Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to convert a WRX to rear wheel drive only? Can certain parts be taken out without screwing anything up? Also, if it can be done, would it drive ok?
RWD might be fun for burning out!
This is just one of those things I have wondered about.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I believe Cobb Tuning and it's affliates have a differential converter for tuning purposes(on a 2wd dyno) to convert it to RWD.

·
Registered
294 Posts
cshark said:
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to convert a WRX to rear wheel drive only? Can certain parts be taken out without screwing anything up? Also, if it can be done, would it drive ok?
RWD might be fun for burning out!
This is just one of those things I have wondered about.
Thanks
WHY, WHY, WHY?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To schischwein, thank you for the information.

and to thechickencow, I didn't say that I was going to actually do that. sorry for being curious about something, I know am a real idiot for that. I'll try to be more like you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
HAhaha... yea, I believe you can take out or replace on of the diffs... although maybe you could just remove the front CV shafts??? You'd probably have to switch out the center diff as well, because while you're doing your burnout your center diff would be trying to transfer that power to the front and it would basically fry itself.

There were some imprezas that could go from AWD to RWD with a fuse... !!

·
Registered
424 Posts
The STI will have a switch to make it go RWD on-the-fly. Can you say Drag Strip nirvana?

Shiv at Vishnu converts them to 2wd, but I THINK he converts it to a FWD by disabling the center diff. Not sure how hard it would be to go RWD instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
STI----RWD on the fly! Thats awesome! I guess I am not the only crazy one out there? Thanks for all of the good information!

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Cool - at last we're getting something that's US spec only. It's about time people in other parts of the world don't get the good thing we get! Usually the other way around.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Actually, I THINK the STI has had this for awhile, since they use it on their rally car.

I've also seen a Nissan Skyline GT-R in a mag that ran 8's by doing an AWD launch and then enguaging RWD partway down the track for the top end finish. This is the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The sky GTR is RWD most of the time until additional grip is needed to which the front is kicked in. This is done throught a multitude of sensors(which fail occasionally). The STi will not switch to RWD on the fly. First off, not all STis have the electro hydraulic center diff. Secondly, it is plumbed to a sensor connecting the handbrake(lock rears briefly and turns into RWD-off handbrake and engage rears)....this is why it is uses for tight switchbacks(disrupting the rears a lot to pivot the car around). The 22B on the other hand was more road based and had a dial in the console so that you can change the distribution between 50/50(F/R) and 35/65(F/R)....the latter which is obviously more like a RWD(this distribution is also the same as Mercs E4matics and BMs awd 3series).

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think Cobb just pulls a fuse for the rear wheels to test it. Someone please correct me if Im wrong.

BTW, anything is possible, with enough money :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
it is possible to pull a fuse to get FWD, but i'm not sure that its such a good idea for anything more than dyno/diagnostic tests.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts