Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew my center differential today. It's been making bad noises since I did a hard launch and I got a LOT of spin out of the front tires. It got worse and worse until today, when I was backing out of a parking space. It locked up on me...the car stopped suddenly, like I hit something. went forward to see what I hit, and nothing was there, so I backed it up again, and drove straight to the dealer from there. They said they won't cover this one...so far, my tab's up to $350 and all they did was take teh trans out to tell me I need a new "viscous coupling." I asked if that was the center differential. His reply was, "I said viscous coupling." OK, so a hardened gearset won't help me, and a STi conversion is out of the question...I can't even afford the factory Subaru replacement parts! Right about now, I'm wishing I got a FWD or RWD car...I'd rather spin tires than gears and clutches, they're easier to replace. After much researching, I found a Cusco part that looks like it'd be a good replacement. It distributes 35% power to teh front and 65 to the rear (can you say "oversteer" :D ) I'm not sure how it compares to the stock unit as far as power handling goes, but I'm sure it's not as fragile as the stocker. On Cusco's site, it's got a list price of 140,000 yen...about $1,200. That's $300 LESS than Subaru wants for a stock diffy. After replacing that, I'll know if it's time for new gears. I'm going to get a MRT synchro set next. Since I spend almost all I make on car payments and insurance, I don't expect to drive the WRX until 2003. It's a sad day for me.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Whining is unbecoming. Don't launch with an AWD car with high HP and (I hope) sticky tires.

I own my own WRX for a few months and only did one "launch". A little squeak of the tires was all that happend. The drive train absorbed the rest of the shock. Lesson learned.

You fail to appreciate the beauty of this car. That's why we beat Mustangs. They can't get the traction we do.

·
Registered
932 Posts
IMPREZvWRX said:
I did do it...this is the 2nd tranny I've broken....
I'm impressed by your forthright honesty. When I first saw this thread, I expected to see yet another abusive owner whining and moaning about how his WRX didn''t absorb all the abuse put to it with aplomb, and then plot to have Subaru cover the damage under warranty.

Kudos. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
God said:
I can get you a Kaaz center for less than the Cusco and it is adjustable.
How much are we talking here? I'm a lil low on cash right now, but it'd be nice to have a goal to reach.
:)

Wanna work out a payment plan? :D

How's the driveability of the Kaaz?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
russ said:
Don't launch with an AWD car with high HP and (I hope) sticky tires.
The problem here was a loss of traction with the front tires...the difference in speed b/w the front and rear tires broke the center differential...similar to a standard tow truck causing damage to an AWD car.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
It's still a valid comment. High horsepower and AWD puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain. More so if you have sticky tires. I think you already realize that any machine has to be operated within it's limits.

I've always been surprised that people think the WRX is a dragster. That's just not what it was designed for. But then I'm always surprised that people think a Civic is a dragster. If you want a dragster, get RWD and old-school V8 iron.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I gotcha...I just feel that the center diffy shouldn't be so fragile. Even when I'm not hard on the car, I get wheelspin in the rain. As soon as I get into boost, the back end breaks loose. My boss had a Typhoon, and the front wheels were driven by chain...the speed difference caused by wheelspin just stretched the chain. After going through 3 or 4 chains, he fixed the problem by removing the chain, and keeping the truck RWD...simple. I just wish it was that easy on the WRX.

·
1,911 Posts
IMPREZvWRX said:

How much are we talking here? I'm a lil low on cash right now, but it'd be nice to have a goal to reach.
:)

Wanna work out a payment plan? :D

How's the driveability of the Kaaz?
Drivability is pretty decent. If you want something milder just set it to 70% locking instead of 100%. Should be good for center. As for price you'l have to e-mail me. A tad less than the Cusco.

·
Registered
80 Posts
GV27 said:
It's still a valid comment. High horsepower and AWD puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain. More so if you have sticky tires. I think you already realize that any machine has to be operated within it's limits.

I have made some minor mods to my WRX- also got a new set of wheels and tires which I believe to be more sticky than stock. What are the limitations of the WRX drivetrain? Anything I should be aware of before I start launching my WRX hard from a dead stop? Launch at 3000 or 4000 rpm? Slip the clutch or just dump it???:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
IMPREZvWRX said:
Yeah, I gotcha...I just feel that the center diffy shouldn't be so fragile. Even when I'm not hard on the car, I get wheelspin in the rain. As soon as I get into boost, the back end breaks loose. My boss had a Typhoon, and the front wheels were driven by chain...the speed difference caused by wheelspin just stretched the chain. After going through 3 or 4 chains, he fixed the problem by removing the chain, and keeping the truck RWD...simple. I just wish it was that easy on the WRX.
Trade it for a 2wd car. Simple as that. If you don't like AWD, a Subaru just ain't the right car to have. If you don't like wheelspin, you just need a car with less power.

One end or the other is going to slip. Personally I'd rather have the rear break loose before the front.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GV27 said:

Trade it for a 2wd car. Simple as that. If you don't like AWD, a Subaru just ain't the right car to have. If you don't like wheelspin, you just need a car with less power.

One end or the other is going to slip. Personally I'd rather have the rear break loose before the front.
I wish it was that easy. When I was looking for a car, I had to decide between a 96 Supra or the WRX. Since I couldn't afford the insurance on the Supra, that was teh decision-maker for me. Besides, if I get rid of the WRX now, I'd lose a ton of money.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Sounds like you're losing a lot of money buying new trannys. Don't know what to tell ya.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts