ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
tranny and or clutch...depends on how you launch. if you slip the clutch, then you'll wear out your clutch. if you drop the clutch, your going to eventually hurt your tranny.

·
Registered
907 Posts
the 2 weakest links in the WRX on a launch seems like the Clutch (cheapest), and the Gearset....mostly 1st and 2nd (very expensive). the stock wrx uses a narrow gear set with not very deep teeth profiles...so when putting alot of power through the box the torque can sheer off teeth....now it takes Some Serious abuse or a lemon to do this in stock form, but when adding more HP it becomes a serious issue.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
don't forget rear dif and axles.. i've seen both of those blown up when you get that wheel hopp off the line... basically if your going to play be willing to pay :).. I did the clutch and 6 speed swap for a reason.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
MustGoFast said:
don't forget rear dif and axles.. i've seen both of those blown up when you get that wheel hopp off the line... basically if your going to play be willing to pay :).. I did the clutch and 6 speed swap for a reason.
If you're going to dish out the 6k + bucks to do the tranny swap why not just put that and your wrx as a down payment on an STi? Never have understood that concept.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
theoretically you can break your tranny on the first launch. Just remember to slip the clutch.. You can't dump it like a 2wd car. Clutches are cheaper and easier to replace than trannies.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
unless of course you spent about half that on your sti tranny.. and you enjoy working on your car.. and you bought your wrx before they had any intention of bringing an STI to the states so by the time they did you'd just have to eat another huge loss in initial depreciation as well as higher insurance... I'm pretty happy w/ the route I went.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Absolutely right MUST GO FAST. I was only able to get a standard wrx. One day i might have to do a tranny swap. Same price as STi all together but the time difference is key.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts