ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[other than exhaust]basically I am looking for the best way to increase performance/horsepower without spending like 1500 bux on some performance package that a company sets up that will give you only like 30 horse. Now I was thinking about BOV,Manuel Boost Control, increase psi like 2 or 3 and maybe an intake even though most people say to avoid an intake. Well, let me know your thoughts and suggestions that you guys noticed the biggest differences in,

:wiggles:ThanX...:wiggles:

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
You've started one thread and revived 2 others, all asking about using an intake. Please search.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You gotta be careful raising boost with a stock setup. Your exhaust can get too hot and melt the uppipe cat and send it right into your turbo and really fvck things up. You intake will also lean your car out with a stock setup and mess things up. Look into a Cobb stage 2 setup. You can get a reflash from them, which will raise the boost and make in come on harder and stay longer. With this setup all you need is a turbo back exhaust. Just look into a helix downpipe or even uppipe and downpipe combo. With this setup you can just about gain up to 55hp. And let me tell you that you will feel the gain! You can get the downpipe and reflash for $700 or you can get an uppipe/downpipe package and raise the package to $850. Definetly worth it!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good wake and the reason I meant BOV is so if I raise the boost it won't mess it up so it can handle the boost and with a manuel boost controller I can raise psi. With an exhaust gauge I can tell temp so it wont be too lean/rich and thats why i was thinking that.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
2 words. Engine Management. since you dont wanna be spendin 1000+ that'd leave a UTEC out of the picture, but thats more for advanced tuners anyways. You could get a reflash on your current ecu, OR if youre the patient type, you could put in an order for an accessport and wait 3 months to get it (im in my first months wait, still 2 to go :D ) exhaust w/ engine management should make it feel like a brand new car. I wouldnt know personally (yet) but i do read a lot on these boards, hehe.

BOV's and intakes are just noisemakers that COULD adversely affect the performance in your car. there are some shorty intakes you can get that wont hurt the car (so ive read) , and if you really want a bov, its best to go w/ a hybrid like the GFB 50/50 so there is still some recirculation into the intake. Now, they wont ADD any performance to your car, but they wont really hurt it either.

I think the stock bypass valve can handle up to somthing like 19psi? i may be wrong, but thats the number thats jumping out at me right now. If not, my excuse is that i only got 3 and half hours of sleep last night and my brain has not been functioning all day :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
caffeineOasis said:
basically I am looking for the best way to increase performance/horsepower without spending like 1500 bux on some performance package
Good luck. You could get sti badges off ebay.......they are cheap and good for 5 horse.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
caffeineOasis said:
[other than exhaust]basically I am looking for the best way to increase performance/horsepower without spending like 1500 bux on some performance package that a company sets up that will give you only like 30 horse. Now I was thinking about BOV,Manuel Boost Control, increase psi like 2 or 3 and maybe an intake even though most people say to avoid an intake. Well, let me know your thoughts and suggestions that you guys noticed the biggest differences in,

in your case, safe/reliable power isn't going to come cheap. buying a $30 mbc and raising the boost "2 or 3psi" isn't going to give you power, it's going to give you repair bills from subaru.

power, costs money. everything costs money. be prepared to spend money to get what you want, or i'm afraid to tell ya you won't be getting what you want in the end.

there are always good deals going around and some places you can save, but $100 isn't getting you squat.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
how about an up-pipe or intercooler hoses?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok for one I am not talking about serious power, but a noticable difference without spending thousands of dollars. And two, it is definitely possible to receive gains without spending a serious amount of money and I never said just a hundred bucks.

So, if I raise the boost like 3 psi that will give me around 20 or 30 horsepower and some intake that will give me a mere 8-10 horsepower. Yes, it is not much but that bringing me to about 255 or 267 horse. I mean it is not huge but it will help and can all be done for about 300 bux. A Cobb Stage one will bring me to about 260 horse according to their website.... http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/power-s.html#stage1

A COBB Turbo-Back Exhaust System will add about 25 horsepower according to their website(about a $grand$). Sounds like a good deal, but I was curious as to what you guys thought. Everyone go to their website, point of thread was to ask and receive an answer and I am now informing everyone what's a good deal. ThanX for those who helped, Cya....:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rancid said:
I say get the BOV, an intake and neon lights.
Another great suggestion from another who knows nothing. It was an example and nobody seemse to know enough to suggest a helpful solution to increased performance.....Rancid suggests what he has on his car...

·
Registered
92 Posts
hmmm

I'm going with the STi WING for my Rex. It's supposed to render an extra 15 horsies off the wheels.

or, uhh, maybe the UP/DP cat back and the Cobb AccessPort

·
Registered
400 Posts
caffeineOasis said:

i dont want to sound mean but 2/3 of you mods are worthless search and you will find the answer.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
There's a reason why everyone does exhaust first.

It gives you the biggest gains.

Intake, BOV, intercooler hoses, etc. won't do sh*t on a stock car

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Also...if you REALLY dont wanna do a full exhaust, you can do a VF30 or VF34 Turbo on stock fuel and intercooler, run it on wastegate boost, and throw on a uppipe and downpipe and hope for the best.

:confused1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts