ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've looked around on the forums quite a bit but the clear answer I'm looking for seems to elude me. I'm fairly happy with the stock suspension on my car (pretty good ride with decent cornering capabilities), save the two inherent (related) problems it has: understeer and body roll. I'm looking to reduce both.

Now to my question. I was planning on purchasing a 22mm rear sway bar and leaving it at that. Because I don't want to compromise the ride too much and at the same time I want the handling as close to neutral as possible. Will this accomplish my goals? I don't autocross, I just want fantastic road handling on the car I drive everyday. On the same note I have read some people saying that they actually thought replacing their front swaybar was a more noticeable improvement. This seems counter-intuitive to my admittedly limited knowledge of suspension. If I'm not incorrect the stock FSB is 20mm and the rear is only 17mm. I would expect bigger handling gains from stiffening the rear end in terms of adding oversteer and lessening understeer, especially considering it's the smaller of the two.

So after this very lengthy examination of the issue, what do you guys think I should do to satisfy my needs? Would a 22mm RSB give me the performance I want or am I going to need to replace both? Oh, and since I'm inundating you guys with questions, how necessary is it to replace the end links? Thanks guys

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the reply man, but almost $700 is def more than I'm looking to spend on what I consider a budget mod. I don't have a specific kit in mind (probly Cusco or Whiteline, something like that), I'm more looking for basic knowledge on the subject. Basically whether front and rear is what I need or if just the rear would do the trick and which sizes would be optimal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've never driven a WRX, only STi's.

With that said, stiffer front sway bars on all Impreza's improves front grip. Yes, you are correct this is counter-intuitive to general suspension tuning. But the Impreza's camber curve is terrible. It has so much body roll combined with the suspension your tires can actually go to positive camber angles in hard cornering resulting in much less front grip.

The more body roll you can reduce, with either spring or sways or both, will greatly improve the camber curve giving better overall grip.

I would go with both front and rear sways, better balance IMO. Get an adjustable rear if you can, then you will have some adjustment.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
^ agreed, both front/rear- for a daily driver probably in the 22mm ish range- preferable adj as that gives you several settings to "play" w/

for a sedan I'd leave the oe links in front- they're spherical links and do a good job, the rears (both wagon and sedan WRX) leave a little to be desired- soft bushings. as you firm the bushing up, you reduce deflection- allowing the swaybar to act quicker

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
I have front and rear 22mm adj bars on my wrx and wish I would have stepped up to a 25mm in the rear. I'm runnin USDM STi springs on stock struts. I have upgraded endlinks and mounts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Front and Rear it is

Hey thanks a lot for the responses guys, I really appreciate it. You've definitely talked me into going both front and rear for the most balanced handling. It also appears that the endlinks will help me extract the most performance from the new bars. Since they aren't that expensive I don't see why getting them could possibly hurt. Thanks STiDriven for the concise explanation, that was def helpful.

In response to Teh Rexzor, I mean no disrespect but I don't know where you've shopped. I can get a front bar and adjustable rear bar w/endlinks for under $400 shipped to my house. Cusco or Whiteline products. That's just in case other ppl looking to do the same mod read this and get scared away thinking it will cost them upwards of $700. Thanks again guys, I'll report back here after I get them and do the install.

·
Is in Love With the Admins Here
2,770 Posts
I can get a front bar and adjustable rear bar w/endlinks for under $400 shipped to my house. Cusco or Whiteline products.
Where exactly are you getting this great deal from? I just priced out F/R SBs w/endlinks & I came up with $700.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's one example:
http://www.rallitek.com/rafuswbarkit.html

But for a tiny bit more I could buy Whiteline front and rear bars for about $150 a piece and endlinks for like $70. Cusco is roughly the same price.

·
Is in Love With the Admins Here
2,770 Posts
Here's one example:
http://www.rallitek.com/rafuswbarkit.html
But for a tiny bit more I could buy Whiteline front and rear bars for about $150 a piece and endlinks for like $70. Cusco is roughly the same price.
The endlinks in that pic (rallitek) don't look as beefy as the Cobb ones & other ones I've seen. Plus the bushings aren't greasable like many of the other ones out there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have front and rear 22mm adj bars on my wrx and wish I would have stepped up to a 25mm in the rear. I'm runnin USDM STi springs on stock struts. I have upgraded endlinks and mounts.
sorry for jacking the thread, but i don't feel like making a new thread. simple question: im running coilovers with stock sway bars, and would like to upgrade them. since im running coilovers, would 22mil adj bars be perfect for my setup? i know thicker is always better, but could my coilovers offset for the not ultimately thick (but of course better than stock) sway bars? (im only looking into it because of possibilities of my sway bars being messed up.)

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
22mm bars won't be too "big" even if your running coilovers- get adj ones so you can fiddle w/ the settings and get them dialed in just right

1 - 13 of 13 Posts