ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have helix up and dp and greddy evo2 exhaust....and sometimes when i rev or drive regularly..i hear this loud popping noise... sometimes its like boom......my question is...what is this noise?? is it a problem???? thanks

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
It's not a backfire, it's an afterfire. It is the unburnt fuel in your exhaust igniting. It is not a problem, and you have nothing to worry about. Your car has always done this, it is just that with the stock muffler and cats, it was inaudible.

·
Registered
128 Posts
get a bov and help that rich condition some more. then you will get nice back fires. light it up at night and get yourself pulled over.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yea. as mentioned above harmless. I am catless and if you listen closely you'll notice its typically right after you let of the gas as your coasting - I notice it particulary with the engine cold. The cessation of throttle leaves extra fuel which is incompletely combusted, thus you get a small pop after the combustion chamber as it explodes. Now if you were hearing it when you were under acceleration I'd worry some.

para

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
"i see....ahha..thanks...it scared me for a bit....its cuz of the catless setup right??"

Bingo~!! looks like we have a winner!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts