Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 WRX purchased new. I have a CompuStar remote start with DroneMobile (no alarm). I also have a Waylens Secure360 dash cam.

My battery has died before, 5 days of no use which I’ve expected, but that was with just the remote starter. Now with the dash cam my car will die in a day or two, and with the temperatures getting lower it now dies overnight.

I did a parasitic drain test and it’s showing .75 amps. Without the camera hooked up it’s showing .40 amps. Without the camera or remote start hooked up it’s showing .34 amps.

Clearly the camera pulls the most power but it’s something I need to have installed, it’s also a beta model so it should have improvements with updates coming. I know the stock Subaru battery is weak and can barely hold a charge without anything connected.

Any suggestions on wether a better battery will help with this?

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
Can you hook up a trickle charger?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,584 Posts
Try one of those solar trickle charge thingies I suppose. Ultimately your use pattern isn't sustainable though.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Yep. Sounds like the OP needs a battery cut-off switch more than anything for the extended periods parked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not parking for extended periods of time. This is battery drain over two days and sometimes overnight if its cold enough.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The OEM batteries are crap, mine crapped out in under a year.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
....My battery has died before, 5 days of no use w......
uhhhhh, this is a little more than 2 days or overnight.......
Also, the more deep discharges you do to a 'typical' lead-acid auto battery, the less charge it holds upon recovery, making for quicker intervals of subsequent deep discharges......

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
The battery in my 2012 legacy was the original and it lasted until last year. Subaru oem batteries are fine quality. Don’t fall for that optima battery hype crap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts