ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did some baseline runs on a Dyno Dynamics. My stock 07 put down 168 awhp. That about normal? What can I expect from this same dyno post stage 2?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Rdg said:
Thats with an AP, I am having it Protuned. So I can exect a bit more than that. I dyno'd stock at 168 awhp, they must have a stingy dyno, or are all dyno dynamics known to be a tad on the low side?
Probably comparable to a stock STi - I'm not really informed on the different types of dynos.

·
Registered
966 Posts
well the loss of power from crank to wheels is about 20%-25%(depending on the dyno.....so your baseline is normal...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I Beleive Dyno Dynamics to be lower then others. My Full Catless With K&N Drop in 03 ej20 put down 202 whp with Cobb OTS Stg 2 91oct. According to cobb this map does 224 on a mustang dyno.

Additionally I see people with Similar mods with a AWHP figure higher then mine and others tuned at P.R.E.'s Dyno Dynamics.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Sounds like a heartbreaker dyno.

Maybe Bobby could let us know,

personally id rather have a Dyno read low and really have more power, than one that reads high...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Those Cobb numbers seem very generous. stock = 202 whp????

That means they have a magic dyno, or magic WRX, giving only 11% drivetrain losses (from 227 at the crank to 202 at the wheels)?

:confused:

:rotfl:

The 168-170 whp sounds about right for a stock car. That's what I did when I was stock/untuned.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Those Cobb numbers seem very generous. stock = 202 whp???
link please.....

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Dyno's can be easily manipulated to read high or "artificially inflate" numbers. Also figure a company like Cobb wants to publish the largest advertised HP gain to make their product more desirable to consumers...meh.
OT:
That being said, my buddies 2006 WRX dyno'd bone stock on a Mustang dyno at 16x WHP. Bone stock nothing done to it. On the same dyno my car (06 wrx) Cobb stage 2 put down 202WHP and 227 Whtq. Protuned it put down 240whp 290whtq, graph in "my mods" link in sig for your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
966 Posts
yeah companys like cobb pack the intercooler with ice and have huge fans blowing on the engine....this gives consumers false ausumptions of what the HP will really....bottom line, the companys let the numbers sell their product

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
yeah companys like cobb pack the intercooler with ice and have huge fans blowing on the engine....this gives consumers false ausumptions of what the HP will really....bottom line, the companys let the numbers sell their product
You don't even have to go that far. On the dyno Cobb uses (Mustang) you can change the "load" the dyno induces and thus change the "hp output". My tuner uses the same Mustang dyno, although properly calibrated and setup, as does GST Motorsports. Their dynos read within 5-7HP of one another on the same car. A stock Wrx at GST is 160-170ish too.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I don't know why everybody is badmouthing Cobb. All tuners inflate their numbers or give best cases. All I know is that my Cobb stage 2 is WAY faster than the stock car or even Cobb stage 1. As far as I'm concerned, they can say whatever numbers they want. Their products speak for themselves. :cool:

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
I don't know why everybody is badmouthing Cobb. All tuners inflate their numbers or give best cases. All I know is that my Cobb stage 2 is WAY faster than the stock car or even Cobb stage 1. As far as I'm concerned, they can say whatever numbers they want. Their products speak for themselves. :cool:

Not bad mouthing just stating the facts. FTR I own an AP V2 and am quite happy with it. I have also met the guys from Cobb (Trey etc.) a couple of times, good guys.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I don't know why everybody is badmouthing Cobb. All tuners inflate their numbers or give best cases. All I know is that my Cobb stage 2 is WAY faster than the stock car or even Cobb stage 1. As far as I'm concerned, they can say whatever numbers they want. Their products speak for themselves.
oh hellls yeah...i love cobb....i had an AEM intake but switched it for a Cobb...i also have the AP and stage 2 i verrry nice....im not badmouthing cobb...i was just using them as an example of how companys max out the dyno tests

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't know why everybody is badmouthing Cobb. All tuners inflate their numbers or give best cases
Say what?

No one is bad mouthing COBB. We're just comparing "notes" and questioning figures.

If you want....you can always look at a review a certain "tuner" mag had done of catback exhausts on the Rex's. Gains claimed in excess of 8-10 hp on a stock DP for 1 or 2 of them.

Utterly amazing.......but those aren't reflected on dynos by everyday folks like you or myself :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: Just got my car back today!! Stage 2 goodness ftw.

Bone stock I dyno'd 168awhp and 184 awtq.
Stage 2 I put down 211 awhp and 261 awtq.

Overall I am pretty happy. Stage 2 is completely worth it for those on the fence!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Those Cobb numbers seem very generous. stock = 202 whp????

That means they have a magic dyno, or magic WRX, giving only 11% drivetrain losses (from 227 at the crank to 202 at the wheels)?

:confused:

:rotfl:

The 168-170 whp sounds about right for a stock car. That's what I did when I was stock/untuned.
I don't think they're that generous considering that we're talking about the '06/'07 WRX and not the earlier 2-liter models. It's been speculated that the 2.5-liter WRXs were underrated by Subaru so that they don't encroach too much on the STi's numbers. I don't blame them, from a marketing perspective "235hp vs. 300hp" looks a lot better than "270hp vs. 300hp".

According to Cobb's site:

'02-'05 WRX numbers: 169.9hp (stock) vs. 224.4hp (Stage 2)
'06-'07 WRX numbers: 202.2hp (stock) vs. 224.8hp (Stage 2)

It's not even worth discussing the torque difference between the two engines since the 2.5-liter motor makes more of it stock than the 2-liter churns out in Stage 2 form. I don't see why they would have used different dynos between the two datasets but I suppose they could have. I think the numbers are correct.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts