ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im going with a blue, black, and gold theme for my wrex, and I thought a set of blue headlights and fog lights would be a nice touch! Only problem is, I dont know what brand I should get. I tried some super sports, and xenon (just lights from napa) and they looked like POOP. I need the manufacturer to produce both lights, so they will have the same intensity and whatnot! THE BLU-ER, THE BETTER!(as long as they arent like 100 bucks lol) All suggestions welcomed! thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,231 Posts
I don't want to see this thread develop into an argument, so I'll state that right up front.

That said, I recommend you avoid the goal because blue lights simply don't work as well. There are a number of reasons and I won't bore you, but actually the blue-er, the worse not better.

If your headlamps are hazed, clean them up, then consider 9007 Xtravision bulbs or any other + bulb that does not state higher wattage and is not tinted blue.

Sorry to disagree. I can't figure out how to suggest you get that look you want without a compromise in light output, and thus safety.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Any tint = diminished light output.

Drive at night with sunglasses?

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Don't do it - these cars don't have great lighting to begin with, why make it worse?

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I think they've gotten the point around about the blue. Raw science is that blue/violet is the most scattered wavelength of light that we can see so our eyes dont pick up that part of the visible spectrum as well.

Most blue bulbs are also severely over wattage to overcome the blue filter.. and you dont want melted harnesses/headlights

What you might want to do though is maybe work out some sort of hyper white or similar accent lighting (dunno if your 02 has city lights in the headlight assy like the blob eye cars do) .. so when your parking lights are on you can keep that blue/black ghostly look but have a proper white/offwhite headlight bulb.

Local laws and more importantly, how they're enforced may also be stumbling blocks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Do you think I could cheat by using an LED settup? I read they dont produce high temps...
I would like to discourage you from doing that as well. Your halogen reflector housing won't be able to properly focus an LED light source. LED bulbs usually contain multiple light emitting diodes that are not in the same position and they do not emit light the same way a conventional halogen filament does.

I'm guessing you're trying to go for a blueish light look? In all honesty light starts to become unusable over 4300k (that the point where light turns from yellowish white to blue). Un-tinted halogen bulbs are a little below that temperature. People usually get the misconception that fancy luxury cars are equipped with a light source that emit blue/purple light. The reality is that they don't. The blueish tint comes from the light refraction above the cutoff of a projector lens. If you look closely at the light projected to the ground it should be white with a slight tint of yellow. Oem's always use 4300k temp bulbs that are very similar to clear halogen bulbs.

As bad as it sounds going against everyone's recommendation above. I would rather you use a tinted halogen bulb over LED's or HID's if you're keen on making your headlights blue. It would still suck, but not as much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts