ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who haven't actually been dyno tuned by TXS (read 'generic' map users)...

Have you experimented with different intakes? If yes, what were your results?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also using a WRXfx with my 'stage 4'. I know that kit works flawlessly. Perhaps I should have stuck with what works...

I recently upgraded (if you want to call it that) to a Blitz SUS. And, well, the car doesn't run the same. This is the new genre that is supposed to work fine. But I'm getting the feeling the unichip needs to be tuned to work with this filter. I think I'm hearing detonation. My car has NEVER made this sound when under WOT at boost. It has always run very good! So I really need to get off my ass and take some logs to look for knock. It has been brought to my attention that this intake could cause the car to lean out more that it should.

Positive's
Grunty sound
Louder turbo
I swear this thing spools faster
Looks good

Negative's
Detonation!

The Blitz may work fine on stock or mildly modded WRXs. And I'm sure it's fine on cars that have been tuned on the dyno with it (GODs car).

I still want to hear more from others and their intake experiences...maybe those with unichips period.

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
Yep, everyone I've talked to at TurboXS and Vishnu has told me that you need to get specially tuned to have the Blitz SUS work with a unichip. Apparently the amount of air coming in is just too variable, so they can't get a stable map. I'm holdling onto my intake until we get a tuner up here this summer, but otherwise I'm just sticking with my stock airbox and soon-to-be hacked intake silencer.

·
5,799 Posts
Along the same lines, I'm wondering if Samco IC hoses reduce intake restriction to the extent that a remapping is required. Anyone? I'm going to drop Phil a line, but wanted to see if anyone here had experience with this...

-Pace

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confirmed...this thing caused knock even when I turned down to 10psi!

Detonation appeared to be gone by 12psi.

So what to do? Why does the SUS do this? I'm curious what the cause is...would the LM filter do this?

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
The SUS will do this only with a unichip. It will NOT do it with the stock ECU.

I contact Phil about the Samco Hoses and he said that the unichip will NOT need remapping :) That's why I went ahead and ordered mine :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
GET RID OF THAT BLITZ FILTER NOW!

The blitz filter has a MAS housing that is MUCH larger than stock, and as a result you end up running VERY lean. It's not a very good design since we are talking 7mm larger in diameter. Thats a whole lot of surface area. I've seen stock cars detonate with the sus setup. I can't even think what a high boost stage4 car would be like.

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com

·
4,769 Posts
nmyeti said:
GET RID OF THAT BLITZ FILTER NOW!

The blitz filter has a MAS housing that is MUCH larger than stock, and as a result you end up running VERY lean. It's not a very good design since we are talking 7mm larger in diameter. Thats a whole lot of surface area. I've seen stock cars detonate with the sus setup. I can't even think what a high boost stage4 car would be like.

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com
That is half correct. Actually Nathan the first ones had the larger housing. The new units have corrected this problem and use the proper size housing. Blitz accidently sent Blitz USA STi units which obviously are larger and cause problems. The new units are perfectly safe and do not cause any CE lights. Anyone who has the older units can exchange them with Blitz, free of charge.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
so much for getting the blitz SUS. i'm not risking getting the older model and having to go through all of that. who knows what the vendor has in stock.

dR

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
what I want to know is if anyone has before and after dynos.

Phil told me that the intake does didly squat which seems to agree with the track times and dynos that I see (no before or after though). It's like this on a lot of turbo cars.

I wonder why there aren't a lot more before and after dynos considering how many dynos are up. Headers, intakes, and hoses could easily be dyno'd before and after. Perhaps the numbers aren't encouraging...

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
God said:

That is half correct. Actually Nathan the first ones had the larger housing. The new units have corrected this problem and use the proper size housing. Blitz accidently sent Blitz USA STi units which obviously are larger and cause problems. The new units are perfectly safe and do not cause any CE lights. Anyone who has the older units can exchange them with Blitz, free of charge.
We actually had a new unit in the shop 2 weeks ago. The housing is still VERY oversized, just not as much. The new unit is the one that is 7mm oversized. The old was closer to 10mm iirc. In the real world the new unit is no better than the old.

-Nathan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts