ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...

I don't track my '05 WRX wagon, and I'm not a DIY'er. I just got my Cobb stage 1 AP, and will probably soon replace the DP and UP (holding off on the cat-back until later)...I don't like the roll on my WRX, so I'll probably get new front & back sways soon too.

I've been told I should also be looking at new pads, fluid & brake lines...but I'm wondering if I really need that, given the fact that I'm not tracking and I don't notice a problem with my current braking on the roads & highways I use.

Basically, I'm looking for advice on what I need as bare minimum suspension and brakes to support the Cobb stage 1 & 2 AP maps, and the after-market DP and UP.

Thanks in advance for any & all advice.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,206 Posts
The bare minimum would be dampers, bushings, rotors, and pads up to full factory spec plus fresh fluid. The catch is that if you need to replace something, aftermarket parts of higher spec are often priced competitively with factory parts of OEM spec.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
what tires are you running? grippy tires will help w/ handling AND braking- best bang for the buck as far as both handling and braking

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've still got the OEM Bridgestone Potenza's...waiting to wear them down before investing in new tires. After this winter, I'll be looking for new ones. Any suggestions...keeping in mind, again, that I'm probably not the typical guy on this forum...I don't need the best of the best for what I'm doing with my car.

·
29,206 Posts
I don't need the best of the best either but I always try to spend more than I consider reasonable or prudent on tires. You'll only really need them once, if ever, and hopefully never. I always go for it though. Shop online and save as much as possible that way. For good all-weathers, Falken ZIEX on the cheap side or P Zero Nero M&S, Pilot Sport A/S and so on on the big ticket side. For dry summers, again Falken on the cheap side and Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Bridgestone RE-01, Michelin Pilot Sport 2on the top end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't need the best of the best either but I always try to spend more than I consider reasonable or prudent on tires. You'll only really need them once, if ever, and hopefully never. I always go for it though. Shop online and save as much as possible that way. For good all-weathers, Falken ZIEX on the cheap side or P Zero Nero M&S, Pilot Sport A/S and so on on the big ticket side. For dry summers, again Falken on the cheap side and Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Bridgestone RE-01, Michelin Pilot Sport 2on the top end.
Hey, thanks SD_GR...I like the looks of those Bridgestone RE01's...On sale right now at TireRack for $149 per. Now all I need is to pair those up with some rims (I'm still running on the OEM 16" alloys...Would like to go 17").

Damn...things really start to add up, don't they!

·
29,206 Posts
Hey, thanks SD_GR...I like the looks of those Bridgestone RE01's...On sale right now at TireRack for $149 per. Now all I need is to pair those up with some rims (I'm still running on the OEM 16" alloys...Would like to go 17").

Damn...things really start to add up, don't they!

They do add up quick! Plus, the better summers have very high wear rates. Big Sky used the Bridgestones and I believe is selling a set on 16" Volks in another thread. I use the F1 GS-D3 that I got on sale for "only" $100 each and love them. My plan is to buy whatever ultra-high performance or max performance summer is on sale when I need them and not look back. I'm keeping my stock 16"s to save cash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts