ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
answer the question regarding price.

You know I am about to buy a 2008 Sti and am thoroughly disappointed there is no sunroof option. So I want this to be my first "mod" to the car. The speed is more then I will ever need, so the comestic is where I am leaning towards, plus some inside additions.

Well I am kind of partial to what Frod and Nissan are doing with the panormaic views that make up their moon roof, especially the ford edge

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/2008Edge/

so my question is how much do you think soing something like the edge's roof would cost, or maybe just a plain moon roof?

thank you

·
Registered
816 Posts
answer the question regarding price.

You know I am about to buy a 2008 Sti and am thoroughly disappointed there is no sunroof option. So I want this to be my first "mod" to the car. The speed is more then I will ever need, so the comestic is where I am leaning towards, plus some inside additions.

Well I am kind of partial to what Frod and Nissan are doing with the panormaic views that make up their moon roof, especially the ford edge

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/2008Edge/

so my question is how much do you think soing something like the edge's roof would cost, or maybe just a plain moon roof?

thank you
Your gonna lose some structural rigidity with a big roof like the edge. If you want a moonroof your best option is a simple smaller one like on the old wrx's. I believe you can get the parts/labor for around 1000 but I could be wrong. Try to find a place that adds bracing though as the stock roof beam for sunroof equipped cars ties the sunroof into the chassis.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Sorry this is a bad idea. there is structure in the roof

thats a 5-6 thousand dollar mod to get it done right

I have a panoramic roof in my Lincoln MKX (ford Edge) and its cool but not something i would want on a sports car.

that is the worst place to add weight on the whole car.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Personally I would'nt do it. Not only would you lose some structural rigidity, aftermarket sunroofs are prone to leaking.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Reasons you should not:

1. Its an insurance nightmare.
2. Potential Air bag deployment problem.
3. If you finance the car, the finance company can technically reposses the sti for damaging their property/investment.
4. Factory warranty issue.
5. leaking.
6. cost. Look for it to be several thousand

If you want a hot AWD hatch thats turbo'd similar to the sti but with a panoramic moon roof, look no further than the Audi A3 2.0T quattro.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all great answers and all great reaons not too. no question I want an sti. so i will pass on the roof. thanks for the education

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just as a note-

I hate being stuck in an enclosed car (possibly because I am a motorcycle enthusiast too?) and require at least a sunroof, so I did have one added to my 2008 WRX.

NOT a panoramic one, but a more normally sized unit. ;)

I am quite sure that it opens up some possibilities for leaks and weakness, but since I have no rally plans for my car...
It was dealer-installed, so problems are likely to be few to my thinking, but...

Panoramic is probably NOT a good idea, but a smaller unit can be done.

As for price- $1200 for electric roof, tilt or full open, with manual sliding cover.
Nice plus- when I shut the car off, it closes auto-magically.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts