Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local muffler shop (very well respected) and asked them what it will cost to replace the muffler from the axle back with 2.5 inch pipe and 2.5 inch tip, and he quoted me 35-45$ . I was stunned. I think that this system is a much better deal than a $400 muffler. I saw that someone already did something like this on this forum, so I thought I would try it out also, and with the price as low as it is, I said what the hell. :cool:
As soon as its on I will update you on what I feel I gain from it and the sound.

·
895 Posts
i want that too, except some A-hole quoted me at 200 for an axle back, and i'm like WTF!!!!????? i can get an aftermarket one for that much money. but some guy recommended a good shop, which i have yet to goto, so i can't say anything right now. any way, mine'll hafta be a 3 incher cause my dp is the hks one

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I lied, I went to go have the muffler shop put on the axle back system and it only cost me $24 :D This was for everything. The system sounds really good, its not too loud when the windows are rolled up and it has a deep rumble to it when you stomp it. I really think that this was a good alternative to getting a axle-back muffler system. Straight Pipe all the way! Did I mention it sounds great.

·
895 Posts
i....hate....you.

:)

hehehe, so anyways, how long did it take the shop to do the install? (only reason i've been waiting on mine is cause i don't have the time to drop my car off or leave it at the shop for a day)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It only took them a whopping 15 min. Oh, I didnt have an appointment.

·
895 Posts
are you kidding me????

how do the pipe bends look like?

::chanting::
post pics, post pics, post pics!!! :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bending was really good, only two small bends as with the OE axle-back. The used the OE was a model and did it from there. But seriously only 15 min. I will try and post pics and sound clips, but pics at first. If you know how to post sounds I will do that, but I have no clue on how to do the sounds only the pictures.

·
895 Posts
um...explain?

sorry, i don't know much about pipes n bending crap, so if you thought i knew what i was talking about, you're mistaken ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No it wasnt crush bending, it was very similar to mandrel, which is OE, but not quite as good as OE, but it wasnt crush. I will post pics so you can see for your self.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crush is where there are little ridges wherever the bends are, but the bends on mine are smooth. The difference between this and mandrel is that madrel stays the same diameter in every bend but the bends I have differ in size (liitle bit smaller) ( but hardly any at all). The only places that really do mandrel bends are Manufactures and very expensive shops.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I got quoted $125 for downpipe back, including pass-though cat, mandrel bent SS pipe, and a Flowmaster....and he even welded on flanges on either side of the pass-through cat, so I can bolt the stock cat back on when I go in for inspection. looks great, sounds great (not too loud, no drone, but growls when I punch the gas), same performance gain as $1100 down-pipe back exhaust. can't beat it with a stick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
blarg,

Did you say remapped ECU for $700? Where did you get that?
From Yoshio?

Anyway, about the muffler, I don't understand why there is such a big difference in price?? The prodrive and SS muffler is like $500. And you can get the same performance with $30 in a local muffler shop???? What is the secret in muffler design that the other vendor and ask for so much?

There must be some reason, right?? I mean there are many MANY people buying muffler from them!!!

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
The secret is that there is no muffler!! Just a piece of pipe. Too loud with aftermarket exhaust, but just right with stock system.

$25 is awful cheap but here's what one of our guys in Colorado got for under $100 ("Bud's Muffler Shop" LOL):

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=111094

If you wanted it a little quieter you could probably put a "cherry bomb" in there for an extra $40-$50 or so. Those are crimp bends but they're such minor bends it really doesn't matter.

As far as performance goes, check the third paragraph of this (somewhat controversial - though controversial as far as what it says not to do, not what it says TO do) article:

http://www.spdusa.com/stock_engine_mods.htm

I'm definitely paying Bud a visit in the next couple of months.

Chris

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've seen 2 different setups for straight pipes. One is a 2.5" crush bent one, with a small tip. It's actually pretty quiet unless you get on it. You can barely hear it at cruise. IIRC, he paid about $100 for it.

I've also heard a 3" mandrel-bent one with a 3.5" tip on it. It's substantially louder, but the tone is all that really changes when you get on it. It's not defening or anything, but it's quite audible at cruise. I think he paid about $65 for parts and labor.

They're both still quieter than some Honda Godzilla Fart-tips I've heard though. No tinny/bumblebee noise on a Suabru. Just rally car sweet. :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
why are they so expensive?

1) they put a brand name on them

2) they're imported from Japan....you're paying for freight, import tariffs, and things generally cost more in Japan anyway, most of the time the US distributor is paying retail in Japan...and if someone is going to go through all that trouble you better believe they're going to mark it up 200% at least.

3) they're "tuned". Japanese mufflers are accoustically designed to sound like just the "right" kind of wet fart in a coffee can.

if you're looking for a noisemaker, the Japanese mufflers do sound better, but if you're just looking for performance, a high low muffler is a high flow muffler....

maybe the REALLY expensive ones are made better and might last you longer, but for the price of ONE expensive muffler you can have 6 or 7 of the cheaper ones...and I've yet to see a car go through that many mufflers.

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Just wondering- were these shops a chain kind of operation, like Meineke, or private shops? One chain store type shop said he wouldn't even talk about making me a custom exhaust, so maybe I should try a private shop?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
private custom exhaust shop...I wouldn't even THINK about taking my car to a chain muffler shop. Just make sure you take it to a good one. Any good shop will have an album full of pictures of their custom installs, so you can have a look at their work. The shop I go to takes Polaroids of all the custom jobs they do. heck, If I show up around lunch time, they're usually grilling carne asada out back and invite me to join them...now THAT'S service :)

·
895 Posts
all the shops ive been to have been jackasses to me :( they're like "whoa, a custom exhaust? that'll void ur warrenty" or "nah, we won't do that, that'll be too loud"

wankers :mad:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
putting an aftermarket exhaust WILL NOT void your warranty. There's a Federal law against that practice. It WILL void the warranty on your exhaust...but that's all. I"d suggest getting out the ol' phone book and calling a few places. Ask them if they do custom exhausts, and how clean their bends are. a good crush bend will work fine since there aren't a lot of really radical bends on the exhaust to begin with. Once you find a shop that's willing to work with you, see if they'll install your OE cat with flanges on either side and make a pass through cat "for off road use, of course...nudge nudge wink wink". That way you can put the cat back in when you have to get the car inspected. Ironically, a properly tuned WRX will pass emissions with no cats...it'll only fail the visual inspection....the cats are just there to take the crap out of your exhaust if there's something wrong with the car...don't even get me started about how that's wrong on so many levels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts