ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first WRX. It is a bone stock 2004 with 110,000 miles. Before I increase the HP I would like to get the brakes and suspension up to snuff. I will be starting with the brakes. I would like to be able to use my OEM 16" wheels(which are currently being fitted with winter tires) for the Cleveland winters. I will be putting 17" wheels on in the spring(I am thinking Sparcos). I need to upgrade the brakes as much as possible while still keeping overall diameter inside OEM 16" wheel requirements. I won't be going overboard with engine mods. Eventually just a Cobb stage 2 maybe a little more. Any good ideas. Also any starting suspension mods. I will be driving this car 25 miles each way to work so I don't need it to be to ridiculous, just a little more lively. I don't plan on doing any real racing I would just like the car to be something I can live with everyday and have fun taking the back roads home from work.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Upgraded pads, rotors, stainless lines and fluid and a master cylinder brace will yield great results. As for suspension a good spring/strut combo and some sway bars along with a number of bushings will be a good start. For specific brands and products do some google searching through the forums.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sin- was it a complete p.i.t.a? I've been wanting to upgrade but I've heard mixed reviews about the install. The fronts are direct bolt ons while the back require some mods, am I right? :confused1

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
The fronts are a direct swap. Rotors, Pads, Calipers. Even my SS Brake lines worked just fine.

The Rears are a pain because the ebrake is different between the STi and WRX. BUT... DBA developed a rear rotor that works with the WRX ebrake, and the brembo calipers. So... as long as you use that rotor, it's an easy swap.

I'd just make sure you get a couple pairs of the DBA rotors... who knows how much demand there is for them, and how long they'll make them.

·
Æternum
20,563 Posts
Google "H6 rear rotor upgrade". It's the best bang-for-your-buck brake mod for the 2002-2005 wrx. Basically you get upgraded ( from 10.3" to 11.4") rear rotors from the older Legacy GT for <200 bucks. I have this done with my BBK fronts.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Front: ~$600 2006-07 Subaru "Group-N" 4-Pots (you will need a 5 mm spacer if you plan to use the stock 16" wheels)

Rear: ~$250 Legacy H6 rotors

Pads: your preference

Tires: your preference

-Shadow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts