Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At long last....Steve's 2018 Limited Dark Gray Metallic STI Build thread

Well had a total blast hanging out with Kenzie yesterday and after some killer bbq, finally picked her up.

2018 DGM STI Limited
SPT short throw
SPT Performance Exhaust
Homelink mirror
Blindspots detection (don't remember if this is part of limited or an addition).
Rear Cargo Mat
Armrest extendor

So far the car is an absolute blast. It's got plenty of power to get out of its own way and handles pretty dang well. Little bit of wheel hop here and there, but I'm impressed and loving it. I also think the clutch is pretty smooth and easy to use.

1 guy in a beefed up Datsun tried to race me. Definitely would have lost that one, he took off after I waved him by and was moving.

Have already received quite a few comments and such at red lights etc as I've been rolling around.

I'm super happy with the car overall. I've been above 4000 a few times by accident, the worst being accidentally going to 4 instead of 6 (n00b) and the other times maybe hit 43/44 while passing on the highway. I plan to keep it under 4k as much as possible for the break-in.

The interior to me seems very nice and well made. Pedals are too small and close for heal-toe, but I can Big-Little pretty easily and have been working on making that consistently smooth.

Overall love it.

Mods planned:
Nothing major til warranty.
New wheels with nice tires (or the stock dunnys) for track days/auto x
Alignment
Rbf600 brake fluid
Some form of track appropriate coolant

· Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yay welcome to the family finally. Mudflaps asap...looks naked without

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meh. when I buy summer/track wheels I'll do mudflaps

· Registered
108 Posts
Congrats man! If you saw a WRB STI on the lot when you picked up your baby, I think that's me haha.

Do you have any experience in earlier year WRX's to compare this too? There are a few things people say these 18's have improved over the 15-17's (lower road noise, less jarring ride on the stock dampers etc.) , curious if it's noticeable at all.

· Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats man! If you saw a WRB STI on the lot when you picked up your baby, I think that's me haha.

Do you have any experience in earlier year WRX's to compare this too? There are a few things people say these 18's have improved over the 15-17's (lower road noise, less jarring ride on the stock dampers etc.) , curious if it's noticeable at all.
I don't sorry. dampening is pretty decent I think. Obviously it's a little jarring over big bumps or railroads etc, but nothing crazy.

honestly they have so many damn cars there I didn't see yours sorry :(

· Registered
146 Posts
meh. when I buy summer/track wheels I'll do mudflaps
my $0.02 would be to get them asap, particularly since it just started snowing where you're at. Without the mudflaps, the sides of my car would get dirty way too quick. with them, they stay clean much longer. I imagine you'll end up kicking up a lot of snow/slush onto your sides

Car looks beautiful though man. what are you doing with them OEM rubber in the meantime?

· Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my $0.02 would be to get them asap, particularly since it just started snowing where you're at. Without the mudflaps, the sides of my car would get dirty way too quick. with them, they stay clean much longer. I imagine you'll end up kicking up a lot of snow/slush onto your sides

Car looks beautiful though man. what are you doing with them OEM rubber in the meantime?
yeah trust me I'd like to. However, as you know I'm about to enroll my 1 dog in $2500 board & Train class and still have $1000 of registration to pay (while of course saving for a wedding). So something like this must get de-prioritized. It will happen.

OEM rubber is sitting in my garage until I have a set of rims to mount them on....or if I end up with a bit of a surplus (maybe after taxes depending on if I pay or get some back) I'll pick up some nice Michelin pilot sports and sell these.

· Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Looking good man!!! That BBQ is epic huh? I could eat there again soon. Maybe a nice weather meet-up soon?
let's do it man! the clays range would be a blast paired w/ bbq

· Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

· Registered
565 Posts

· Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it's been 2 weeks...but I've basically been volunteering to drive at every opportunity so..

Time for fun! I'd be lying if I said I kept it strictly under 4k the whole time, but I have only had 2 experiences to date that we're intentional. The rest was just a little bit of sensor priority and "oh **** 4500".

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

· Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
signed up for Autox this weekend.

got the STI aligned with a mildly performance oriented alignment in prep

· Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it is. I only had them adjust the front toe. make sure you're looking at before AND after

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.