Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating between a V1 vs upgrading the audio system - since I'm an older far+ who drives like a turtle, I'm leaning towards replacing the audio system :D

Several questions on that note:

1. Can I put in a single DIN receiver & if so where can I find a filler(?) for the extra space?

2. Are car aduio similar in concept to the home audio stuff? By concept I mean: receiver header unit -> amplifier -> speaker/subs?

3. I think it's out of reach but anyways - are there reasonable cost wide-screen double DIN screen+receiver out there?

4. I've looked @ Crutchfield but the MY03 Subaru is not up yet - I guess I can use the MY02 WRX choice?

TIA,
Robert

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes you can use a MY02 WRX. As far as the double dins go, they are ok, but I would consider a single din since you'll have more options. I bought my entire system fro Crutchfield including an Alpine 7874 head unit that matches the interior perfect. Crutchfield provides the single din pocket that fills the gap. They also provide you with all the harnesses you'll need to install your stereo. Mind you, the front speakers they reccomend will not fit the adapters they provide without some modification.

·
Registered
223 Posts
1. Single DIN is probably the better option b/c double DIN units are pretty hard to come by. The Legacy DIN pocket is probably the best option to cover up the extra space. You should be able to pick one up from your dealer for next to nothing.

2. You can greatly improve your sound quality for about $200 just by replacing the door speakers with coaxials. Even the best head units will sound bad with the flimsy, paper stock speakers. If you're really serious, your looking at head unit, amplifiers, separates/subs which will cost you close to $1,000 minimum with installation.

4. Crutchfield is very over-priced. There are many cheaper online alternatives like Ikesound.com.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ifantig, palaban:

Thanx :) I guess I have to make up my mind on how much I want to spend. So it's not the head unit but more so the important part seems to be the speakers. I like the looks of some Alpine head units so maybe I can start cheap by replacing the door speakers & getting a head unit that has pre-outs (for the future).

Robert

·
Registered
223 Posts
…sounds like a plan

Some are still divided as to what is more bang for the buck - speakers or h/u. My thinking is if you change the speakers, you'll get better quality and you'll still have a 6 cd changer. I also don't think you'll have to worry about anyone stealing your lovely stock h/u.

Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
speakers

what kind of setup has anyone done for the front door speakers, i was thinkin polk components for a couple hundred bucks. I want to keep the dash unit, but if i cant hook it up to a sub, or an amp for the speakers, i may ditch it... any suggestions? does anyone know of a place where i can get the subaru speaker harnesses at?? Thanks, -Jason (black 03 wrx sedan)

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
8 Posts
I wrote a huge response on why headunits are the most important part of any audio system and then realized how old this post was. :confused1

Man, I need to get some rest. Sorry for flogging the dead horse.....once again. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts