Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain the benefits of an oil cooler? other than "cooling the oil"? Hehe. Looking at how expensive they are (STi, Blitz, etc), I thought about making one myself. Just eyeballing, I'm thinking that it'll only cost me about $300 to make one x2 as big as the STi oil cooler. Oh, and if anyone knows exactly what parts I need. I just got some race-only catalog and it's got some cheap ass stuff! Thanks in advance!

B

·
Registered
2 Posts
whattup b,
i was thinking the same thing with my integra last. they're hella expensive, but i remember that earl's made a few different sized oil coolers for very reasonable prices, and they look nice too.. hehe especially with the earls fittings. let me know how your project turns out. laters.
ash

·
Registered
208 Posts
206WRX_GDA said:
Can someone explain the benefits of an oil cooler? other than "cooling the oil"? Hehe. Looking at how expensive they are (STi, Blitz, etc), I thought about making one myself. Just eyeballing, I'm thinking that it'll only cost me about $300 to make one x2 as big as the STi oil cooler. Oh, and if anyone knows exactly what parts I need. I just got some race-only catalog and it's got some cheap ass stuff! Thanks in advance!

B
Think of how hot our turbos run, and recall that oil is fed into the turbo to lubricate and partially to cool it. Enough said. You'll benefit from it the most if you track your car often.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any reseller who has the gall to charge $1600 for a $69 dollar cooler core + some cheap hoses needs to take it in the ass with a coarse aggragate concrete dildo. Reality, HELLO? Let's see, the extra $1400.00 is for the anodized pink and red, right? The price is WRONG, Bob. I'll take another generic oil cooler for $60-100, please.
:p

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tossed a Derale Oil Cooler on my Cougar and it is a pretty universal part. It even came with different adapters for different sized nipples coming off the block where your oil filter goes on. Mine was an easy install and I have to say I did notice the temp difference. The car seemed easier to cool down. I paid 72.00 for mine from Summit Racing. Just make sure to find a good place to tap into for oil pressure and run a guage to make sure you are getting proper pressure and you should be fine. I would definetly put a cooler on a turbo'd motor.:p

Comes with adapter, lots of hoses and the cooler itself it pretty large.

Laters

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
hey guys subaru impreza wrx how to install oil cooler can you help me
You'd probably be better off starting your own thread. Good on you for searching though!! Wish I could help

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,766 Posts
The WRX already has a cooler. Look closely at the part between the block and the oil filter. It's not just a housing, it's a cooler, albeit small. Should you decide to add an additional cooler, there are kits that will allow you to run lines from that point (see above oil filter) to the cooler. Keep in mind though that for a road car the supplied cooler is usually OK and what is not there cannot fail. For a track car people have seen oil temps elevated and an additional cooler plus a thermostat in the supply line make sense. I'd not bother with my road car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
help me

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Yes...open oil fill cap and pour really cold water in it.....that usually does the trick......

·
Registered
226 Posts
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you can't figure out how to search the internet, or figure out how to install a cooler... I am going to venture to say you probably shouldn't be working on your own car.

But here you go:
Process West Oil Cooler Review - NASIOC

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,766 Posts
If you insist on fitting a part that (a) adds complexity and multiple potential failure points (b) is challenging to fit in a way that allows adequate air flow while protecting all the plumbing and (c) most cars have no use for whatsoever you might at least try to make it as cheap as possible. At your local wrecking yard, have a look at the steering cooler from large Ford trucks. They're plate-type, sturdy units and they'll set you back a massive $15 or so. Another $30 or so for fitting whatever ends you want at your local hose/tube/AC place, and voila. Or just forget about the whole thing. I don't know if anyone's guessed yet what I'd advocate... I've had a cooler before, a factory-standard one in the lower front of my turbo Mitsu. Never again unless I absolutely have to. Almost nobody does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.