Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANGRY

The dealership tells me I might have a bent strut, but I'm fed up with them (inferior workmanship)... Rather than having them replace the strut ($600), I think I should just buy an upgraded suspension kit and install it myself. After I'm done, I can take it to a *real* mechanic to have it aligned.

What do you guys think? Is this novice biting off more than he can chew?

One thing I'm concerned about is warranty: will I be voiding warranty on any non-suspension parts (e.g. drivetrain)?

Muchas Gracias!

·
Registered
329 Posts
It shouldn't affect your warranty on anything else and replacing struts and springs on a Subaru is pretty damn easy so I don't think you'll be biting off more than you can chew.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be my first actual upgrade. What tools should I get?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
If you're new to "wrenching" I would see if you can find someone to help you. It's easy but not oil-change easy!

For $600 you can get a full set of Koni inserts.

Chris

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just to let you know its only 100 bucks for a new strut from subaruparts.com, that dealership is crazy for charging 600 bucks, 500 dollars for labor is messed up. But then again my dealership wanted 1200 dollars to install the SPT suspension, thats as much as the suspension itself, even more messed up. But yeah, no matter what you do if you haven't done the suspension before you should probably find someone who has, thats what I did :) I have seen some used (like 50 miles) STI RA suspensions going for around 850 bucks too, check the other wrx club sites.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Typical price for Self-Lock Nut...

BTW, I noticed SubaruParts.com also sells replacement bolts/nuts. Is $5.31 too much to pay for a self-locking nut? I'm thinking I should probably buy a few to have them on hand in my parts box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts