ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says . Obviously alarm is the best but what is the best device to stop someone from stealing the car ?:confused:

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
The easiest is probably to wire a hidden momentary push button into the clutch wire. That way you have to press the button, while holding the clutch down and turning the key. Costs about $1 to wire in, and the way I see it, the average thief isn't going to hang around for more than about 30 seconds when they can't figure out why your car won't start.

Or, if you're really paranoid about it getting stolen, I suppose you could flash a map to the ECU that wouldn't allow the car to start. I don't care how crafty a thief is, if the ECU doesn't dump any fuel they aren't going to be driving the car away.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
i dont know about car theft where you are, but here in orlando it's almost an every day thing. if they want your car, they will take your car. it doesnt matter what antitheft device, what kill switch, etc.

my friend had everything under the sun on his car and it still go stolen because the theifs used a tow truck to tow it out of the mall parking lot.

·
Registered
966 Posts
i dont know about car theft where you are, but here in orlando it's almost an every day thing. if they want your car, they will take your car. it doesnt matter what antitheft device, what kill switch, etc.

my friend had everything under the sun on his car and it still go stolen because the theifs used a tow truck to tow it out of the mall parking lot.
Yup, They will flatbed it if they really want it. Best bet is to put a tracking device somewhere in the car.

Pretty much, a car can get taken no matter what. They've got a solution to ever device.

Atleast its just a car, and not your... family or house.....

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
A pair of Hellas with your factory alarm system.
This.

In reality, as stated, determined thieves can get anything they want. Your best bet is to slow them down and draw as much attention to the car as possible. I accidentally tripped my factory alarm once after I installed the Hellas, and neighbors up and down the street looked out their doors. That's exactly what I want to happen in case of an attempted car theft.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
An old buddy of mine put a 118db alarm horn INSIDE the car too. Granted.. it really sucks if you trip that alarm by accident.. but secondly and probably more important.. you'd go absolutely deaf attempting to start it or move it. That coupled with the two external horns and this thing sounded like a fire truck when it was tripped.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
An old buddy of mine put a 118db alarm horn INSIDE the car too.
Holy . Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth ., I'd **** myself if those went off inside. When I was wiring the supertones, I accidently shorted them them right next to my ear and I thought I'd been tased. I was completely dazed for a good 30 seconds before I realized what happened.

EDIT: BAHAHAHAHA, the new swear filter is awesome.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The easiest is probably to wire a hidden momentary push button into the clutch wire. That way you have to press the button, while holding the clutch down and turning the key. Costs about $1 to wire in, and the way I see it, the average thief isn't going to hang around for more than about 30 seconds when they can't figure out why your car won't start.
Can you elaborate on how this is done??

An old buddy of mine put a 118db alarm horn INSIDE the car too. Granted.. it really sucks if you trip that alarm by accident.. but secondly and probably more important.. you'd go absolutely deaf attempting to start it or move it. That coupled with the two external horns and this thing sounded like a fire truck when it was tripped.
That is seriously awesome. I'd love to see a video of a thief trying to steal a car and going deaf, grabbing their ears in the process.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you elaborate on how this is done??

That is seriously awesome. I'd love to see a video of a thief trying to steal a car and going deaf, grabbing their ears in the process.
I ended getting a Lo-Jack. Will probably get kill switch soon too.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I ended getting a Lo-Jack. Will probably get kill switch soon too.
Correct me if I am wrong,but isn't the Lojack a theft recovery device & not a anti- theft device? How much does it cost?

I mean if ,God forbid, your car gets stolen & eventually recovered will it not show up as a stolen & recovered vehicle on the carfax report?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You're correct rage it is a recovery and not anti-theft device.

Personally if somebody were to steal my car I wouldn't want it back. People tend to thrash cars they steal, and insurance doesn't pay for any of that.

I'm glad I live where I can leave my keys in my car and my house unlocked and don't have to worry about theft! It also helps that I work from home so I'm always around and I own guns...... :)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Correct me if I am wrong,but isn't the Lojack a theft recovery device & not a anti- theft device? How much does it cost?

I mean if ,God forbid, your car gets stolen & eventually recovered will it not show up as a stolen & recovered vehicle on the carfax report?
you are correct, but if your car does get stolen it has a 93% get your car back. It is relevant to an anti theft device that is why I posted it in here :D. The device cost $899 but I think protection comes first over mods because if my car gets stolen they probably wont pay me back for mods, right?:confused:

What do you mean by thrash? Soon as the car is started without the fob the police are notified and they will probably be caught in the next hour. I understand they could strip the car fast but most likely they will think they will have more time. I dont know I like this idea = )

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
you are correct, but if your car does get stolen it has a 93% get your car back. It is relevant to an anti theft device that is why I posted it in here :D. The device cost $899 but I think protection comes first over mods because if my car gets stolen they probably wont pay me back for mods, right?:confused:

What do you mean by thrash? Soon as the car is started without the fob the police are notified and they will probably be caught in the next hour. I understand they could strip the car fast but most likely they will think they will have more time. I dont know I like this idea = )
I think he meant more along the lines that they could drive it with impunity since they've got nothing to lose. Best car for launches and burnouts? The one that's not yours...
Insurance isn't going to cover that center diff that blows up in 5,000 miles when the crooks did E-brake turns and donuts behind the Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd say the best anti-theft would be to own an 08' Wrx. Who would steal that car?
lol, i always say if you have issues with theft, especially as serious as what the OP is talking about, get a crappy car, SAVE your money and buy a house in a nice area. then get the car you want.

or, get a rottweiler and leave it in your car with the window cracked. it is amazing what big, scary dogs will do that nothing else will. only downside is cleaning up some hair and slobber.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Stolen cars usually do get recovered, but recovered missing a whole lot of **** (wheels, stereo, mods, seats, dash, etc). Ask me how I know :sadwave:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts