ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RX (sorry guys) and my battery had to be replaced this morning, only 2 years and 3 months old...as is the car! Was not too happy about this as I've only done 16,705 km during this time and expected a lot more from Subaru. They weren't really interested in this, which was also disappointing. What do you think as I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
The life of a battery depends on a lot of variables like environmental conditions, load, how long your car sits, condition of the alternator, how much you drive the car, etc etc.

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
The life of a battery depends on a lot of variables like environmental conditions, load, how long your car sits, condition of the alternator, how much you drive the car, etc etc.
This.

My battery has lasted the better part of 5 years.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Batteries here in Cali only last about 3 years. Has a lot to do with climate and the hot summers here. My original battery got me exactly 3 years before a cell went dead and I limped it to the store.

Also depends on how long your car had been assembled before you bought it. My car was almost a year old (so the battery was too) before I bought it off the lot.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
yep, hot and cold climates tend to kill them faster than mild even climates. Just fact o life *shrug*

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
RX?

Are you running a Subaru battery?

I'm running a cheap "silver" battery from advance auto. I'm on year 4 and probably will be able to grab another year off it but may replace it this winter for the hell of it.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
As stated, battery life depends on a lot of different factors. I've had my car for almost 6 years now, still on the stock battery after having been through some very cold winters, some very hot summers, and the audio setup I have hasn't helped anything either, though that puts more strain on the alternator than anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't mean to threadjack but what has been your guy's luck with optima batteries? I recently got a sweet deal on one and was wondering what to expect.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I've been told never buy them from an autoparts store. Guy at autozone talked me out of one saying he dusts the optima display batteries all the time and has never sold one in the two years he'd worked there.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Subaru cover it under warranty? I'd think that would be an easy battle to win.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Subaru cover it under warranty? I'd think that would be an easy battle to win.
If you look above he doesn't have a new subaru. He never confirmed it up the Rx is an old model subaru. Also he never even confirmed that it was an actual subaru battery. If it was a new car and the battery died within the 3/36 it would be replaced. Not really sure how it would work if you bought one after that. They are interstate batteries so I'm sure there's some sort of prorate like every other battery made.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Don't mean to threadjack but what has been your guy's luck with optima batteries? I recently got a sweet deal on one and was wondering what to expect.

I've ran Optima batteries for the last ten years. My experience has been hit or miss. First Red Top was dead within four days after purchase, second Red Top lasted 5+ years, third Red Top lasted ~8 months before it exploded in traffic (don't want to go through that again). Now I have a Yellow Top that has been fine for nearly a year now.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've ran Optima batteries for the last ten years. My experience has been hit or miss. First Red Top was dead within four days after purchase, second Red Top lasted 5+ years, third Red Top lasted ~8 months before it exploded in traffic (don't want to go through that again). Now I have a Yellow Top that has been fine for nearly a year now.
Yet for some reason you just keep buying them? lol

I would never buy such crap that would leave me screwed on the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Yet for some reason you just keep buying them? lol

I would never buy such crap that would leave me screwed on the side of the road.

What do you mean buying them? The only one I paid full price for was the first one, second one was free, then I got $90 back on it when I bought the third, and I only paid the price difference for the Yellow Top.

And the very first one was the only battery that left me stranded, at home. Even the one that exploded kept working..

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
What do you mean buying them? The only one I paid full price for was the first one, second one was free, then I got $90 back on it when I bought the third, and I only paid the price difference for the Yellow Top.

And the very first one was the only battery that left me stranded, at home. Even the one that exploded kept working..
Check the bolded in your quote. Paid, bought, paid. Doesn't matter the deal or sale or whatever they gave you if you put out money you're purchasing. I guess if you're really going to break it down that much my comment should be "I don't know why you keep getting them when you have had two bad batteries and one good battery". Obviously your current battery is still out for judgement. That is my only point. If I purchased a certain brand toaster and it kept burning my toast on all settings chances are I wouldn't be buying that brand toaster ever again.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Yeah, I get your point. I guess what has kept me with them is the fact that if the battery was not defective from the start it worked great. That, and the fact that their warranty held up pretty good for me.

I wouldn't exactly recommend Optima batteries because of the abnormally high rate of manufacturer defects I have dealt with. The one Red Top I had that wasn't defective survived through considerable abuse and was still working when I traded it in.

What if you bought said toaster and it didn't work the next morning, so you took it back to the store and they promptly replaced it, and the second one was the best working toaster you ever had? Would you buy another one several years later? Probably.. but then if that next toaster exploded a few months later and nearly burned your house down I can see why you might shy away from that brand, even if they did offer to replace it for free. I just figured I would give the Yellow Top a shot since it's a partial deep cycle and I like the fact that my battery never goes dead.

After this one I will be shopping around though because Optima's quality control had gone down hill and they have shortened their warranty. I was actually grandfathered in under the old warranty rules.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts