ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It is probably to late to ask this here, but I have the AccessPort stage 1 setup on my girls 04 WRX, and I want to do a baseline dyno run on the car. Can I just load a "stock" realtime map laid over the stage 1 93 octane base map for the first couple dyno runs and get a realistic picture of the stock output of the car before switching back to the stage 1 93 octane realtime map?

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys,

Using the method described above to get my base line runs and some runs with the different stages I had the following results:

Stock mode:

Around 13 psi boost with 193 lb-ft of torque at 3750 RPM and 178 wheel HP at 5600 RPM.

Stage 1 93 octane mode:

Around 14 psi boost with 198 lb-ft of torque at 3877 RPM and 189.8 wheel HP at 5500 RPM That is a gain of 5 lb-ft of torque and 12 wheel HP over stock mode.

Stage 2 93 octane mode (not recomended by Cobb for stock WRX) :

Around 14 psi boost again, with 198 lb-ft of torque at 3790 RPM and 196.5 wheel HP at 5500 RPM. That is a gain of 5 lb-ft of torque and 20 wheel HP over stock on an otherwise bone stock WRX. And the A/F ratios still looked good on the plot as well. Keep in mind this is running 94 octane sunoco and I have no idea what EGT's were.... but I figured it wouldn't hurt for two dyno runs

Finally the wierd one!

91 octane fuel economy mode (not recomended by
Cobb for performance) :

Around 12 psi boost, 192.9 lb-ft of torque @ 3836 RPM and 191.7 HP at 5667 RPM! That is a loss of 0.1 lb-ft of torque and a gain of 14 wheel HP over stock. That is more HP gain than the stage 1 map!

It does run too lean (at least on a dyno) for extended high performance use, and has a dip in the torque curve at 3,500 RPM that makes me wonder if I got a little ping there... or is it something Cobb did to slow down spool of the turbo and thus avoid ping???

Conclusion:

I think the best thing about the stage 1 tune is the gain in HP AFTER the HP peak due to it being able to hold boost beter than the stock setup. We are talking a good 30 wheel HP gain at redline over stock. I will have to check when I get my printouts. As soon as I get the printouts from Dan (printer ran out of ink) I will post links to them for people to look at.

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
the reason why the economy mode gave you all that hp is because it runs really lean to conserve fuel. lean = more power, but it isnt safe at all for the car.

I have never put my car on economy mode, scared that i'll forget its on and detonate

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
05silverWRX said:
Did you give your ECU time to learn stage 1 before the dyno?? 12whp seems a little low and it should be hitting around 14.5 psi as well...
I did the "shiv trick" for timing advance that also seems to give good learning on the boost curve when I first set it up to run the stage 1 93 octane map, and have been running that as my base map AND real time map for over a week now. The Cobb notes say 14.5 +/- .5 psi so I am within the perameters of boost for stage 1, but I may try the HWG map and see what it gives me.

Also, since the car had been in Stage 1 93 octane for a week and just had the stock mode realtime map overlaying the stage 1 93 octane base map the stock mode dyno run may have been a little inflated compared to if I had actually done a "bone stock" dyno run before installing the AccessPort.

Keith

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hellafastWRX said:
the reason why the economy mode gave you all that hp is because it runs really lean to conserve fuel. lean = more power, but it isnt safe at all for the car.

I have never put my car on economy mode, scared that i'll forget its on and detonate
Economy mode is supposed to be safe for 91 octane and I was running 94 on the dyno and run 93 octane on a day to day basis... not really worried about detonation, and didn't hear any pinging on the dyno.

What is interesting about that is the info given in the notes section of the Cobb AP programing says that the economy mode does NOT mess with the fuel maps. They say it reduces boost to wastegate spring pressure and advances the timing curve for better fuel economy without messing with the fuel maps at all. It defenitly was running leaner at WOT on that map though and it is possible that advancing the timing a large amount has an effect on air fuel ratio.

I think that the "fuel economy" map combined with a MBC may be the "race gas map" people have been looking for. I know that a MBC isn't good on the 04 WRX due to the PTFB issue, but if you were only putting it in for drag race use along with high octane (100 or 105 unleaded fuel) and the AP fuel economy map it would be fine for WOT use. Just pull out the MBC at the end of the track day and put your normal map back into the AP.

Keith

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Fourdoor said:
I did the "shiv trick" for timing advance that also seems to give good learning on the boost curve when I first set it up to run the stage 1 93 octane map, and have been running that as my base map AND real time map for over a week now. The Cobb notes say 14.5 +/- .5 psi so I am within the perameters of boost for stage 1, but I may try the HWG map and see what it gives me.

Also, since the car had been in Stage 1 93 octane for a week and just had the stock mode realtime map overlaying the stage 1 93 octane base map the stock mode dyno run may have been a little inflated compared to if I had actually done a "bone stock" dyno run before installing the AccessPort.

Keith
I like to go WOT alot though :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hellafastWRX said:
I like to go WOT alot though :)

Ummmm, so do I. So? What of it? Not getting your point here.

Looked over the Cobb site today, and it says boost should be 14.7 +/- .5 and I was actually only getting 13.8 to 13.9 so I went ahead and switched to the hwg 93 oct map. Now I am hitting a solid 14.6 to 14.7 peak on a long pull in 4th gear. I wish I had these available on the dyno day darn it!

How much more power do you guys think I would have gotten with almost a full pound more boost?

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
05silverWRX said:
Did you switch to the real time or base map HWG?? I would think it would be an extra 10 to 12 whp for an additional pound of boost.
I went ahead and did the full base tune reflash (98 flashes left now) and did the real time map as well.

10 to 12 more ponies would put me right at 22 to 24 wheel hp gain, right in line with the expected results for stage one :)

Keith

PS: Next post is Baseline dyno, baseline A/F ratio then stage 1 dyno and stage 1 A/F ratio.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never rely on the internet :(

I was searching for old dyno charts for my WRX for comparison to my current car... found this thread and was "YES!"...

Then I clicked on the thread to see my beautiful uploaded (not linked from photobucket) charts... but all the charts are gone!

I see this forum has switched to the same crappy system as other car forums I am on... I assume there is some economic gain from swapping to this crap. I have to assume that all uploaded content got deleted on the switchover.

Keith

·
Premium Member
10,771 Posts
Come on now. It's as close to Reddit Facebook and Instagram they can get without trademark infringement.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Come on now. It's as close to Reddit Facebook and Instagram they can get without trademark infringement.
There is a reason my boomer ass (boomer by parents age, Gen X by my age) isn't on Facebook, Instagram or Reddit...

I actually HATE that many businesses abandoned having an actual dedicated web site and switched to having an F'ing facebook page.

The fact that they purged all uploaded pictures / valuable content when they moved to the new format is just another kick in the nuts.

Keith

1 - 20 of 24 Posts