Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to see what everyone's opinions were as to what's the best car for autocross style driving. I'm trying to plan ahead what will be my next ride once I finish college and get a real job. :D The wrx is up there on my list along with the 240sx, awd dsms, rx-7, and supra. What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Like you said, RX7, 240SX(or converted Silvia) would be good choices...also to consider for autoX, MX5 Miata(sounds dinky to some, but in autoX is logical). Supra TT would probably be a bad choice, it's kind of heavy, add some throttle to help you steer and it probably get a little to hairy in autoX(assuming you have mad power in the TT).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you guys think about the gsr and/or type-r? It seems like they're played out but they both seem like logical choices for autox.

What do you guys favor in terms of the best bang for the buck? What about the fun factor? :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
type-r does a lot better due to the LSD and higher rev-limit

but more $$ at the same time
personally I wouldn't auto-x a miata or integra or any 2WD car for that matter without an LSD, I like them THAT much

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm not talking completely stock here. An lsd uprade would be mandatory for the gsr. I'm not a huge fan of fwd cars though. What about the audi a4? The s4 is nice but, too expensive and heavy. Anyone know how much the a4 weights?

So far the wrx is at the top of my list. The only problem is that I wouldn't have the option of going with a cheaper used vehicle at this point.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A4 is still too heavy
try a Type-R, you'd be surprised how well they handle with the LSD, and the high redline is really nice and I would think you could pick up a decent one for less than $20k (I don't really know the market for them though)
you could run G-stock too with just some R-compounds

as with everything it all boils down to how much cash you want to spend

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a great little car but I just don't know if I'd like the idea of a front wheel drive car for regular use. They just aren't fun hehe. I think I remember reading an article somewhere that put a 2000 mustang gt and and a 98 or so type r head to head on two different autocross courses and the stang beat it on both. Both cars were completely stock if I remember correctly.

Screw autocross, I think that the wrx would just be a very fun car to own. Now if only I could win the lottery.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Best bang for your buck - used 2.5 RS in STS (Street Touring) class. AWD, torquey motor, has dominated this class for a couple of years. This class allows alot of the common mods w/o having to spend big bucks to be competetive. Street tires- no wider than 225 any size 16,17,18 rim has to be 7.5" or under. Can run headers, exhaust (must retain cat), intake, chip (fuel/timing), brake pads, ss lines, sway bars front and back, spring/strut or coilovers.

This would give someone a well balanced car for not a lot of money w/ the ability to be very competetive in autox.

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
It would fair ok on the street/straights. If you want something for street/straights/track/autox/rallyx then without a doubt the wrx will give you the most bang for your buck. It has to be one of the most versatile cars ever built.

A WRX setup to be competetive in STX (very similar to STS) would also prove worthy for the street/straights/track. Ofcourse your costs have gone up w/ the WRX vs the RS.

It all depends on your priorities and ofcourse your budget;) .

Big Sky

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You also have the comforts of a sedan with the wrx. I guess I could also look into an rs and turbo it later. :D Does anyone out there make a kit specifically for the rs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about the s2000? I know that the engine is pushing it's limits as far as n/a power but with a supercharger it would be an amazingly good auto-x car and pretty quick on the streets. Exactly how limited is the s2000?

·
Registered
45 Posts
An s2000 stock is a very potent autox car. Stock vs. Stock it will handily beat a WRX, with a compotent driver. It'll also beat it in the straight line. But you're going to pay at least $10k more for one. It's basically made to go fast on a twisty track, which is pretty much what an autox course is. Also, like other rwd cars, unless you have experience driving one it will be harder to drive fast right away than say a WRX. A miata is a good autox car also. Integra type-r's are great autox cars. As are the Impreza 2.5RS.

S2000 with a supercharger would be kind of scary, you'd have to be a pretty good driver to harness all that power on an autox course. :)

·
1,379 Posts
IMO, the 99+ Miata is the best beginning autox car. Light, quick, neutral handling all allow you to focus on getting the line right without wrestling your car. I can't count how many people I've suprised in my Miata at autox's. Not long ago I ended up gridded next to a rich prick with an NSX, and he sneered at my miata, "that's a cute little ride you got there, son." I complemented him on his car, and he said "work hard, and you might can have something like this someday, and get times like I'm about to get". :rolleyes: So naturally, when we got back to grid after the first run and compared times, mine was FOUR SECONDS faster. :D He narrowed the gap some, but was still two secs behind after the last run. He wouldn't even look at me after that.

Trust me, the Miata is a giant slayer, and a nearly ideal first autox car. See www.miata.net and it's forums for more info.

Have fun!

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
An s2000 stock is a very potent autox car. Stock vs. Stock it will handily beat a WRX,
how do you justify that when it isn't AWD? i totally disagree there. the wrx stock to stock would be a far better choice. with mods, i still would lean to the heavier rex, but less.

how about an audi TT quattro?

dR

·
Registered
7 Posts

dark_rex said:

how do you justify that when it isn't AWD? i totally disagree there. the wrx stock to stock would be a far better choice. with mods, i still would lean to the heavier rex, but less.

how about an audi TT quattro?

dR
awd or not the s2k has amazing grip to the road. ever been in one? i love the rex, but man that s2k is killer.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If I am not misticken, WRX is in D stock against cars like Type-R,
Celica GTS, Mustang except cobra, all bimmers except M3s.

So the WRX in the hand of an expert is a potent car according to
SCCA :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.