ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been thinking about this for a while now...

The new Saab-arus and the 2005 model Scoobies are available with an automatic climate control center. My question is - can this be retrofitted into an earlier year scooby? The controls look roughly about in the same position, although the center dial is slightly lower on our models. If it's just the interior console, then it should in theory be a plug and play retrofit, right? (Anybody have any idea how much this thing costs in the '05 models?) It seems like the only thing you'd have to worry about is the exterior faceplate covering, which with a little dremel work, could be made to fit. But you'd probably have to take both and compare them side by side.

Just a thought... although I think it would be pretty cool to be able to have an automatic climate control. Then again the manual systems we have may have a few too many rods and pullies in there...

This is what I'm talking about - 05 model:

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
from what ive gathered its not actually "automatic" CC...theyve just redesigned the knobbage. if thats the case i would think its plug and play...

good question though. that 05 is way sharper.

edit: and on second look one major problem would be the recirc lever. electric on 05, manual on 02-03

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
from what ive gathered its not actually "automatic" CC...theyve just redesigned the knobbage.
Yeah, but look at the far right knob - there's a temperature selector there. There's also no longer a "fan speed selector knob." I test drove the new Legacy Outback with the automatic climate control and it seemed like it really was automatic...<shrug>

I took a look at the 2005 2.5 RS on Subaru's website and it looks like they also have the old manual climate control/heater controls that we do...

-C

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I thought this would be a sweet idea, so I did some reasearch on Nabisco. The mechanical functions in the 02-04 is not compatible with the elctronic functions of the 04 STi or 05+ WRX. You wouldneed to chanage out the whole dash, that would be the easiest way. No plug and play.

·
Registered
677 Posts
What about switching the knobs to the ones in the 04s. I think I've seen pics of STis with the 3 knobs in a V instead of in a row:

O O
O

something kinda like that. I saw it in a pic and it looked much sharper than the three in a row.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I thought this would be a sweet idea, so I did some reasearch on Nabisco. The mechanical functions in the 02-04 is not compatible with the elctronic functions of the 04 STi or 05+ WRX. You wouldneed to chanage out the whole dash, that would be the easiest way. No plug and play.
Oh well. It was a nice idea... Yeah, I just heard too that the 04 STi had auto climate control... Still, I wonder just how many parts have to be changed out...

Anybody have a pic of the 04 STi climate controls (preferably without the face cover??)

-C:rolleyes:

·
Registered
677 Posts
yeah, it seems like it would be easy to swap it out if it is mechanical just like the 02/03. I had my stereo out yesterday to put a new one in and the whole AC unit was just this big piece that you could unclip. I'd imagine you could just get that new panel and the new faceplace and be done with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts