ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the maker of The turbo Table , made from left over junk and some new hardware, I give you the Coilover table!

Table.jpg

So I had so much fun building the turbo table, and it has been such a conversation piece with guests, that I immediately started looking in my stash of useful junk for what I could make next. The Man room is coming along pretty well, but needed more beer setting apparatuses. So I had a pair of coilovers that fit nothing in the world, an old back yard umbrella with a rotten top, and a brass decorative letter "O" that a coworker had bought me at a garage sale as a joke....psssht showed him.

The junk:

IMG_7865a.jpg IMG_7868d.jpg IMG_7918q.jpg

The hair brained Idea:

IMG_7867c.jpg

The prettier looking hair brained idea:

IMG_7892f.jpg

So I disassembled the umbrella:

IMG_7903j.jpg

Cut, sanded and glued together:

IMG_7912l.jpg

Made a template and cut it out:

IMG_7917p.jpg

So these coilovers are a funny story. Back around 10 years ago when I was finishing up college, the SAE MINI BAJA team had all graduated and left their junk behind. The Formula SAE guys had to share the same space, so they gratuitously started chucking everything into the dumpster. Cue a well timed encounter with a friend with a truck, and I ended up with the complete running mini baja car for free on the family ranch. It had fully independent suspension, a lot of tubing, an 8HP Briggs, and horrible college student welds, but whatever it was free.

So we took turns mobbing it around and jumping it off of things, when one buddy with no prior ATV experience, decided he was going to prove his manliness and earn his man card by jumping a levee. Now mind you this levee was 30 feet across at the base, 15 feet across at the top and was all of 15 feet high. He asked "How should I do this?" and like good friends we replied "Pin the throttle and hold it." Well friends the rest is history. The Great Flying Becker earned his man card that day, cleared the levee by 10 feet, flat bottomed and bent the frame, blew out all 4 shocks, bruised his tail bone, and medicated with beer....happy.

In a futile effort to repair the baja, I had an old set of Bilstein front shocks laying around from the front of a 4x4 93 Z71 Chevy, and a buddy who was the head engineer at Ground Control Suspension. These coilovers are what resulted. SO when we scrapped the baja, I saved them for whatever reason and they have been sitting on a shelf ever since.

IMG_7931s.jpg

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
In any event, I cut the O, milled it and drilled the ends:

IMG_7990al.jpg

Obviously I had to have something for the top of the shocks to bolt to, So I used more of that umbrella and made some upper mounts and attached them to the top.

IMG_7944x.jpg

Shocks attached:

IMG_7951ae.jpg

And assembled as it sits today:

IMG_7994am.jpg IMG_7995an.jpg IMG_7998aq.jpg

I still have to stain the top and put a bunch of coats of polyurethane on it. The brass pieces I am going to Jewel finish or Engine Turn, or whatever you want to call it. I may try brass black or stain to darken up the brass legs before I clear coat them. I also am thinking about replacing the worn out old shock bushings on the bottom with some solid aluminum pucks. I also have some decorative aluminum tubing to hide the all thread.

So yeah, garage therapy.

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Genius! It's actually pretty stylish too. I easily put that in my man cave (if my house had one :( )
My Man cave is supposed to be the "Formal Dinning room". I'm not formal, neither is my wife, so it had been the catch all junk/guitar room. Now we hang out there all the time.

·
slow no mo' !
795 Posts
From the maker of The turbo Table , made from left over junk and some new hardware, I give you the Coilover table!

That's frickin' awesome!
However, I won't be taking any more advice from you about how eeeasy it would be to work on my car myself :p
You, Sir, forgot what it is to be a newbie a loooong, long time ago. (If ever you were one.)

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I vote Trunk Sofa!
I actually priced out doing a love seat out of the front end of a 993 Porsche. But I stopped tallying the cost at $1200, and scrapped the idea.

Awesome table! Maybe some racing seat recliners, or piston lamps would look good in the man cave!
I have toyed with the idea of make either a bench seat couch out of a bench seat from a van, or buying two sets of black racing seats off ebay for $500 shipped with slider brackets, and making a four person racing seat couch with individual arm rests, independent forward/back slides, reclining, and built in cup holders. My wife is all for it, since she hates the look of the temporary free couch that is sitting against the wall.

I already have a Marshmallow Sofa I bought to go opposite the Turbo table in there.

marsh.jpg

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's frickin' awesome!
lol thanks!

However, I won't be taking any more advice from you about how eeeasy it would be to work on my car myself :p
You, Sir, forgot what it is to be a newbie a loooong, long time ago. (If ever you weree. on)
I always encourage people to dive in and don't be scared. That's what it takes to hone your skills with your hands. We live in an amazing time in which almost anything you will want to do is well documented on the intarwebz. If you have time and an internet connection, its hard to get stumped. And if you can't find the answer you are looking for, most of the time you can find a forum to ask on.

I have expanded my capabilities immensely because of this, and as such I feel obligated to contribute with any DIY, Youtube vid, or whatever to give back.

Heck I wouldn't have learned to play the guitar if it wasn't for youtube and ultimate guitar tabs.

Don't be scared.

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Why are you not a small business, yet? :)

Very nicely done, Jeremy. A lot of labor, but it would be interesting to see what people would pay for such things. Of course, sometimes the fun goes out of it if you do it for money...

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Pretty sweet!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,336 Posts
I like this one even more than the turbo table. I like the angles at which the suspension leaves the base and attaches to the bottom of the table top. The mix of metal, springs, and wood really works well. I think you have a very good eye.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
STI Spoiler TV stand!!

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why are you not a small business, yet? :)

Very nicely done, Jeremy. A lot of labor, but it would be interesting to see what people would pay for such things. Of course, sometimes the fun goes out of it if you do it for money...
Why thank you. I have thought about hanging out a shingle and doing it as a hobby business. But the "will it be fun then" thought has crossed my mind.

Pretty sweet!
Thanks.

I like this one even more than the turbo table. I like the angles at which the suspension leaves the base and attaches to the bottom of the table top. The mix of metal, springs, and wood really works well. I think you have a very good eye.
Thank you sir. I have tried to become more artistic as I have aged.

STI Spoiler TV stand!!
I wouldn't be making a TV stand for that room, but repurposing that wing is an interesting idea. Especially if I made my own "wing stiffies". It would make an interesting wall hanging shelf for things.

Piston lamps are a cool idea.

I have also thought about repurposing a cam shaft and crank. I think I have a 2.slow VW cam somewhere.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts