ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...

I've been scouting a new car for myself for a couple of months now... I'm going to be commuting to school, so I need decent gas mileage, I love cars, and I didn't have a definite choice. That is, until I remembered the all wheel drive Subaru Impreza WRX. I want one really bad, but I need one question answered first... Automatic or Stick Shift?

Now, I realize that most of you are probably the highway tearing, ripping-through-the-gears manual junkies. But, I've never driven a manual except for my dirt bike. So, I want to know what you all think about driving the manual, how easy it is to learn, and how you manage in certain conditions (traffic, snow, icy roads, etc), and anything else you have to say about driving one. Or, if you would recommend the automatic and why. Thanks a lot, peace out.

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
Manual. It's better and you'll kick yourself if you don't get one. You can learn it. That is all. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Learn how to drive stick on one of your friends cars and see how you like it because learning how to drive stick on your brand new subie will not be pleasing. I have been driving a stick for about three years and i still find it hard sometimes to drive my car smoothly. Not to stear you away from buying a manual because it is a crap load of fun once you learn how. ;)

·
Registered
0 Posts
for any kind of driving enthusiasm, i would only recommend a manual. but if you are going to sit in bumper to bumper all day everyday, then i dare say get an automatic. actually, if you're going to be commuting alot, be awaure that the wrx's gas mileage SUCKS.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Get an auto, it's easier and you most likely won't have the same tranny problems that plague the manual wrx owners. Just be sure to get a downpipe and and uppipe, the auto is a little slower than the manual.

Good luck,

alex g.

·
Registered
285 Posts
majority of clubwrx members have a manual rex so obviously theyre answers will be biased but it doesnt matter which one you choose im positive youll like it.... btw auto wrx can be just as fast as manuals just takes a bit more money (torque converter) o yea like someone mentioned earlier wrx has horrible mpg :unhappy:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had an auto a4 and i regreted every minute that it was an auto. I just got an 05 wrx stick and i love it but if you are in bumper to bumper and don't have the place to open it up get a auto. I live in Montana so i have a lot of places to open it up. And Beware first gear on a stick is really short and gas mpg suck. :wiggles:

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I can't imagine how boring auto-x would be w/ an auto.

My mileage isn't that bad, 20-22 city 30 hwy. 4EAT get worse mileage, which is another advantage.... but that depends on your driving habit.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree Chunks auto-x would be hell i have expirenced it with my old a4. It was not very much fun and had a slow time. But for everyday in town driving if that's all you are going to be doing then an auto may not be such a bad idea. :eek3:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
i learned to drive stick in 30mins...its not to hard all you have to do is balance the clutch and gas...i 1st learned how to drive on my moms volvo and i hated every second of it...you dont get the control you have with a manual tranny...whenever i get in my moms car or dads truck i always go to push the clutch in like its my own car...automatic just seems so boring and tends to make me more tired just because im sittin there moving 1 foot
so id have 2 say 5spd

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
if learning to drive stick is your only problem than get the manual... Learning stick is easy and will just take a few days of practice to get it down.

a few things that I want to included though:

1) Manual tranny is much more fun. It creates a much better driving experience.

2) the Manual tranny on the WRX sucks as far as tranny "feel" goes and is the worst car I have ever driven in traffic

3) Manual tranny has much more problems

4) WRX mpg sucks, so if gas is an issued and you commute car you might want to consider another car.

5) pretty much, manual is good for being an auto enthusiest, but the wrx manual tranny sucks so its a give and take situation.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Get the manuel. There is not better sound then downshifting going into a corner IMHO

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
DTR rex said:
if learning to drive stick is your only problem than get the manual... Learning stick is easy and will just take a few days of practice to get it down.

a few things that I want to included though:

1) Manual tranny is much more fun. It creates a much better driving experience.

2) the Manual tranny on the WRX sucks as far as tranny "feel" goes and is the worst car I have ever driven in traffic

3) Manual tranny has much more problems

4) WRX mpg sucks, so if gas is an issued and you commute car you might want to consider another car.

5) pretty much, manual is good for being an auto enthusiest, but the wrx manual tranny sucks so its a give and take situation.

i slightly dissagree with you on #2, i think WRX has very precise trannies, and i've driven tons of sticks. You can actually feel it going in, it's tough, sure but i think it's precise.

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
rallymaniac said:
i've driven tons of sticks. You can actually feel it going in, it's tough, sure but i think it's precise.
:rotfl:

Someone sig this now.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
stick , stick , stick, you wont look back

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
rallymaniac said:
i slightly dissagree with you on #2, i think WRX has very precise trannies, and i've driven tons of sticks. You can actually feel it going in, it's tough, sure but i think it's precise.
I will agree that theres not doubt about which gear your in, and the fact that you have engaged a gear... but the clutch is jerky and the grab point is way overagressive, and the shifter feels like your going through rocks... (in my 02' atleast). 04+ does feel a bit better.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
120 Posts
omg! dude i dont mind my manual wrx in the traffic or anything. the other day i had to drive a kia from downtown LA to hollywood and i went crazy in traffic, this things clutch was like 4 feet in, i though i was touching the front bumper everytime i shifted...... also my dad's old b2200 mazda truck sucked balls..... now when i drive another stick i miss my wrx!

DUDE GET THE MANUAL, i drove the wrx loaner they gave me while my wrx was being fixed at dealership and honestly it sucked, the turbo lag was killing me cause iwth manual theres ways to get around it, and also u just cant control the car like u should be..... it's like your in control of the car, manual cars have to obey your every command, not autos!

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Spinin4 said:
Learn how to drive stick on one of your friends cars and see how you like it because learning how to drive stick on your brand new subie will not be pleasing. I have been driving a stick for about three years and i still find it hard sometimes to drive my car smoothly.)
I hear this kind of thing here periodically, and it just makes me smile. I first learned stick on an ancient Fiat wagon, but truly didn't master it 'til I was driving a '70 VW Bug with a worn out 2nd gear synchro. I learned to drive that car smoothly as a teenager; a WRX transmission is cake. :)

I vote manual, for the complete driving experience.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
I love the feel of the WRX trans. I like the fast clutch engagement, I like the feeling of the shifter. I like to hear the gear backlash. All in all I find the WRX manual trans driving experience quite enjoyable. I couldn't imagine this car with an auto trans.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts