ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove a Turbo Baja with a stick and it was fun. Drove an Automatic with a manual shift feature and it was pretty nice as well... Sort of like the ultimate combination.

What I would like to know is your opinion, facts on its longevity, problems, and performance as opposed to the 5 speed.

Thanks!

pete

·
Registered
264 Posts
Drove a Turbo Baja with a stick and it was fun. Drove an Automatic with a manual shift feature and it was pretty nice as well... Sort of like the ultimate combination.

What I would like to know is your opinion, facts on its longevity, problems, and performance as opposed to the 5 speed.

Thanks!

pete
If it has a torque converter.. it sucks!!! All those manumatics suck, whether, Subie, Porsche, or watever. The ONLY even HALF decent ones are from Ferrari, and Maserati. VW's DSG and BMW's SMG are almost up with those, but still... If I had to be in stop n go traffic alot I would just by a beater slushbox to commute with..

·
Registered
92 Posts
my brothers m3 has trip tonic shifting, its so fudging sexy, wish my WRX had a limited edition where it was trip tonic.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Personaly I would only get an autostick with some type of luxury car.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
If it has a torque converter.. it sucks!!! All those manumatics suck, whether, Subie, Porsche, or watever. The ONLY even HALF decent ones are from Ferrari, and Maserati. VW's DSG and BMW's SMG are almost up with those, but still... If I had to be in stop n go traffic alot I would just by a beater slushbox to commute with..
+1

Most automatic transmissions have a torque converter - these cost power. While the automatic can shift "better" than a manual - it's limited by the ratio's available.

DSG, SSG - and other computer controlled clutch-less manual transmissions - are godlike in shift times, but take all the fun out of rowing through the gears manually.

For Daily Driving:
Driveability Auto > DSG > Manual
Accelleration DSG > Manual > Auto

Automatics can be built up for drag use, but a stock auto is not coming that way from the factory.

www.levelten.com and www.lentechautomatics.com are two companies who will help you build up an automatic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, thats fine, but what about the Subies auto stick.. it seems to be pretty quick with good ratios and the manual control SEEMED to work ok.. what about long term?

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Meh, I've stated my opinion about this here many times; I prefer a true manual, just because it's more fun.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
The only way I would ever go the route of an auto-manual transmission would be if I had to deal with heavy urban traffic such as NYC, LA, Atlanta, etc. often (even then, I would probably try a conventional manual first). Other than that, the limited stop-go traffic I deal with is well worth the enjoyment I get out of it on an every day basis.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, your right about its all about where you are..

I drove the auto again today and this time, I took it out pretty hard, though hills and twisties, shifting it manually and it pretty much rocked!

Now I am 41 years young.. I have driven manual almost exclusively since I was 18.. I also have a kid. I am also blond:rotfl::confused::p and I live in San Jose, do alot of in town driving stop and go, pick up drop off etc... I also get up way early and many many times come home late, tired from 12 hours in the ER.

I found that manuals are great fun for sure and are needed mostly with small lesser powered engines that need to maximize every bit of power that they have.

The Turbo Baja has way enough power for the automatic.. Heck, I didn't notice ANY slush bucket feeling.

The stick is nice as well and way fast enough. Funny thing is that when you go to sell it, NO one wants a stick.. nobody.. Now honestly, I think I may have found the first everyday driving car that I can look myself in the mirror and say.. WOW, I have no intention of ever selling this car..

By the way, I spoke with Mike at Santa Cruz Subaru.. Gals and Guys, you should ALL go there and give them your business.. hecka nice people, no BS no hard sell and both service people spoke with me on the phone for at least 15-20 minutes.

He said that the Automatic was very reliable and he hasn't seen many problems. The key of course is to keep up in the fluid and filter changes.

he did say that the manual would last longer and cost less to rebuild if and when it needs it. And for him, it was more fun.

Sigh....never a clear choice is it?

The stick I am looking at is light grey with dark grey cladding. Meh.. an OK color.. certainly not as polarizing as the SOnic YEllow

But the auto I have my eyes on is White with light grey cladding and that my friends is da bomb color combination to me.. Always loved white and grey together.

I truly was impressed at the responsiveness in the Automatic..

V

·
0 Posts
I really don't care. I've driven manual ALL my life since I was 14. Stop and go or in any other situation it is manual for me. Work out your legs, and you'll never get tired shifting in traffic :)

We might not get manual cars in the future, the way things are going...

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Super_Sonic_Man said:
The Turbo Baja has way enough power for the automatic.. Heck, I didn't notice ANY slush bucket feeling.

The stick is nice as well and way fast enough. Funny thing is that when you go to sell it, NO one wants a stick.. nobody..
Almost everyone I see driving a Baja is around retirement age or older. This is true for my area, so this could be the cause of why it's so hard to sell a manual Baja :)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Yep, your right about its all about where you are..

Now I am 41 years young.. I have driven manual almost exclusively since I was 18.. I also have a kid.
I'm also 41, two kids, and I do see stop-and-go traffic here and there, though it is not up to LA proportions, of course. I'll still want a manual for many years to come. In traffic, it doesn't really bother me; there's no thought going on, my clutch leg and right leg pretty much do the work in automatic mode.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Almost everyone I see driving a Baja is around retirement age or older. This is true for my area, so this could be the cause of why it's so hard to sell a manual Baja :)
:whoa::whoa::bs:

Oh I am WOUNDED!!!:rotfl:

I am not old and being retirement age CAN be a good thing.. it means doing what YOU want to do and not what society tells you to. It means not having to be beat to a pulp mentally and physically.. My friend who is also 41 ( and also an ER nurse like myself for 8 years) is discovering that he loves having an automatic.. he can talk on the phone, sip his latte and when his kid gets old enough, he can reach back and smack him one a lot easier!:rotfl::baaa:

·
Registered
243 Posts
haha, the smacking of the kids is important lol. For me, I couldnt see myself driving a sporty car with an automatic...I would feel disconnected kind of. I've got an older jeep that is an automatic, and sometimes it is really nice just relaxing and not having to shift or anything, but I feel somewhat limited when I'm off road in it. I guess for me, I'm still young and wanna shift gears ha

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Super_Sonic_Man said:
:whoa::whoa::bs:

Oh I am WOUNDED!!!:rotfl:

I am not old and being retirement age CAN be a good thing.. it means doing what YOU want to do and not what society tells you to. It means not having to be beat to a pulp mentally and physically.. My friend who is also 41 ( and also an ER nurse like myself for 8 years) is discovering that he loves having an automatic.. he can talk on the phone, sip his latte and when his kid gets old enough, he can reach back and smack him one a lot easier!:rotfl::baaa:
Seriously - the only younger person I know who has a Baja is 22, and has a 5-speed turbo model. Other than that, I used to see the older people pull into church and the grocery store in the Baja. It's weird the huge gap where no 30s-40s drivers own them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh don't get me wrong, I LIKE shifting but for different reasons I guess.. to me its all about the control and while I know that the automatic won't let you shift at certain times, I found that its a good thing and most of the times its just fine. I like not having a clutch to worry about, and when I feel like it, I can shift and when I feel like crap, I can simply put it in auto and away we go.

The Baja has plenty of power so I don't really feel like Im losing with the auto.

NOW, if you talk about my Ford Ranger, :baaa: that drives around town just fine but get it to downshift when you need to?? Forget it! it ain't gonna happen.

I drove the auto Subie through lots of hills and curves and hills with curves, up and down and I was impressed. I was able to keep it in whatever gear I wanted, engine brake, downshift for more giddyup..

Now not all are like the Subie... Im not one for paddle shifting... I still like the stick on the floor.. My biggest issue with regular automatics has always been their shift pattern and how they shift when I DON'T want them to and usually at the worst moment. With the manual/auto I gain most of that control back.

then again I could be talking myself into it..:screwy:

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
In traffic, it doesn't really bother me; there's no thought going on, my clutch leg and right leg pretty much do the work in automatic mode.
Same here even when im tired i hardly notice it.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
With the manual/auto I gain most of that control back.

then again I could be talking myself into it..:screwy:
I think your talking yourself into it.

there is an allusion of control with a manumatic but its just not real.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts