Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, to start off I'd like to thank Nate (wrxnate) for helping me install my springs. I've been itching to have them done for a while and everything went very smoothly.
He also helped me remount my APEX boost control unit so it wouldn't make that clicking sound under boost. And lastly he helped me tune it some as well. So, on my drive home everything was going smoothly.... I did spike once in 4th so i turned the boost down. Then a bit later my boost was spiking in every gear.... Like to 1.3-1.4 and i wasn't hittiing fuel cut either. Fuel cut is at 17 PSI which converts to just under 1.2 kg/cm^2 (1.195)
It even boosts that high when i disconect it or turn it off. I checked all my hoses and everything looks good. Heres some pics too. The only thing i could think of is that the remount spot was causing something to go wrong.
FYI- I have a Greddy cat back, CAI, the AVC-R, the S-AFC, and a Blitz BOV performance wise.
If you have any ideas feel free to share.... Thanks guys.
Cameron

·
Registered
745 Posts
everything looks right...... I just do not understand why everything was working fine till you got half way home :confused: I have had multiple AVC-R s in that same location without any problem......

you remember that filter you pointed too? check the fittings on that and trace the hose from that to the intake manifold, that could be another promlem causer.

Anybody live in boulder that can go look? Harvey?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I went out to triple check the tubes... no kinking or anything. I drove it and its still doing the same thing. It's like its building so much boost for no reason. If only i could make it build the boost that fast normally..... :) I really have no idea... the only thing that i can imagine to try is removing the neg terminal on the batt and clear the ECU or something like that. not likely that that's the problem though.

·
2,210 Posts
The fuel cut is dynamic on the WRX. It is not fixed at 17psi. The exact manifold pressure that triggers fuel cut will depend upon ambient barometric pressure. I've seen as low as 15psi, and as high as 18-19psi, depending upon elevation. So, don't sweat the fact that you're not throwing a safety cut.

As for the spiking. Is it really spiking, or are you just seeing more boost than usual? Spiking happens when the controller briefly misses the target (too much gain) before resuming your intended boost level.

-Pace

·
Registered
745 Posts
I just have no idea why even when unplugged you see high boost????

try the ECU reset and set the EBC to OFF, it is just very odd that it worked when you left!

I am available Weds-Sunday to look (have to work monday and tuesday).

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well i tried the ECU reset... Didn"t work. Gave up for the night. Took girlfriend to work this morning. Checked again.... TADAAAA!!! Hoses were all connected. There were no holes in any hoses.... But there was a hole burnt in the connecter between the hoses... that was hidden right under the zip tie....
it happened when we relocated the boost controller hoses and that explains why the problem didn't occur until later on in my drive home. I'll just go buy the little connecter thingys and some more zip ties and hopefully that should cure the problem.....
Thanks...... :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
That same kind of thing happened to me, but I got into limp mode. It was a lot of fun for about 10 secs. Then the cars new rev limiter was at 4000.
MCL

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, i was like... "holy moley!! i'm building boost like crazy..." but yeah... i got the part replaced and zip tied everything miles away from anything metal. so everything is running perfectly now. i did forget to plug it back in after I put the new part in and i was like F!!!! Now i'm only running 7lbs... but then i figured that out quick.... Thanks again Nate...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts