ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well after this year i graduate and ill have some college credits from taking and getting a welding certificite. i think i am gunna try and go to UTI i Lisle IL.. to be a mechanic. how much do they make around im not the best in regular school like higschool. like im a senior and i just got done with algebra, like my GPA is 2.0 ish i lack in the math section. so i dont no but i dont no anyhting to take in a big college. and id like to do something with cars. just lookin for ur guys comments.. as im not sure what to do with my future. im just trying to get some ideas.. and sort through some stuff.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Welding is extremely good money. I went to a vocational high school for automotive technology. I learned a lot about cars, but most of it was just general automotive stuff, and it didn't go very in depth. If you're looking for a good auto tech school, I recommend you look into a school that specializes in automotive (like Wyotech). It won't be easy, but at least you'll leave there with a lot of knowledge and the confidence that you have what it takes to get hired.

At my school, the most important thing that I learned was that working on cars is NOT what I want to do for a living. I think you should really look around and maybe talk to some people who do the things that you're considering to try and figure out what really appeals to you. When it comes to what you will be doing for the rest of your life, don't make any compromises, but also keep in mind that you aren't stuck doing one thing.

Er...yeah. That's all I really have to say.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
My opinion is extremely biased because I've been in this businees for a long time. I hate it. I love cars, but I hate the public. I wish I stayed in school:(

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think its kinda a trade off. What each of the mechanics below has stated reflects what I've heard from other mechanics. My 2 cents worth - you'll probably enjoy doing it for a while. You obviously enjoy working on things that are mechanical. As you get older your body is gonna enjoy it a lot less. If you go the mechanic route get all the training you can and focus on becoming like a shop supervisor or if you're fortunate owner. Some day your body - and you're increasingly bored mind - will thank you.

para

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
paragonwrx said:
I think its kinda a trade off. What each of the mechanics below has stated reflects what I've heard from other mechanics. My 2 cents worth - you'll probably enjoy doing it for a while. You obviously enjoy working on things that are mechanical. As you get older your body is gonna enjoy it a lot less. If you go the mechanic route get all the training you can and focus on becoming like a shop supervisor or if you're fortunate owner. Some day your body - and you're increasingly bored mind - will thank you.

para
Quite the contrary, after time you will enjoy being the worker more than the owner or supervisor, trust me;)

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
WRXTwiztid said:
well after this year i graduate and ill have some college credits from taking and getting a welding certificite. i think i am gunna try and go to UTI i Lisle IL.. to be a mechanic. how much do they make around im not the best in regular school like higschool. like im a senior and i just got done with algebra, like my GPA is 2.0 ish i lack in the math section. so i dont no but i dont no anyhting to take in a big college. and id like to do something with cars. just lookin for ur guys comments.. as im not sure what to do with my future. im just trying to get some ideas.. and sort through some stuff.
welding is a good career to get into, but many people complain about such jobs after doing it for 10-15 years... same goes with a mechanic.

if this is to personal just disregaurd it but.....

are you just plain out not good with your studies, or just kinda lazy with it all? i am asking because many people think that they shouldnt go to college because they cant keep up with the studying and such... but in reality they are just lazy and dont want to put forth the effort.

i am not saying you are like that, but asking if you really do have trouble in school, or if you feel you could do much better by putting forth more effort.
I used to do real bad in school, like middle school and freshman year of highschool... it wasnt that i wasnt good at school, i just didnt care, and was lazy.
sophmore year i actually started caring and putting use to the intelligence i had. I finished out highschool with a good GPA and got A's and B's through out. now i am getting ready for professional school and such.

but yeah. UTI is a good school, and getting a technical degree will help you out a lot... but college is a good thing also... and you should stronly consider if you are just not made to do it, or if you dont "feel"/care about going.

btw: my cousins BF just graduated from UTI with a mechanics technition degree thing... it was expensive, but he said he liked and he learned a lot....
but many people that do trade school, look back and wish they had gone to college, so they could have more oppertunity.

good luck in either aspect though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
i agree with dtr fully. You may not see the light at the end of the tunnel, and as a highschool senior you wont. Getting out of HS and being on your own will mature you faster then you would like most likely. I have a feeling that you may be thinking "oh well i like cars, and my grades suck, I would really love to be a lawyer, but ill just be a mechanic cause my grades wont let me become a lawyer." Maybe I am totally off target, but thats how i was. I come from somewhat the same boat as you. Got Cs in highschool, graduated with around a 79 gpa, because at that stage in the game i just didnt care. Once SAT time came around i was starting to panic cause everyone was talking penn state, or ohio state, or some big 10 school, and i was thinking "how the hell am I getting into college." I did well on the SAT, and I think that and my writing skills got me into a regular 4 year school. I was having a great time, had a lot of friends, hooked up with a bunch of girls, didnt really care about school. Once I got into college, and let go of my home life, and friends from hs..which was hard...I was getting the best grades of my life, and became interested in all sorts of things. Im now a biology major, and pre med. I would definately reccomend taking some classes in a community college and broadening your horizons. Maybe welding is your thing, and being mechanical is something youd love to do. Thats fine! Everyone has their niche. I would definately look around some before settling on welding for the rest of your life. Just my opinion!

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
aaronwillen said:
i agree with dtr fully. You may not see the light at the end of the tunnel, and as a highschool senior you wont. Getting out of HS and being on your own will mature you faster then you would like most likely. I have a feeling that you may be thinking "oh well i like cars, and my grades suck, I would really love to be a lawyer, but ill just be a mechanic cause my grades wont let me become a lawyer." Maybe I am totally off target, but thats how i was. I come from somewhat the same boat as you. Got Cs in highschool, graduated with around a 79 gpa, because at that stage in the game i just didnt care. Once SAT time came around i was starting to panic cause everyone was talking penn state, or ohio state, or some big 10 school, and i was thinking "how the hell am I getting into college." I did well on the SAT, and I think that and my writing skills got me into a regular 4 year school. I was having a great time, had a lot of friends, hooked up with a bunch of girls, didnt really care about school. Once I got into college, and let go of my home life, and friends from hs..which was hard...I was getting the best grades of my life, and became interested in all sorts of things. Im now a biology major, and pre med. I would definately reccomend taking some classes in a community college and broadening your horizons. Maybe welding is your thing, and being mechanical is something youd love to do. Thats fine! Everyone has their niche. I would definately look around some before settling on welding for the rest of your life. Just my opinion!
^^^Very good advice

·
Registered
907 Posts
I was pretty bad in HS...i was going to be a mechanic too....well once i got into college and started taking classed...it all Changed! College is Way Different from HS!!!!

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
aaronwillen said:
i had the same exact thing. got C's and D's in middle school and freshman year.... turned my crap around and decided to use my intellect... became interested in philosophy, history, biology, etc...
now i am doing very with school, love to learn new things and going into the medical field much like aaronwillen.

I am sure college would be a lot different for you than highschool. there are a lot of people that dislike highschool and dont do well, and then when they enter college and put forth effort, they realize there is a whole different world they want to explore.

I spoke with you about this a little last time on AIM... but maybe you should go to Elgin Community College for a semester and see how you like it. IMO its definatly worth a shot.. its all upto you and how you feel... but dont be so quick to dismiss college... its not as much about the degree you earn, but about the experience and life lessons... (which both seem to be pretty prevalent in college)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
317 Posts
college was the best thing that ever happened to me. Id suggest doing what ever you can to go to a 4- year college. Theres enough time in the day at college to get all of your work done well and party all the time, im an engineering major at a tough school and i have a 3.0 gpa and manage to smoke/drink/party almost every day! Its the best thing that you will do in your life...and I got 3 more years cause im getting my mba in 5 years total. Go to college, don't be anti-social, and u will love your life

·
Registered
982 Posts
I work as a team service manager for a dealership.

Techs that have been in the buisness for a while make good $$$

example: my Top tech makes about $24.00-$26.00 per hour, plus techs get paid on flat rate hours.

Example a starter pays 2.5 hours, if the tech does it in 1 hour or 4 hours he still gets the 2.5 x $24.00=$60.00.

Newer techs might take 3 hours to replace starter and get frustrated.

My advice: find an area and excell at it. If you can diagnose electrical problems you'll be rich!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Family Guy said:
If you can diagnose electrical problems you'll be rich!
Diagnosis doesn't pay crap. Dealer techs get paid to change parts.

And where is this that a starter motor pays 2.5 hours? :eek: We usually get .6 up to 1.0 max.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Family Guy said:
example: my Top tech makes about $24.00-$26.00 per hour, plus techs get paid on flat rate hours.

Example a starter pays 2.5 hours, if the tech does it in 1 hour or 4 hours he still gets the 2.5 x $24.00=$60.00.

thats your top tech... meaning that he is the top guy, and most likely makes the most of all the techs...

$25 an hour isnt very much money. that comes out to just about $50,000 - $55,000 BEFORE taxes i believe... although its decent starting pay.... thats not all that great to support a family on, especially when you are a top mechanic at the top of your game

just my .02

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ i agree. i was thinking i dont really want to fix other peoples cars.. i love them and working on them but fixing their cars isnt going to be that great. and making 50g a year being the top guy isnt that much if i ever get a family. im not going to be a welder, im just getting certified from ECC because i get credits in highschool for taking that college class. i dunno what i want to do :( i love cars and auto stuff. but dont really want to fix OTHER peoples stuff. maybe their is a different job in the autoworld i wouldbeable to do?

·
Registered
982 Posts
chevyeater said:
Diagnosis doesn't pay crap. Dealer techs get paid to change parts.

And where is this that a starter motor pays 2.5 hours? :eek: We usually get .6 up to 1.0 max.
A 96-98 3.2TL pays 2.5 hrs to replace starter.

Electrical CAN pay well if you document what you've done.
For example, if you have to test for continuity (sp?) and the wire you have to test is behind the dash, and the dash has to come out to test you get paid for removing a dash too.

One of my tech just found a pin that came loose on a connector that would not power up the radio/nav unit, we had to remove the centerconsole and both front seats in order to remove the dash to find the wire where the pin connector came out. Paid 25.0 hours straight time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts