ClubWRX Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
11,970 Posts
Cobb is loud AF. Louder than I wanted it to be. How is this one of the quietest exhausts on the market?
Maybe I'm used to listening to my corsa and the random grapefruit launchers guys slap on them but I didn't think the cobb even remotely hit the loud meter compared to aftermarket angst cannons we put on our cars. My opinion my be skewed because working in a machine shop my hearing may or may not be trustworthy of quiet.

I didn't think my corsa was loud, and next to a sti at work with the full cobb treatment the cobb exhaust certainly was not. Although to be fair when I was getting on it you could hear my car a fair distance away.

I'm surprised to hear that. Maybe I need to have my ears checked.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
My exhaust has really mellowed out, since new. It has a subtle tone and it's not too loud. I made the right choice, factoring in consideration for the neighbors and driveability. The little extra sound seems to have helped my driving, in that it's easier for me to keep the motor at lower RPM's from a dead stop to make a smoother a transition with the sensitive clutch. I know I've been driving a manual for almost 20 years, but it's nice to make it a little easier.

I'd really really like a Cobb downpipe, but I'm not yet ready to pull the trigger. I can't fight the urge of wanting to keep my warranty. Despite the downpipe only being around $600, I also can't help but to realize that money is better spent on something else, or used to purchase some more market shares. Regardless, when the time comes to modify the car, that's likely the next step I will take. I don't care about the taper from 3" to 2.5" where it connects to the catback. I'd rather have a quality piece from a proven company. I also have faith in the Cobb plug and play "stage 2" tune.

My Cobb intake and AP from my 2015 have been collecting dust in the basement for three years. I'm not quite sure the intake will ever be used again, but that's still yet to be determined. As I get older, I don't know if I want to constantly hear the whooshing on a daily basis.

I've also recently enjoyed watching youtube channels of motor failures and idiot/showoff STI owners. It's a reassurance of a large majority of EJ failures being attributed to poor modding, bad/no tunes, or abusive driving. One of my favorite clips included someone who'd just installed ELH on his STI and he took it out for a hard drive. I pointed out in the comments he needs to have a tune before he continues to drive it. I was laughed at and called an idiot.

I've been toying with the the idea of adding factory option skirts for the side and rear bumper. I really like the way it looks. I may also take the mud flaps off, to avoid any further association of being a typical STI owner... I purchased them to protect the paint, but I'm not quite sure how effective that is. I may purchase black fender badges from Subaru. I refuse to purchase any aesthetic modification that couldn't be purchased from the dealership. I really like keeping the car pure to its true form. Even the window tint is a subtle 35%. Does this make sense, or am I being obsessive?

The other option I'm considering is a highly reviewed stereo upgrade which replaces the factory speakers and adds a small subwoofer which is contoured into the trunk shape to be confused for a factory upgrade. The system uses your factory head unit. It's costly, so... again... for all of this, the responsible spending gets in the way.

My apologies for the long post. I'm kind of thinking out loud. I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays, despite COVID.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts