Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on doing a clutch replacement on my 2008 wrx hatch, and to my knowledge I've removed everything I need to remove to get the transmission out. That being removal of the exhahst, driveshaft and front axles, as well as starter and all bolts connecting the bellhousing to the back of the engine block. I've been trying to wiggle it off for two days now, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
Make sure you've got all the bolts. I remember another post about someone having a hidden one or two they missed up towards the top. If you are still having trouble a good orange deadblow or rubber mallet and bang around the mating area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been working on doing a clutch replacement on my 2008 wrx hatch, and to my knowledge I've removed everything I need to remove to get the transmission out. That being removal of the exhahst, driveshaft and front axles, as well as starter and all bolts connecting the bellhousing to the back of the engine block. I've been trying to wiggle it off for two days now, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I had the same problem get a flathead and slowly and carefully tape it open after you crack it get some non mating prying tools and done

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just went through the same thing, I had to take a large flat screwdriver put it between the block and the bell housing and with a large hammer hit it really hard multiple times. It will eventually loosen up to where you can pry it apart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to end up using a meat cleaver and a hammer to get it started. I know it sounds dumb but that was the only way I could get it to separate. The meat cleaver was sharp and long enough. It slowly split the transmission and engine. Then I used a cold chisel and pry bars after that. I also hit the 2 dowel pins with some PB Blaster just in case they stuck too. I cleaned up the dowel pins after the transmission was off. That was just to make sure that it slide in fine when putting everything back together. Good luck! Let me know how it works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts