ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
11,427 Posts
As I started reading i instantly thought. Muff deletes, read further and chuckled, kept reading and felt you made the better choice in the end. I'm funny with exhausts, and nothing makes me sadder than a wide open 4 pot.

Sucks about the tires, I fought some issues on the war wagon with my trackbar and death wobble. Demolished a set of BFG MTs and had to shell out another 2k on top of the heavier trackbar to get new tires because I'm a lazy turd.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The laziness got the better of me, too. I could have easily gotten on the ball sooner and replaced the tire with Tirerack. It made it out to be too much of a hassle to get into a shop. As a result of this issue, I'll always order my tires through the shop that mounts them. If there's an issue they can address it. When I ordered my wife's Conti's for her Crosstrek, I actually found the lowest price ordering through a local shop. It took calling around to a few places, but I'm pleased with the outcome. I ended up paying around $650 for them, including mounting/balancing. The lowest price I could find the tires online was around $800 with taxes. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After countless edits, I think I have my final and mostly proofread prologue completed on the first post. It's probably riddled with typos and inaccuracies. Put your blinders on.

I also realize I'll mostly be speaking to myself in this thread. It entertains me after a strong cup of coffee, so fuck it. I'm usually the only one who really wants to listen to what I have to say, anyway.

·
11,427 Posts
No duck call on the wastegate for that sweet quaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkk

·
11,427 Posts
I often wondered if it would be possible to wire up a loud speaker to the bypass valve and every time it opens it's the sound of a goat screaming. The more air the louder.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Don't give anyone any ideas. Besides, if we wanted fake engine noises, we would have purchased Golf R's, or the newest model Type R's. Must be an R thing. Granted, the STI has the tube thing that 'amplifies' sound, but not via speaker systems. (seriously though WTF is with the artificial engine noises)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm not sure how I feel about my replacement tire. It's not horrible, but there seems to be excessive wear on the inside of the tire. Would that have been from a lot of negative camber hard driving? The tread depth was also advertised as being 7/32, which would have been perfectly in line with my other tires, but it's dead nuts 6/32. It's still within the recommended 2/32 of the other tires, so I don't think I'll notice a difference, unless the tire is junk.

I got a partial refund, but I'm apprehensive about this. I'm going to mount it and see what happens. I want to get another season out of these tires. Never again will I order a set of tires online.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think when it comes to modding, you want to definitely find out what your end goals are for the car, what do you want to get out of it and then go from there. I will agree with you though on the intake, i don't really need super cool turbo whooshy noises since I get that from my TBE. The stock intake box is perfectly fine, I would at least get a Grimmspeed Panel Filter since it flows better than stock, is still sealed and you can reuse it after washing it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Anything I get will be compatible with a more powerful build, if I go that route in the long run. A Cobb DP would fit the bill. The tapered 2.5 inch connection to the catback doesn't really make a difference unless you add a lot more power than I likely ever will. It's the most compatible with a Cobb off the shelf map.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Great news today! My Cobb exhaust is on. I'm so glad I went with one of the quieter exhausts, because even this is almost too loud. It sounds great in the cabin and outside of the car. I'm happy with the purchase. The quality looks top notch.

Bad news today! My new tire didn't fix the issue. The car pulled to the right, just as it did with the last tire. I had them rotate the fronts and the car pulls to the left. So two bad tires? I have no fucking clue. I'm not wasting anymore time or money on tires, as the last few years have been draining. I may try to rotate them back how they were before Subaru rotated them, even if they wear unevenly this winter. I'll put my stock summer tires back on after that. I called the dealership to see how I would have to rotate them back. They said they cross the fronts and move the front to back... When I hung up the phone I was confused. So does that mean my RF goes to LR and LR goes to LF?

What if I just deal with the pull under acceleration this winter and junk the tires in March when I can put my stockers back on for the warm season? Will that damage the diff to keep it this way? It will likely be less than 5k miles, but there's a noticeable pull.

My wife is not going to keep letting me go to shop after shop ($$$), with the continuous problems we keep having.

·
11,427 Posts
Maybe the tire you thought was good is the actual problem.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I addressed that with the shop, but they said the bad tire will always pull to the side it's mounted on. Of course, they immediately jumped to torque steer. The tech went as far as to say maybe one of my axles is a couple inches longer than the other. After I won that argument, I was told the other tire I purchased was probably bad. That argument was made after I'm positive the tech took my car for a joyride. His proclaimed route would have taken him 5 minutes. He was gone for 15-20.

I noticed the tech only had the original tire I had mounted again filled to 36 PSI. I fill the rest of my tires between 38-40. I'm going to sound like a complete irresponsible idiot, because when I discovered that, I filled my left front (pulling side) up to 40 PSI and left my right front at 37. I know I'm not supposed to do this, but it's actually a lot better. At this point I almost don't care at all. I'm done with the issue. I'll keep the tires through March, put my stock tires back on after the cold season, and then buy a new set of A/S tires in fall, 2021.

It seems like I've always had some kind of steering/tracking/alignment issue since I purchased my first WRX in 13.

·
11,427 Posts
A bad tire can cause all levels of steering problems and pulling. Not just specifically to one side.

I would have shit my britches if one tech tried and tell me that the possibility of an axle being a few inches different was causing the problem. I can't fathom how someone can be that ignorant and work in the field.

If more air works run with it. I'd almost have a secondary alignment check just to make sure both wheels are pointing straight.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sorry for butting into your thread, Zach, but in response to XJman...

One of the things this STI/WRX has that the Camaro, et al., doesn't is the ability for some serious (key: semi-safe) fun in the snow - especially with snow tires. I guess that doesn't apply if you live in an area that doesn't get any. We used to get quite a bit here, but no so much anymore. I'm so childish I even call off when it snows.

Good luck with the build, Zach. I love the white WRXs/STIs. And, I'd be hard-pressed to get rid of the rumble of the ULH.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
A bad tire can cause all levels of steering problems and pulling. Not just specifically to one side.

I would have shit my britches if one tech tried and tell me that the possibility of an axle being a few inches different was causing the problem. I can't fathom how someone can be that ignorant and work in the field.

If more air works run with it. I'd almost have a secondary alignment check just to make sure both wheels are pointing straight.
I was pretty firm with the tech when he told me he's seen cars where the axles are even from the factory and sometimes it's just their nature to pull to one side or the other because of it. He looked like an 18 year old kid. I wanted to tell him my car isn't a Chevy Cavalier, so I'm pretty sure the axles are even.

Like you said, I'm going to leave it as it. I know it won't be good for the tires, but the pull is minimal almost to the point of unnoticeable. I'll junk the tires in the spring. Sucks, since I love how they ride and handle.

·
11,427 Posts
I was pretty firm with the tech when he told me he's seen cars where the axles are even from the factory and sometimes it's just their nature to pull to one side or the other because of it. He looked like an 18 year old kid. I wanted to tell him my car isn't a Chevy Cavalier, so I'm pretty sure the axles are even.

Like you said, I'm going to leave it as it. I know it won't be good for the tires, but the pull is minimal almost to the point of unnoticeable. I'll junk the tires in the spring. Sucks, since I love how they ride and handle.
Dude you and steering just fight. Its beyond me what the fuck it is with your cars. Someone's out there dicking with you.

·
11,427 Posts
One day measure from a given point on your wheel like the center cap to the floor. Measure every wheel and note the measurement.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Cobb is loud AF. Louder than I wanted it to be. How is this one of the quietest exhausts on the market?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts