ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 08' metallic grey WRX sedan. I met some punk in aa 2002 -2003 VW jetta 1.8T and decided to do a couple of pulls. He beat me by a car length each time. What a kick in the nuts...i only have a Catback exhaust but I still figured my scoobie could take him. I would like to do some engine mods so this doesnt happen again but my warrenty has my hands teid. Anyone else have any embarrassing stories?

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you did it from a stoplight and you are a fairly good driver I can't see how it took you unless it wasn't stock.

In terms of embarrassing stories, ricers always seem to park next to me when I walk into the store for a few minutes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah It definetly wasnt a stock jetta I dont think. He had some type of exhaust and most likely an intake. He threw a flame when he shifted.

·
Registered
815 Posts
probably a 1.8t lacking cats and tuned

if it was spitting flames, that is.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Ya thats not close to stock, catless FTW! As of now you can't do much being warranty whipped and all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My buddy has a 01 gli that runs pretty good i'd say from a dead dig i'd only be able to get him by 2 cars out the whole and i've got a stage 2 09

·
Registered
133 Posts
unfortunately the gap between a 1.8t jetta and 2008 wrx can be closed very quickly due to the transmission loss and the fact tha the 2008 wrx doesn't have much over 220hp....

if it was a 2009 wrx it would have or should have easily smoke it, either the 08 or 09 should take it of the line though...

·
Registered
65 Posts
well, back in the day when i had my 05 wrx(i have an 09 now :)) i raced a silver 1.8t mk4, same as yours, from a roll say around 40ish. i was stage 2 with a downpipe, perrin pulley, k&n drop in and the ap stage 2, well, this thing stayed next to me the whole time i made a thread on here back in the day. it had no muffler or anything it looked completely stock and was debadged. with a tune and maybe just a downpipe those jetta 1.8ts from a roll are very fast. no surprise there so don't be.

·
Registered
65 Posts
no aftermarket exhaust i should say, it looked COMPLETELY stock. i couldn't believe it.

well, back in the day when i had my 05 wrx(i have an 09 now :)) i raced a silver 1.8t mk4, same as yours, from a roll say around 40ish. i was stage 2 with a downpipe, perrin pulley, k&n drop in and the ap stage 2, well, this thing stayed next to me the whole time i made a thread on here back in the day. it had no muffler or anything it looked completely stock and was debadged. with a tune and maybe just a downpipe those jetta 1.8ts from a roll are very fast. no surprise there so don't be.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i hope far from stock cause i raced my buddies gli, brand newish aka 2008 with apr stage 2 93 octane mode with hpfp and downpipe etc... and it was a joke dig and roll(60+) i had JUST flashed stage 1 at his house and i go stage 2 this friday with the install of my invidia downpipe. he's a c*cky little one haha. i'm a huge VW fan btw was thinking about getting a gti, just, i'm sorry awd is worth it. plus i think the interiors are highly overrated. my sister has a jetta but she's getting her gli soon, can't wait to chip it ;)

My buddy has a 01 gli that runs pretty good i'd say from a dead dig i'd only be able to get him by 2 cars out the whole and i've got a stage 2 09

·
Registered
331 Posts
I used to own a 2004 VW GTi 1.8T with a turboback, tune, fmic, intake, and a couple of other mods and since I have owned that, I will NEVER buy a VW again. It was pretty quick but it seemed like it had problems after problems. I traded it in on my 06 STi and has been the best decision I have made. No regrets on my end.

·
Æternum
20,679 Posts
i'm a huge VW fan btw was thinking about getting a gti, just, i'm sorry awd is worth it. plus i think the interiors are highly overrated. my sister has a jetta but she's getting her gli soon, can't wait to chip it ;)
The VW TDI is a great engine... I really like the Audi A3 TDI for efficiency sake

·
Registered
65 Posts
yea the tdi IS a great engine. my sister has an 07 jetta with the 2.5L engine, GREAT interior though and honestly for it's competition i can't see any better. it's a great little torquey car that gets you around town or city with ease. just don't like how jettas AND gtis are set up it seems like there's a lot in the way. especially if i'm making my way in and out of traffic, subaru is much more open to me in terms of windows etc...i need to see where i'm going. ONE of the reasons i didn't go gti. those gti's though, and 1.8ts, and glis gave me some good races with my 2005 wrx. stage 2 i only pulled a gli by 1 car from a roll, the jetta was dead even and i raced an apr stage 2 only downpipe mk5 gti on the highway when i was vf48d and protuned and it just crushed me because of his INSTANT power. he was making 30 less whp but there's more to the table than peak power. that's why i LOVE my 09 wrx power all over the band.

The VW TDI is a great engine... I really like the Audi A3 TDI for efficiency sake

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have an embarrassing story:

Back in the day about 2-3 years ago:

Was stock except for an Hks melon shooter catback, a stock Ford Focus hung neck and neck with me from a roll :eek:

Not as embarrassing but still embarrassing nonetheless:

Was same as above in mods, but with a helix tmic, a Rsx-S with mods was on my arse the whole time and I couldn't pull away.

Now with my mods, I don't have a problem with them anymore :tongue:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts