Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the mid 90's the Australian police encountered a problem they could not match. THe WRX. It became the chosen vehicle for Ram raids and was an ideal getaway car for the small twisty city and suburban streets. The large police sedans could not catch em.

If you can't beat em.......................

Join em!!!!

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:
In the mid 90's the Australian police encountered a problem they could not match. THe WRX. It became the chosen vehicle for Ram raids and was an ideal getaway car for the small twisty city and suburban streets. The large police sedans could not catch em.

Join em!!!!
Was it really that bad? Or are you joking, forgive my nieveness (SP?)

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah - the security on the '94 and '95 models was pretty poor and they were stolen a bit. The cops couldn't catch them. They loved the 'rex.

I had a '94 sedan with beefed up security and didn't have a problem. They improved the security after that. The insurance went sky high for a while but has come down.

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ram raid - back the car through the glass frontage of a shop - passengers jump out and grab as much stuff as they can chuck in the car and then drive off. stash the loot - dump the stolen car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They are still using WRXs as Police Cars here!!
Even the newer models MY01-MY02...

Some of these have the STi everything in them, but no bodykit.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
wombat said:
yeah WRX are the most targeted car for theft down here :(
theres even been car jackings of them.

(car jacking is very rare in australia)
At least the Australian thieves have better taste than ours. American most stolen car is what the Camry? Thats the latest that I've heard

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
I think the camry thing is bc there are so many of them, the top 5 are like camry, accord, civic, integras etc. i actually read an article in my local newspaper about people stealing integras. our local police chief said bc (approximation of quote cant remember the whole thing) "if you put an integra motor in a civic they scream" i remember he did say scream. So the ricers sorry to offend, but if your stealing a car to put the engine in a diff car, your a ricer. I just thought it was hillarious that the police were talkin bout it

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
prelude VTi-R, is that a australian only prelude? I mean, im sure ive seen a prelude VTi-R badged before but not the real thing, the other day i saw a probe, big import kit, looks similar to a veilside style. big wing, big exaust. i understand that if that is what people are given to work with, Ill admit it was a decent looking car for a probe, not my taste but someone that puts that time and money into it. admire dedication if nothing else... guy gets in, pulls out, drives by me.... skyline GTR badge on fender, lost all respect for it

·
Registered
174 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:

Join em!!!!
I would consider quitting my day job to become an Australian policeman if I could chase bad guys in my police spec STi all day long.

-Shadow

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Re: Australian Police Response to WRXs

Shadow said:

I would consider quitting my day job to become an Australian policeman if I could chase bad guys in my police spec STi all day long.

-Shadow
I reckon you have to take a number and stand in line!! :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Acura Integra is actually the most stolen car in the country. You know how some people like to do the GSR transplants.
Accord and Camry are on the list as well because they sell so many of them every year. they have the combine sale of at least 600k-800k a year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts