ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.... basic rundown....

NGK 1 step colder Iridium plugs, AEM CAI, Cobb DP, Nameless CBE, Cobb OTS stage2 + AEM

When I blip the throttle, or let off the gas I get that subtle backfire pop that many WRXs have, not a bang...and small pop. This I assume is normal, tell me if I am wrong.

Today, on my way to work I was putting along at about 40 in 5th, and got a chance to get some quick speed (200-350 yards open space, no chance of heat). I downshifted to second and punched it. As I let off to slam 3rd there was a bang backfire...like from an ALS, but 1 bang, not bang - bang. There are no CELs or anything odd shown in the AP numbers, and it did not happen again. Is this something to worry about?

·
Registered
109 Posts
how is your exhaust? if you have leaks they will sometimes cause a backfire.
i had a old Chevy truck with exhaust leaks so i used to shut the ignition off while going down the road and when you turned the key back on it would bang like a shot gun just fired off. i would scare the crap out of people like that it was funny. i think this only works with a carberated engine though. if you pumped the gas before turning the key back on it would bang even louder. this was cool until the muffler gave up. LOL

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Afterfire (not backfire) is common in modified cars. The fact that you're running a base map doesn't help.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how is your exhaust? if you have leaks they will sometimes cause a backfire.
No known leaks. engine block to turbo is stock, downpipe is good and tight, catback is as well.

Afterfire (not backfire) is common in modified cars. The fact that you're running a base map doesn't help.
Afterburner... AWESOME!...wait, you said afterfire :rotfl:

Just want to make sure on two things.... I am running OTS stage 2 93oct, are you stating 'base map' as it is not a vehicle specific or pro tune? Just making sure I properly understand your use of the terminology.

Second...ok, so it is common. Is it something that can/will damage?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
DemonWRX said:
Just want to make sure on two things.... I am running OTS stage 2 93oct, are you stating 'base map' as it is not a vehicle specific or pro tune? Just making sure I properly understand your use of the terminology.

Second...ok, so it is common. Is it something that can/will damage?
It's not a specific map, it's a base map. It is likely due to the fueling being a little rich; a custom tune will lean that out a bit, and it will become less common.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figured that is what you meant.

Is it something that can/will damage?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Nothing bad will really happen.

It can occur on otherwise stock cars too. I've had a few afterfires in my STI when I've run it up to redline in 3rd gear and when I let off to shift into 4th. The only thing not stock on my car is the Nameless ABE.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, cool..... cause I kind of liked it:pwrmad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts