Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the 0-60 times for the two transmissions? Is the auto that comes with the WRX a dog?

Ppower

·
Registered
116 Posts
big difference

I raced my friends auto, and i killed him by about 5 cars atleast, by the time i hit 90. Its a bigger difference than most people realize. An automic Rex (stock) will get smocked by a GT rustang. Unless you put a uppipe and downpipe and MBC on an auto, it just isnt very quick, its rather dissapointing if you ask me.

-Bobby D

·
Registered
19 Posts
my auto times

(all done with 3000 rpm brake torque and stock torque convertor at sea level and 91 octane CA gas at a 1/4 tank, on cool nights. I got these times by using the AC-22 performance meter which is like a g-tech but more accurate and has more features)

bone stock my auto wrx went 0 - 60 in 7.1

w/ mbc, k & n, and turboback 0 - 60 in 6.7

turboXS stg 2 w/up-pipe, samco hoses, wrxnfx intake, and mbc set at 16psi my times are 0 - 60 in 5.6

AL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: my auto times

bayWRX said:
(all done with 3000 rpm brake torque and stock torque convertor at sea level and 91 octane CA gas at a 1/4 tank, on cool nights. I got these times by using the AC-22 performance meter which is like a g-tech but more accurate and has more features)

bone stock my auto wrx went 0 - 60 in 7.1

w/ mbc, k & n, and turboback 0 - 60 in 6.7

turboXS stg 2 w/up-pipe, samco hoses, wrxnfx intake, and mbc set at 16psi my times are 0 - 60 in 5.6

AL
So, with stg 2 and parts yours will do the same 0-60 as a manual.

Ppower

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ppower,

No with JUST stage2 I would not get a 5.6 0-60. Stage 2 + up-pipe, samco hoses, and MBC @ 16psi would get you my kinda times.. actually I forgot to add my lightened pullies to my list before, but I have those too. Though 0 - 60 is similar to manual times, on a roll I am much faster than a stock manual. I know I've raced a few on the highway and pulled easily on them every single time.

Dont forget I have to brake torque to 3000 rpm and that takes way longer than a manual can rev to 3000 rpm at a stoplight. Also it's very difficult to brake torque to 3000 at a stoplight street race. You basically have to start whenever you see the other crosslight turns yellow. With a manual I can just keep the revs up and go when it's green. If I do that with my auto I'd fry my tranny.

I think, however, for us auto owners launching at 3000rpm would be better than a manual launching at the same rpm since we can build boost, in my case around 14psi with MBC. You CANNOT build that much boost if you DIDN't have a mbc along with your auto setup even IF you have a unichip. With the abc provided by turboxs I was only able to get like 5psi at that rpm. If I had to pick the most important things for an auto besides a torque convertor is an up-pipe and mbc combo. Up-pipe to lower spool and mbc to get you those crazy high boostlevels on brake torque for the powerful launches. :cool:

AL

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Interesting - I'm new to this forum, I've been spending my time over at I-CLub. Obviously most people have manual trannys around here! In the I-club, these topics always attract A LOT of auto people who swear that the auto is far superior to the manual for drag, rally, road racing, and just about anything else you can think of! Yeah Right! Autos definitely have there up sides (you can talk on the cell phone and chow a burger at the same time while driving), but come on! You do get more consistant launches on the strip with an auto (0 skill required), but that's about it when it comes to racing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
A high-stall torque converter and tranny cooler are a MUST HAVE to make an automatic WRX compare to the manual in acceleration.

-Jim
I just got a quote from Protorque.The converter they suggested was the PTC-SUWRXSS(go figure).Is this the best setup vendorwise?If anyone has done this mod,has there been any problems,issues,etc?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got an auto. Yes, it is not a drag setup and can be embarrasing from a stoplight with the ac on and a hot day.

To get the same perf as a manual you MUST spend $ for the TC rework and a cooler. After spending $1000 for the privilege of not shifting you have to spend another $1000 to get it ready to race. On the other hand, you won't have to worry about crunching 1st gear (like one down here in El Paso with a 5k rpm clutch dump) or replacing clutches on a regular basis.

I got an auto for reasons other than performance. I have outrun a GT Mustang, but, I think he was either an auto or had a problem shifting. And, no, I don't visit drag races. On a good twisty road I can keep up with a manual car. Yes, I do manually shift the thing when I run hard.

Pick your poison and be happy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
A high-stall torque converter and tranny cooler are a MUST HAVE to make an automatic WRX compare to the manual in acceleration.

-Jim
Yes a high stall torque converter allows you get into the power band faster. However, an automatic isn't able to put the power to the wheels like the manuals can (transmission losses). Even with a high stall TC, you have the trans losses and will be slower than the manuals.

There are lots of ways to accomplish better acceleration with a manual. All of them cost money! EM, Turbo, injectors, FP, TBE, UP, trans mods, fuel mods, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
high stall tc pt 2

eatwrx said:
Yes a high stall torque converter allows you get into the power band faster. However, an automatic isn't able to put the power to the wheels like the manuals can (transmission losses). Even with a high stall TC, you have the trans losses and will be slower than the manuals.

There are lots of ways to accomplish better acceleration with a manual. All of them cost money! EM, Turbo, injectors, FP, TBE, UP, trans mods, fuel mods, etc.
Thanks for the comments!
a valve body from levelten and I guess that would be a perfect mod after the tc considering that I'm paying somebody to drop the tranny anyways so I might as well do it at the same time and get some synthetic oil in there....all this for about 2 grand I imagine, I'm almost gonna go swap the tranny for a 5speed.
What do you guys think?
how bout a brake launch eatwrx? considering I'll have a cooler and synthetic oil.. maybe a tranny gauge?
Would brakes be more cheaper than replacing clutches? flywheels etc.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think that a stick is much more fun on a straight race, twisties and gravel. Not to mention that you have a lot more control in a stick in teh snow and everywhere else. Not to mention it is only a 4eat. I think that a stick is better but it is only one opinion

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not that there is anything worng with AT's but I bought an Eclipse Turbo with an AT and almost immediately regretted it. I guess it's just a personal decision. Besides being sooo much slower than the MT it just wasnt as much fun to drive in the twisties in East TN.
So, this time when it came time to buy a car I went with the MT WRX and I love it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I highly recommend a Protorque Converter. I have one and have pulled from many cars from a stop (S2000,2000 Corvette, Rsx's, manual Wrx's, Srt-4's, and more). Torque converter with tranny cooler should be your first mod. Remember the torque converter only helps you from a stop. Next mods I would recommend is a uppipe, downpipe, catback, and some form of engine management (Ecutek, Utec, Cobb, Unichip, Vishnu, etc...) So far I have ran a 13.8 at the track with my 2002 Wrx auto (protorque converter, tranny cooler, uppipe, downpipe, Cobb Accessport. I think with my catback I should run even quicker. Hoping for a 13.7 at the track. One thing about the auto I dislike is the long 4 gears. I wish we would have a 5 speed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts