Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have had to jump start my wrx 2x over the last 1.5 months. My car is out of warranty so i need to purchase a new battery. What does everyone recommend? Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
I've got a cheapo AutoZone battery. Works great. If you want a brand name drop interstate makes good batteries.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Walmart EverStart MAXX-35N has always served me well. Consumer Reports consistently rates that size favorably (at or near the top) as well.

Edit: just looked at my .xlsx service record ... the current EverStart will turn 5 years old on Tuesday. I replaced the previous 4 year old Walmart battery as preventative maintenance, just prior to a track day. Seemed like a good idea at the time ... probably not essential.

Way better options for the price.
Yep.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Their batteries were made in the USA and for years by a good manufacturer. From what I know they are made over seas now but still worth the money and better than average.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
red top weight: 40lbs
everstart weight: 60lbs

i just did a quick search and didnt check the models but maybe there's a smaller everstart with enough cold cranking amps? the red top's CCA is double the amount you need for a wrx
That's great if you want a 180 dollar battery that's dead in no time. Optima has gone to crap.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thats pretty young for a battery to be totally shot. At my dealership we have a big industrial battery charger that we use to bring batteries back from the grave and are happy to do that for customers at no charge. If your dealer is local that might be worth a shot. If not I'd just pickup whatever is cheap at wal mart or wherever. I'd bet 99% of the cheap ones are made in the same factory overseas anyway.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
I've read enough negative accounts of Optima to stay clear. In the end cheaper Walmart or wherever are easy to find and get a replacement under warranty. Can't imagine the warranty ordeal you need to go through for Optima. There are other makers of AGM batteries other than Optima.

Just looked at CR - the EverStart 35N is the #2 group 35 battery choice once more. No mention of Optima for the group 35.

From CR:

Car batteries come in two basic varieties: the more traditional maintenance-free and the more advanced absorbed glass mat.

Lead-Acid (Regular)

Batteries once required drivers to periodically top off the water in the electrolyte solution, the liquid inside that is the battery’s power source. Modern maintenance-free batteries consume far less water than traditional “flooded cell” ones. Low-maintenance batteries retain their fluid for the life of the battery, and the caps on these models aren’t meant to be removed.

A lead-acid battery will generally cost significantly less than an AGM battery. However, it will not hold a charge for as long and is less able to tolerate a deep discharge.

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM)

AGMs are built to better stand up to repeated draining and recharging cycles than standard batteries. They are becoming standard equipment in more cars because modern features such as fuel-saving stop-start systems, electronic safety and convenience features, and power outlets for mobile electronics all increase the demand for power.

But AGMs can cost 40 to 100 percent more than highly rated, conventional batteries. Consider one if you sometimes don't use your vehicle for long periods and the battery loses its charge. An AGM battery can better tolerate a deep discharge, and it is more likely to fully recover if it is accidentally drained.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
I've read enough negative accounts of Optima to stay clear. In the end cheaper Walmart or wherever are easy to find and get a replacement under warranty. Can't imagine the warranty ordeal you need to go through for Optima. There are other makers of AGM batteries other than Optima.

Just looked at CR - the 35N is the #2 group 35 battery choice once more. No mention of Optima for the group 35.

From CR:

Car batteries come in two basic varieties: the more traditional maintenance-free and the more advanced absorbed glass mat.

Lead-Acid (Regular)

Batteries once required drivers to periodically top off the water in the electrolyte solution, the liquid inside that is the battery’s power source. Modern maintenance-free batteries consume far less water than traditional “flooded cell” ones. Low-maintenance batteries retain their fluid for the life of the battery, and the caps on these models aren’t meant to be removed.

A lead-acid battery will generally cost significantly less than an AGM battery. However, it will not hold a charge for as long and is less able to tolerate a deep discharge.

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM)

AGMs are built to better stand up to repeated draining and recharging cycles than standard batteries. They are becoming standard equipment in more cars because modern features such as fuel-saving stop-start systems, electronic safety and convenience features, and power outlets for mobile electronics all increase the demand for power.

But AGMs can cost 40 to 100 percent more than highly rated, conventional batteries. Consider one if you sometimes don't use your vehicle for long periods and the battery loses its charge. An AGM battery can better tolerate a deep discharge, and it is more likely to fully recover if it is accidentally drained.
It's also worth noting some am batteries are not interchangeable with lead acid batteries. They require special charging systems.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
The DieHard something (unsure of exact model) ... was #1 by 2 points.

Edit:

#1: DieHard Gold 50835 (North) 88 points, #2 the Walmart EverStart 35N 86 points.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts