaking in. There isn't any argument here for the WRX being a better vehicle all around. I love my car but I am well aware of the fact it is a toy and not a practical vehicle.

Maybe in la theyre more expensive but i see a lot of these prices not only on limited trims.ive heard that in places that have actual winters tend to have much cheaper wrxs since yhere are a lit more of those available on the secondhand market. But yeah im not arguing reliability. A wrx is not gonna be as reliable usually as a honda.

· Registered
70 Posts
I've seen a lot of people ask that price for a used WRX with 50k but asking and what people pay are completely different things. It's also worth noting people are paying sti prices for a WRX from dealerships because they are dumb enough to pay whatever is asked. so that 25k 4 year old car that you think coat 27 new, actually cost 35k new because it's got every option in limited trim. Yes the cars tend to have a solid resale value however. However if that is your only concern buy a used car.

I also think that our cars are toys to an extent. But theyre practical enough (4 doors, enough space, ok sized trunk, they get v6 comparable mileage, theyre very safe awd )to be justified to buy while still having a really fun car. I think that if op wanted only practicality he wouldnt say that power matters. If practicality was was all he was after he wouldnt have asked the question or compared the accord and the wrx.
If practicality is all he cared about hed probably get a hybrid honda or something like that because on top of the normal practicality, Hed have awesome mpgs. He wouldnt have considered a car like the wrx

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
The new Mazda6 was a FANTASTIC car in my experience with it (a few drives, and some feedback from good friends with 6M/T versions of their own). It was on my short list for DD replacements for the STI, but ultimately, I decided on more utility / ground clearance and bought a Tacoma.

It's not the fastest car, but it offers great gas mileage, and can still be fun on twisty roads. I did a write-up a while back:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/comparison-wrx-vs-world/134483121-2016-mazda-6-touring-6m-t.html

You'll see the Tacoma mentioned in that thread, and I kinda discounted it (I have always been able to borrow an F150 / F550 dump truck, if needed). I wasn't quite in the financial state to buy one, and I didn't think it was worth it at the time. Having put a little over 1000 miles on my truck, I'm glad I went the route I did.

But, at a price point well below your $30K limit, you could buy both the Mazda6 as a DD and an additional "fun" car to drive on weekends. If you live in the snow belt, add another $1000 or so for good winter tires, but FWD + Nokians is pretty great in any weather conditions (I'll take my AWD Subaru / 4WD Tacoma + Nokians over that, but still).

15,787 Posts
I also think that our cars are toys to an extent. But theyre practical enough (4 doors, enough space, ok sized trunk, they get v6 comparable mileage, theyre very safe awd )to be justified to buy while still having a really fun car. I think that if op wanted only practicality he wouldnt say that power matters. If practicality was was all he was after he wouldnt have asked the question or compared the accord and the wrx.
If practicality is all he cared about hed probably get a hybrid honda or something like that because on top of the normal practicality, Hed have awesome mpgs. He wouldnt have considered a car like the wrx

Even in a non practical standpoint. It gets better mileage, it's base model has a nicer interior, they drive great, the v6 is quick, gets better real world fuel economy, and can be had used with warranty for great prices, have a solid aftermarket, they perform great in all weather conditions, have a more usable rear seat, and more driver room.

Those are many of the complaints people have with Subaru in general. Even people just wanting the performance factor hate the stereo, complain about lack of lumbar support, creeks, pops, road noise, paint, and on and on.

You can buy anything you want to buy, but there are absolutely awesome cars in the WRX price point and even below depending on what trim level that are super fun to drive and practical. Mazda has made a real push to make their cars engaging to drive, and have great prices. Heck most anyone will tell you the Miata is a riot to drive even being lower powered.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.