ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am finally getting to the point where I really need to replace my stock Bridgestone Potenza tires. I have been trying to price some Yoko's and some Michelins. I just don't know what to go w/ though. I still have the stock 16" '02 wheels. I need something that is all weather so i can go up to the pass w/out getting stuck when I go snowboarding. Since the Seattle rainy season is coming i also would like something that handles well on wet surface and doesn't hydroplane as easily (I-5 sucks for that).

Does anyone have any recommendations on tires w/ out moving up to 17-18" wheels? I have about a $600 budget.

---side story----

I was headed up to Steven's Pass, WA last winter and was worried about traction in the deep snow (it was coming down) so I stopped @ Les Schwabb and picked up some recomended chains. I was an inexperienced Subie driver plus the fact I am an Eagle Scout (Be Prepared). So we got into some pretty mucky stuff, SUV's were pulling off w/ 4x4 engaged to put their chains on. I just kept trucking w/ out chains made it to the top of the mountain in EXTREME weather conditions. On the way back from the hill I took the chains back in and got a full refund. I don't think I will ever need those. AWD rocks in the snow- my tires even sucked then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect reference man. TireRack is sweet because it has review w/ people who have Rex's and drive them like us. I am now a step or two closer- can't wait to hone in on a good tire and take them around some bends on the first spin.

thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
pirelli

I'm goin with the Pirelli Nero m+s tires. They have awesome reviews and are ranked near the top on every aspect at tirerack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After consulting w/ the Tirerack.com and reading the reviews of countless WRX drivers, I have arrived at two excellent choices of tires. First is the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (excellent recommendation by the way) @ $101/tire. The second is the Yokohama AVS dB S2 @ $100/tire. At a differnce of $4 for a full set I would say that they are evenly matched... However if any of you out there would recommend one over the other I would love to hear from you. One last note Tirerack rules! I will definately go there when it is time to purchase.

Thanks and have fun WRXing it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Get the Sumitomo HTR +

I bought the Sumitomo HTR + Ultra High Performance All-Season from www.tirerack.com

they are awesome for the price of $59 per tire.
Size:205/55-16
VR Speed Rated

check the Tire Rack out.....I think they give the best deals for tires online.

Maz

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was in the same situation about a month ago, and went with the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S on stock wheels.
All I got to say is WOW, what a difference compared to the RE 092's!!I read all the reviews from Tire Rack, and for the most part, they were right about the tire, and I love them!! I have heard good things about the Yokohama's, but I went with the P Zero Nero's, and I dont think you would be dissapointed with them.
Definately one of the best handling mods to do to your car!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The PZero Nero's have had rave reviews- more good points listed overall. I think that is what i have decided- just gotta convince my wife that we need tires more than she needs dental work. Was that harsh? Gotta be safe on the road!:p

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
how do those pirelli's handle on dry pavement? i'm comming off a set of potenza re730's that grip pretty good on dry, so i'm wonderin how well these pirelli's are in the corners

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TireRack.com all the way man. Just find the size you need then click on whatever brands you would like to look @. Then you can read reviews of dozens of folks w/ ratings and all. Probably the best website for tires period.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts