Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving on the highway when I heard what sounded like a backfire and the car started acting funny. I pulled it over and it stalled. I started it back up and it died everytime. It would not idle. I revved it and it seemed like an animal who had been hit with a tranquilizer and wanted to get up and run but couldn't. ( It was very sad. I have 15,770 miles on my car. I just got a new clutch that was covered, and I have had that for about 1,000 miles. Ever since I got the car back it has sounded a little weird when I get into the turbo. I have an AEM CAI. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Think they'll give me a hard time about anything.

AJ

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Wow. Don't know what it could be, but I'd like you to keep us informed! Good luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
check all of your vacuum hoses to start with.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Did your car "backfire" under power or were you just cruising? If you were accellerating it may be something serious. I hate to say it but it sounds like it could be detonation. The other reason I say this is that I know the AEM intake can lean out your A/F mixture to the point where detonation could occur.
I hope I'm wrong and it's something much less serious. Depending on your moral standards, you could simply take off the intake and go back to stock before going to the dealership.

Yes, if you leave the intake on they will give you a hard time.
Which means you will be paying the bill and it could be big bucks.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It does sound a little like it could be detonation. Obviously the car isn't idling properly now, but does it run rough (i.e. with bad vibration in addition to noise). I'm think it'll induce some vibrations (even though it's a boxer engine) if one the cylinders is not firing.

Did you have the CAI on there when you had the clutch replaced? If so, forget about removing since they'll obviously know. I'm inclined to think that you might be able to get by with it on since the stock intake system is basically just as good as a CAI (assuming the MAF sensor wasn't damaged, which would lead to improper air/fuel calculations and lean it out).

Definitely let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allright!! I got a call this morning around 10:00 from the dealer and he said your car is ready! Turns out an intercooler hose was not clamped tightly and came off. I know the turbo sounded a little louder after the clutch change. I am very pleased to know it was nothing. The wife was beginning to wonder what we got ourselves into with this car. She knew little about Subaru before this car and was a little apprehensive. Oh yeah it made the pop or backfire noise under acceleration and I would have no moral problem :D with taking the CAI off and putting the OEM stuff back. Are you kidding me?!

Other good news..my strut bar arrived today. I ordered it off ebay for around 43 bucks. Seemed like a cheap easy "handling" mod. I admit I don't know how much handling difference there will be but hey it was only 43 bucks. My friend says it made a big difference in his MX6

thanks for the concern all
AJ

·
Registered
132 Posts
woot!!!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
It's great that it was such a simple problem, but that simple problem could have some serious consequences. You should get your engine checked out again.

·
433 Posts
Strut bars? How long do they take to put on? Do you need any special tools? How much of a difference do they make to the handling of a stock WRX?

Thanks! :)

Oooh, also, where to buy a decent one for not too many $$?

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts