ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guy so after gathering money and getting supporting mods all together im going for the turbo swap my question is for what ill be running and numbers wise which would be a decent beast turbo upgrade here weeee gooo

pre swap list
*660cc injectors(temp till i get stocks modded)
*hks front mount
*cobb AP
*going to have P&L pro tune it with in the month
*short ram intake
*grimmspeed 3 port
*hks v3 bov
*255 walbro
now i do not want anyone to say lose the front mount get a sti tmic because thats not what i want to run this is going to be a weekend warrior car and its in shows every other month
my numbers and whole goal im looking to get out of it is a torque machine wanting 400hp/400tq or close to it on pump gas daily driven now im looking very hard between the 18g and the 20g i see people on youtube and seen quite a few guys running a 20g with the front mount if theres, im just curious on the spool times but then again the turbo will be getting port and polished soon as i get it. not looking to spend over 1000$ so no gt45rs for me lol any other opinions you guys have please shoot them away!!!
heres my 2006 WRX TR

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
If I were you and youre truely trying to hit 400 awhp...go with a fuel rail setup so you dont need massive injectors and it would be more efficient. Other than that your numbers depend on how its tuned...the pressure youre running. Trying to hit 400 though is tough on your engine and transmission.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were you and youre truely trying to hit 400 awhp...go with a fuel rail setup so you dont need massive injectors and it would be more efficient. Other than that your numbers depend on how its tuned...the pressure youre running. Trying to hit 400 though is tough on your engine and transmission.
yea i havent got to look much into the fuel rails seen some perrin ones i was liking but dont know much about that setup and pressure wise im thinking running 19-21psi nothing more or less plus i def have to invest in the sti swap

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
So which is it a weekend warrior or daily driver? In the space of two sentences you say both. Please use some capitalization and punctuation too because I get a headache trying to read your posts!

Your numbers are going to entirely depend on your tuner and then will be influenced by the dyno he has. However, with the mods you have, 400 whp/wtq is a lofty goal, and I doubt you're going to hit that except on a very high reading dyno. You're definitely not going to hit that on only 19 psi, and have a very small chance at 21 psi.

What sort of other mods do you have on the car for suspension and brakes to handle that power? It looks like the car is lowered?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So which is it a weekend warrior or daily driver? In the space of two sentences you say both. Please use some capitalization and punctuation too because I get a headache trying to read your posts!

Your numbers are going to entirely depend on your tuner and then will be influenced by the dyno he has. However, with the mods you have, 400 whp/wtq is a lofty goal, and I doubt you're going to hit that except on a very high reading dyno. You're definitely not going to hit that on only 19 psi, and have a very small chance at 21 psi.

What sort of other mods do you have on the car for suspension and brakes to handle that power? It looks like the car is lowered?
yea that weeked warrior should of been deleted and far as capitalization and puctuation im not in school and this is just a forum so not to worried about that anywho slotted and dimpled rotors just the front and coilovers

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
You need to up your budget for a 400/400 build, especially on pump gas.

An 18G/20G won't hit your goal on pump; a 20G with meth/E85 might. You need to be looking at turbos in the 50+lbs/min range.

650cc injectors will limit you. When you get the new injectors, you'll need a retune. Just stockpile the parts until you can do it once properly.

Have money for a new motor/transmission, because the likelihood of either of them letting go is up there. Have money for a new clutch (and flywheel, since they aren't supposed to be resurfaced), because the stock one won't hold your goal for long.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Yeah... I'm going to disagree with you on the fuel rail setup. Having a large fuel rail isn't going to change the amount of fuel going through injectors, or the amount of fuel needed for combustion in the cylinders. Yes, it'll decrease the amount of pressure loss between the hard lines and injectors, as well as more reliably get fuel to all 4 injectors without pressure loss on the far injectors, but my personal opinion is, if you can do it with a walbro 255, then you don't need a fuel rail. Once you have to step up to a 400lph pump, then fuel rails are a necessity.

I have a 400whp-ish build on E85 (which has a much higher fuel demand than pump) running through 1100cc injectors... on stock fuel rails. I idle fine, and have no AFR problems. The new generations of high impedance injectors are much better, and are much closer flow matched because they are being flow tested in larger batches.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
OP... if you get a good turbo from a decent company, you won't have to worry about wasting money on porting and polishing, as the company will do that for you. (Blouch did it on my turbo).

If you're wanting a 400whp car, look at my build list. I'm on low boost (for this turbo), and making almost 400.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Yeah... I'm going to disagree with you on the fuel rail setup. Having a large fuel rail isn't going to change the amount of fuel going through injectors, or the amount of fuel needed for combustion in the cylinders. Yes, it'll decrease the amount of pressure loss between the hard lines and injectors, as well as more reliably get fuel to all 4 injectors without pressure loss on the far injectors, but my personal opinion is, if you can do it with a walbro 255, then you don't need a fuel rail. Once you have to step up to a 400lph pump, then fuel rails are a necessity.

I have a 400whp-ish build on E85 (which has a much higher fuel demand than pump) running through 1100cc injectors... on stock fuel rails. I idle fine, and have no AFR problems. The new generations of high impedance injectors are much better, and are much closer flow matched because they are being flow tested in larger batches.
It would allow for a more equal and parallel fuel flow to each injector versus the factory rail design. From personal experience, we were able to drop over 15% duty cycle from switching to a different rail and fuel line setup with a retune...thats pretty significant. I'm just speaking from an efficiency point of view. I know that everyone runs massive injectors and it works but does it make it the best setup? To me, the purpose is the have as small of a fuel injector as possible and staying in its efficiency range.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I can't argue with your #'s because I've never done a before and after with fuel rails.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
..beast turbo upgrade..

..wanting 400hp/400tq .. on pump gas .. 18g and the 20g

..not looking to spend over 1000$..

If you're talking about power to the wheels, it's not going to happen, plain and simple.

First of all, a decent 20g (Subaru WRX/STi 20G-XT Turbocharger) is going to cost >$1400. Secondly, that turbo is only going to new you around 350whp on pump gas. For a RELIABLE 400whp build you will need to multiply your funds by about six to ten.

·
Æternum
20,959 Posts
Kevin, the Subaru fuel rail design is pretty miserable. 1100cc injectors and 400lph fuel pump will get you there, but I can tell you that switching to a parallel fuel rail will allow you to back off the IDCs by a fair amount.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
If you're talking about power to the wheels, it's not going to happen, plain and simple.

First of all, a decent 20g (Subaru WRX/STi 20G-XT Turbocharger) is going to cost >$1400. Secondly, that turbo is only going to new you around 350whp on pump gas. For a RELIABLE 400whp build you will need to multiply your funds by about six to ten.
I only get 330whp on gas, and that's with a turbo bigger than a 20g XT. Granted.. it's 21psi, and I could push it further...

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I was like you before...kind of skeptical until I decided to try it and did a before and after.
Maybe I'll have to do the same. Hell, fuel rails aren't that expensive. You want to donate one to the cause ;) lol... jk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts