ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first step in my project. My best amp finally arrived. McIntosh MC427. Here are some pics. Spec is 100Wrms x 2 to run my front stage. This amp is pretty much MINT and I got it for $325 on ebay. Most beautiful thing I've ever laid eyes on, I may just hang it on my wall instead. I had a MC440 in 2003, but it wasn't close to this condition.

The amp rack might arrive today, and I should have more pics by tonight.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
McIntosh eh?? Kickin it old school!! Awesome amps!

I had a few Linear Power amps in my old system. My largest was the 2.2HV rated at 2.2 HP. ;) Thing had a ton of sharp heat dissipation fins and was brutal. The best amp I ever owned.

Mine was black but looked just like this

I'd cry if that McIntosh got stolen out of my car lol.

I carriage bolted my Linear powers in, so removing was a 2 person job ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
McIntosh eh?? Kickin it old school!! Awesome amps!

I had a few Linear Power amps in my old system. My largest was the 2.2HV rated at 2.2 HP. ;) Thing had a ton of sharp heat dissipation fins and was brutal. The best amp I ever owned.

Mine was black but looked just like this

I'd cry if that McIntosh got stolen out of my car lol.

I carriage bolted my Linear powers in, so removing was a 2 person job ;)
I almost bought those LP amps a few times back in my day. I think they were $699 or $799 at least? Ya I will get insurance on my gear I guess. And I need some ideas on bolts that will be better. There will be nuts on the back side of amp rack of course.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All my other stuff came in, didnt even have time to open it:

Audio Integrations amp rack
Alpine 600Wrms sub amp
CDT Classic components with upgraded tweet
10 ft 8 gauge wire, blue and clear to match my 4 gauge
stinger dual distribution block

Tomorrow.. I lay out the 2 amps on the rack and drill 8 main mounting holes. Then I start tracking down the hard parts. Theft preventative bolts of some kind. And 1/2" spacers for the bolts to raise the amp off the rack. The wires will go behind it as mentioned earlier.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
For bolts try "Tamper resistant Torx"

Requires a special tool but worth it.

Make sure to use Nylon Lock nuts on the bottom side or it was all for nothing.

You can buy them locally or through www.mcmaster.com

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lock nuts on the bottom of the tamper proof torx instead of regular nuts :thumbup:

oh i got it.. I thought it said nylon lock washers.. thats why i was confused. Ya I know about nylon lock nuts. But I dont see them often in local hardware stores..

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Picked up all the special nuts and bolts I needed. I wont give away all my security bolt secrets, otherwise what is the point?

I finished drilling all my holes in the rack. The 8 tiny holes are the amp mounting holes. The 3/4" holes are for the wires and will be behind the amps. I have a choice of 1/2" spacers or 3/4" spacers once I see how the wires look.

This was my first time touching fiberglass. It has a funny smell. Reminded me of when my parents built a 30 ft. catamaran in our backyard in Ireland. I now know it must have had fiberglass portions.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Got the amps mounted tonight. They look a lot better in person. The gloss black is flawless in person, but the flash shows imperfections. My only worry is whether I will have room to fish the speaker wire and RCA's thru from under the amps. The amps are all on 1/2" spacers.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got the amp rack done and the rear seats are back in.

Tip: Use a larger spacer than 1/2" behind your amps. I had everything installed and had to loosen the amp bolts to get the RCA pulled thru under it. 3/4" spacers would have been PERFECT.

This is by far the sweetest cleanest system I have ever had, and its all because of Audio Integrations amp rack. Without it, I would have had another sloppy install.

I tested one CDT woofer on a McIntosh channel and it worked. I turned the McIntosh gains all the way down, which is marked as "2V". Since I have 4V, I guess I should keep it minimum once the speakers are installed? The next phase is to install the CDTs in my doors tomorrow. Then I had that sub sire you can see for my JL 10W6v2. Just waiting for my Audio Integrations sub box to finish it all off..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts