Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whose performance Pulley kit is the best? I have found 4, Vishnu, AEM, GFB, and Unorthodox.

Unorthodox Is the most expensive
AEMs is the cheapest
Vishnu and GFB both seem to give solid HP gains.

Which is the best bang for the buck?

Has anyone done the Pulleys withour doing other mods so that they can tell a difference?

·
Premium Member
17,861 Posts
when I got the Unorthodox racing underdrive pulley installed it was like going from 18" wheels n tires too 16" wheels n tires ....noticable ....
you do need different belts though :) also on idle only there is a slight dimming of the lights ...

I would probably go with the GFB (GoFastBits) if i had to do it again only because they are lighter but not underdriven ....and they use the stock size belts like the factory :)

Andy...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm no expert with the WRX but.....there is no reason an underdrive crank pulley would do anything but good things. The lights diming is a result of using the underdrive alternator pulley which is a bad bad idea. As a simple bolt on I would absolutely suggest getting the underdrive crank pully.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i put in a vishnu powerpulley set, they are light, they give u the new belts, and it looks nice too. I mean u dont feel like a huge change in your car, but it feels a little smoother i guess. Good luck with the crank pulley though, that things a biotch to get out(at least it was for me) get a breaker bar, thats the only way i got mine out.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I agree with Jim. The crank pulley is most critical to enhanced performance. The TB racing pulley is very light and uses the stock belts. I doesn't underdrive so there is no effect on the alternator,
power steering, or A/C.

misterx

·
Registered
188 Posts
Speaking of TB RACING pullies, I just happen to know someone who is taking preorders for the next batch right now :)

If you're nice I'll try to get him to let you have them at say... 115 plus shipping.

5 bucks extra and you can get it in red or blue as well.

Well that is if I can convince him :)

This offer will be good for one week.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
To anybody wondering whether to go for a set of the TB racin pulleys... I say "go for it!"

I threw mine on more than 1,000 miles ago and I love it! Easier to rev-match, quicker engine rev/pickup... What's not to like?

Aloha,
Richard...

·
: : J-Lovin Moderator: :
556 Posts
Do getting different pulley's get rid of that tick tick tick sound when your driving and idleing? I get when I'm driving. It happened ever since I took out the silencer. But now I have in greddy intake and the sound is still there. Is this normal? Also how hard is it to install?

Jason

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
i've been looking into this as well...I asked the performance installer at my dealer and he said the GFB are the best. They're lighter, you get an alternator pulley (which is ALSO lighter and eliminates the dimming problem), and comes with all the belts necessary. it also doesn't raise any warranty concerns, and the dealer even installs them.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
blarg said:
i've been looking into this as well...I asked the performance installer at my dealer and he said the GFB are the best. They're lighter, you get an alternator pulley (which is ALSO lighter and eliminates the dimming problem), and comes with all the belts necessary. it also doesn't raise any warranty concerns, and the dealer even installs them.
I agree. If you HAVE TO HAVE underdrive, GFB is the way to go.

-Jim

·
Registered
249 Posts
Of the mentioned pulleys, which ones are the same diameter as the stock. I think TB is, but I'm not sure about the rest. I'm assuming Vishnu and GFB are larger and that's why they ship with new belts.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I expect your question was rhetorical.

Nevertheless, the TB pulley is stock diameter, uses stock belts, looks stock, and is reasonably priced.

The others are not stock diameter so they need non-stock belts. Assuming an identical tooth pattern, which is necessary because all of the pulleys cannot be replaced, the only variable by which the belt would differ is length. If the length differs, obviosly, the pulley diameter is different.

misterx

·
Registered
198 Posts
opening a can of worms

Also note that if you replace your crank pulley you will be removing one of the harmonic dampeners on your car.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Without putting more worms in the can, I understood the Subaru boxer engine is internally balanced and does not rely on the pulley or the fly wheel for proper operation.

I'd like to hear others weigh in on this subject. I know there are others here with a far better grasp on the subject than me.

misterx

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm not sure about the internal balancing of the engine - however the stock crank pulley that I removed from my engine was definitely weighted precisely and contained a rubber dampening ring...

Aloha,
Richard...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is GFB's response to that question...

When using a GFB Power Up Pulley Kit, is there any problem with the removal of the harmonic balancer?

Since the crank pulley in our Power-Up Pulley Kit replaces the factory harmonic balancer, people often express concern for the effect that this will have. It is important to understand the task of a harmonic balancer and why they are fitted to explain the effects of fitting a lightweight pulley.

What is a harmonic balancer?....A better name for a harmonic balancer would be "torsional dampener" since its main task is to absorb the rotational pulses inflicted on the crankshaft by the pistons. Most often it is incorporated into the crank pulley by attaching the outer belt drive ring to the inner by means of vulcanized rubber. At the right RPM, it is possible for a resonant frequency to be set up torsionally on the crankshaft. Resonant frequency occurs when the pulses of the engine correspond with the natural frequency of the crankshaft and it ancillary components. However, since factory pulleys are often comparatively heavy (reasons for this are described later) it is actually the large mass (and therefore inertia) of the factory harmonic balancer and flywheel that will help to excite this natural frequency. So by dramatically reducing the weight and inertia of the crank pulley, the natural frequency of the crankshaft is shifted and its ability to self-excite is greatly reduced. So in fact it is the harmonic balancer's own weight that necessitates the dampening, and since the weight of a GFB crank pulley is typically about 20% of the factory component it cannot supply an exciting force significant enough to damage the crankshaft.

An opinion often expressed is "if the manufacturer put it there, it must be there for a reason". However, if you look at it from the car manufacturer's point of view, casting pulleys from steel is very cheap and easy, because they can be produced in large numbers and there is no waste (as opposed to machining them from billet). But because the resulting pulley weighs significantly more than one made from aluminium alloy, it requires dampening.

Manufacturers will always build cars (even high performance cars) to suit the widest possible selection of driving scenarios and drivers, which means there are always compromises. The weight of the flywheel and pulley also affect how fast the revs drop between gear shifts, and a production car is designed to only allow the revs to drop fast enough for average shifts. If you hurry the shift the revs will be too high for the next gear, resulting in a sharp jerk as the momentum of the engine transmits through the drivetrain. Reducing the engines' inertia with a lightweight pulley kit allows faster and smoother shifting.

When looking at high performance engines such as those found in Honda VTEC equipped cars and the S2000, it is obvious that manufacturers do understand the benefits of reducing engine inertia, and have utilized lightweight pulleys to help the power output and responsiveness without the use of a harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I installed the Vishnu this weekend...Love it! Works great and havn't noticed any ill effects. Can definitely 'feel' this one with the butt dyno. Took about an hour to replace.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts