ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My WRX has an AT (I know, but it was the deal I had to make with my wife). After reading the manual I'm a little confused about its behavior, and I'm too scared to try it on my own.

It indicates that the AT has some intelligence due to its electronic control. My interpretation of the manual is that the AT won't let you exceed redline if you've selected too low a gear. So if I move the shifter from 3 to 2, and the speed would cause 2nd gear to over-rev, the tranny will shift itself back up to 3. And if I've got 1 selected and rev too high, it'll shift up to 2 despite my gear selection.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
I don't have an auto Rex, but all autos behave that way. They usually won't upshift, just let you bounce off the rev-limiter, but will not downshift at too high a speed. Remember that you're controlling the tranny indirectly. The computer is really in control.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an auto (same kind of deal with wife) and it will not downshift if you are at too high a speed (like other autos). For example, if you are driving 80mph and downshift to 3rd, it will shift to 3rd. If you select 2nd, it just won't shift until you slow down below 60mph. It won't go into first until you are below 20mph.

BTW, when you select the lower gear it is easier on the engine and transmission to apply some throttle just before the shift.

I have not hit the rev limiter when a gear was selected. I have had the revs spike to about 7200 rpm before I remembered to shift up so I am not sure where the rev limiter will kick in (if ever?).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts