Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I honestly have no idea where this question would go...it's more of a legal thing. I think I'm the right place.

I ordered a 2016 WRX with the Sport Package, and the car came with OEM wheels (which they promptly replaced with the STI alloys). I wanted to keep the OEM wheels as a winter set, but the dealership says they are required by Subaru to ship them back? Is this true? Then the dealer called me back and said they would sell them to me for $600, which means they aren't legally REQUIRED to do anything with them?? I just want to know what the policy is on this. It doesn't seem like there is one. Are those extra OEM rims mine or not?

Thanks in advance guys!

P.S. I'm not blaming them for anything yet - I really have had an amazing experience there with ordering and taking delivery of the car thus far.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
I'm very confused by this? You bought the car and separately bought the sti wheels? Or you bought the car and it was supposed to have the sti wheels?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I ordered the sport package which means I ordered the car with the STI wheels. the dealership took delivery of the STI wheels separately, and they installed them on the car when it got to the lot. the OEM wheels have been sitting in their garage (because I told them I would buy them), but the question is about ownership: who do the OEM wheels belong to, the factory, the dealership, or me?

· Registered
3,060 Posts
They are the Dealerships. When I ordered my car in April of 2014, I also went with the sport package. Out of the five dealerships I was negotiating with, none of them were familiar with the package, there was no msrp/invoice, package code or otherwise. Info slowly leaked out... Anyway, long story short, part of my negotiations was to keep both sets. When I took delivery, my sales guy stated that I would be the only one at their dealership that was allowed to keep them. So, if you would have negotiated it, perhaps?

From cars 101:

3/21/14 WRX Sport Package - STI 17" black alloy wheels (shipped to dealer and installed), STI performance exhaust, short throw shifter, leather and aluminum shift knob.
$3411 - $533 pkg discount = $2878. Available on WRX manuals only
Note: this package has limited availability. The upgraded black alloy wheels are shipped to and installed by the selling dealer, and the buyer does not get the original take-off wheels.

· Registered
524 Posts
I would argue that you paid for the stock wheels with the price of the car and the STi wheels in the price of the sport package. That argument is thin though as the package replaces the stock parts.

If you ordered the STi wheels separate from any package then both wheels would be yours no questions asked IMHO.

· Registered
3,060 Posts
I would argue that you paid for the stock wheels with the price of the car and the STi wheels in the price of the sport package. .
That was my arguement a year ago. They caught on quick.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
When you choose a wheel package it "replaces" existing wheel packages. Some dealerships can provide build sheets and they will have standard options and the optional parts will say replaces so and so parts.

· Premium Member
18,393 Posts
I would argue that you paid for the stock wheels with the price of the car and the STi wheels in the price of the sport package. That argument is thin though as the package replaces the stock parts.

If you ordered the STi wheels separate from any package then both wheels would be yours no questions asked IMHO.
Unless the "package price" was/is actually based on them keeping the OEM wheels to begin with. Just like you likely don't get to keep the OEM exhaust parts, shift knob, etc. either.

· Registered
77 Posts
You paid for the Sport package which comes with the STI wheels and replaces the WRX OEMs. That means you ONLY get the STI wheels. And just like TheJ says, if that was the case, everyone who got upgrades would've received their stock pieces too; so where's my WRX exhaust system?!?!!? LOL, jk.

As for the dealer calling you with an offer. Now that's just plain shady. If they are doing that, that means they probably werent planning on sending back to the factory and just keeping the wheels as "inventory". Thats my guess. Sorry man but that wouldve been and awesome deal if you negotiated it.

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
My car came with the SPT exhaust... I didn't get to keep the stock exhaust. That's just how things work. I also don't get my "stock" head unit, since I got NAV, my "Stock" shifter, since I got the short throw, or anything else. I don't think you should expect the wheels.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are the Dealerships. When I ordered my car in April of 2014, I also went with the sport package. Out of the five dealerships I was negotiating with, none of them were familiar with the package, there was no msrp/invoice, package code or otherwise. Info slowly leaked out... Anyway, long story short, part of my negotiations was to keep both sets. When I took delivery, my sales guy stated that I would be the only one at their dealership that was allowed to keep them. So, if you would have negotiated it, perhaps?

From cars 101:

3/21/14 WRX Sport Package - STI 17" black alloy wheels (shipped to dealer and installed), STI performance exhaust, short throw shifter, leather and aluminum shift knob.
$3411 - $533 pkg discount = $2878. Available on WRX manuals only
Note: this package has limited availability. The upgraded black alloy wheels are shipped to and installed by the selling dealer, and the buyer does not get the original take-off wheels.
Thanks alot this clears things up!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My car came with the SPT exhaust... I didn't get to keep the stock exhaust. That's just how things work. I also don't get my "stock" head unit, since I got NAV, my "Stock" shifter, since I got the short throw, or anything else. I don't think you should expect the wheels.
I guess I shouldn't expect the wheels, even though it's not quite the same ;) the car didn't arrive at your dealer equipped with the stock exhaust, HU, or shifter. I suppose the logic is similar though.

Thanks again all. I guess I'll suck it up and purchase them haha

· Registered
3,060 Posts
If you are going to move forward and purchase them, it would not hurt to try and negotiate that they come with TPMS.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

This was my exact train of thought too, haha

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
I guess I shouldn't expect the wheels, even though it's not quite the same ;) the car didn't arrive at your dealer equipped with the stock exhaust, HU, or shifter. I suppose the logic is similar though.

Actually, it did arrive with the stock exhaust and shifter. Those are dealer installed.

· Registered
2,100 Posts
the dealer tossed the oem shifter linkage, fog light blanks and blinker stalk in my trunk. Wheels and exhaust would probably have been a different story tho

· Registered
3,060 Posts
Actually, it did arrive with the stock exhaust and shifter. Those are dealer installed.
Chad, mine were port installed as well, except the wheels. Probably because it was ordered? Funny thing, in their pre-release marketing, one of the photos was a shot with the rear seats folded down and the wheels layed out, probably to show storage capacity. Early on, I figured that would be the way they would deliver my car to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.