ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K, So Im hangin on the freeway with my A/P Stage2 rollin 55mph in 5th and someone decides to pull on me.

I Rev match and drop it to 3rd (which I have always done BEFORE A/P good to 90mph) and hammer it,...From what I hear, Your E.G.Ts Soar!! (Say 1650-1700deg)

Can god or someone in the know tell me if this is true?

Hell man, What are you supposed to do here, Hammer it in 5th and lug away whilest the "opponent" speeds merrily away?

Or just do the rice flyby........;)

Serious, Someone help me keep my pistons intact.

Shotgun

·
Registered
309 Posts
just imo.. but there is really no need to worry about your EGT soaring if the map is done right.

EGTs can be taken down by adding more fuel, reducing boost, or lowering timing.

If its a base map... its going to be way rich anyhow.

BTW.. you wouldnt want to punch it in 5th gear ... you'd be better off downshifting to 3rd or 4th since most people set their boost based off of 4th gear. That would cause flooring it in 5th (which is usually just used for overdrive) to overboost...

Like I said though... I dont have accessport and I dont know their specific map setup... but I would find it hard to believe that they would put out a base map that would put your EGTs high enough that you'd have to worry.

Rob

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
ShotgunTC88 said:
I Rev match and drop it to 3rd (which I have always done BEFORE A/P good to 90mph) and hammer it,...From what I hear, Your E.G.Ts Soar!! (Say 1650-1700deg)
Who says that your EGT's soar from simply downshifting to 3rd with a Cobb map? Sheesh, I do it all the time.:confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The EGT's are based on the tune of the ECU. If the car was tuned well, then the temps will not have a problem. Though if you are concerned i would suggest getting an EGT Guage, and see for yourself what your EGT's are hitting.

I know the Stage 2 makes some good power, so there is a chance the EGT's might be getting high. Higher EGT's don't always mean a better tune but when the power is really good, more than likely it shows a really good tune. Though the drawback of having such a tune can lead to high EGT's which can lead to Turbo failures. The turbo is the weakest point when it comes to heat. Luckiliy the turbo is farther down the exhaust then say a EVO. The temps from the header to the Turbo do drop quite a bit before they reach the Turbo.

If you were hitting 1650-1700 at the headers I would not worrk to much, that is just getting really good power near the top. This kind of tune I would usually use for track driven cars, as usually people like that keep an eye on thier car quite a bit more than the daily driver.

Cheers,
Bill Knose
I-Speed USA

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I-SpeedUSA said:
The EGT's are based on the tune of the ECU. If the car was tuned well, then the temps will not have a problem. Though if you are concerned i would suggest getting an EGT Guage, and see for yourself what your EGT's are hitting.

I know the Stage 2 makes some good power, so there is a chance the EGT's might be getting high. Higher EGT's don't always mean a better tune but when the power is really good, more than likely it shows a really good tune. Though the drawback of having such a tune can lead to high EGT's which can lead to Turbo failures. The turbo is the weakest point when it comes to heat. Luckiliy the turbo is farther down the exhaust then say a EVO. The temps from the header to the Turbo do drop quite a bit before they reach the Turbo.

If you were hitting 1650-1700 at the headers I would not worrk to much, that is just getting really good power near the top. This kind of tune I would usually use for track driven cars, as usually people like that keep an eye on thier car quite a bit more than the daily driver.

Cheers,
Bill Knose

Thanks Bill, Ray

I just get paranoid about sht.............

:)
Shotgun

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Now that I'm running the Cobb VF34 reflash, I'm REALLY contemplating getting an EGT gauge. Oh well, Cobb's pretty conservative with this map, too.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RayfieldsWRX said:
Now that I'm running the Cobb VF34 reflash, I'm REALLY contemplating getting an EGT gauge. Oh well, Cobb's pretty conservative with this map, too.
Yea, Im gonna get my ass flamed..........

But Josh at Cobbs said to not even worry about getting an E.G.T!!

Im STILL thinking serious about one though, Wouldnt hurt.

Shotgun

·
Registered
22 Posts
If Cobb says you don't need one then I would listen to them. They are probably right, these guys do know what they are doing and have always done the best work they can.

Cheers,
Bill Knose
I-Speed USA

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I-SpeedUSA said:
If Cobb says you don't need one then I would listen to them. They are probably right, these guys do know what they are doing and have always done the best work they can.

Cheers,
Bill Knose
I-Speed USA
I plan on running Stage2 for 2-3 tanks on some new plugs and then pulling them and reading them..

I will let ya know if its in the right range.

Shotgun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts