ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am going to be getting the Tein Flex A coilovers. I have seen online that the front is typically a bit higher then the rears. Should I follow that same idea when deciding on my ride height for my 2017 WRX? It will not be for track use, only street driving. I am thinking of only dropping the car about 1 inch, as the incline going into my garage will scrape under the car if I go any lower. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
Your factory suspension will preform better than that suspension by several magnitudes. It's also several magnitudes better quality. I would not buy that at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your factory suspension will preform better than that suspension by several magnitudes. It's also several magnitudes better quality. I would not buy that at all.
As mentioned in my post, I am buying the coilovers merely for the lowered look and not for track use. I'm not sure if you're trying to persuade me to not get those specific coilovers or any at all. If that's the case then you could give me a recommendation on which brand/type, otherwise you just sound like a hater sir.

My question was tips on front and rear height differences when installing coilovers, not "Is my stock suspension better then these coilovers."

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
Coilovers rarely maintain height for very long so it doesn't matter. Adjustable things only mean they can be adjusted wrong. From the factory cheap coilovers are rarely dampened properly for the spring rate regardless of how many million adjustments they have and the springs are pointlessly stiff.

You should be looking into products from rce, koni, whiteline, ohlin, kw, with a focus on the rce springs and koni inserts. You may not need the inserts but it's way better than any 1000 dollar suspension.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
I'm not sure if you're trying to persuade me to not get those specific coilovers or any at all.
If he's not, it's important enough for me to feel compelled to do so. You've selected rubbish for reasons that don't make much sense at face value.

If that's the case then you could give me a recommendation on which brand/type,
If a suspension component is not approved for road use I question its safety. Buy only components with a TÜV, true OEM status, or of course both. If you insist on coilovers I have to say that despite not being a fan of DE products I do like and recommend KW. They have a TÜV so they're certainly not dangerous.

Also there's Öhlins -- but last I looked on their site I could not sort out which Impreza models they support currently so you may want to ring or email and ask.

otherwise you just sound like a hater sir.
The choice of "hater" is alarming but I'll let it slide with simply an explanation that, although we welcome members of all ages -- but only according to the legal limitations of the respective jurisdictions -- it is preferable to keep the discussion at a PG-13 but decidedly grown-up level.

My question was tips on front and rear height differences when installing coilovers, not "Is my stock suspension better then these coilovers."
Your stock suspension is better than those coilovers.

EDIT: Has anyone tried Bilstein B16 coilovers on a later-generation Impreza? Those look really interesting and I've got Bilstein stuff on one of my other cars -- I thought it's brilliant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me using the word "hater" is alarming? Its not even profanity. Are you really a moderator? Because you calling my choice in coilovers is "rubbish" sounds more insulting then calling someone a "hater." Last I checked Tein has been around for many years and is definitely not considered rubbish in the suspension scene.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coilovers rarely maintain height for very long so it doesn't matter. Adjustable things only mean they can be adjusted wrong. From the factory cheap coilovers are rarely dampened properly for the spring rate regardless of how many million adjustments they have and the springs are pointlessly stiff.

You should be looking into products from rce, koni, whiteline, ohlin, kw, with a focus on the rce springs and koni inserts. You may not need the inserts but it's way better than any 1000 dollar suspension.
Thank you, I will take your advice into consideration.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
Me using the word "hater" is alarming?
Yes. It sets a tone reflecting an unwillingness to accept criticism. You've not dealt with the critique; you've responded with an ad hominem preferred by a, um, let's say "on-the-younger-side" crowd.

Are you really a moderator?
No.

Because you calling my choice in coilovers is "rubbish" sounds more insulting then calling someone a "hater."
No. In any case SD_GR should be investigated and receive a temp ban.

Last I checked Tein has been around for many years and is definitely not considered rubbish in the suspension scene.
I'm unaware of the suspension scene. My apologies.

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
Me using the word "hater" is alarming? Its not even profanity. Are you really a moderator? Because you calling my choice in coilovers is "rubbish" sounds more insulting then calling someone a "hater." Last I checked Tein has been around for many years and is definitely not considered rubbish in the suspension scene.
The problem with the "suspension scene" is it's full of idiots who think as long as it goes low, is rock ass hard, and uncomfortable it's got to be better.

Tein is anything but respected by anyone with any actual authority and understanding of suspension and it's dynamics. They are the same low end Chinese crap as bc, ISC, faction fab, ksport, Megan racing and countless others out of the same factory.

There is a reason Bilstein, kw, race come engineering, ohlin, and a few limited others are commanding a price, have widespread certifications to various boards, and cost more than a factory suspension. It is in fact because they are better.

What you are shopping for, is worse, much worse. From the spring rate, to the dampening, the stroke, to the inferior quality there just isn't any reason to buy a set when kw variant 1 starts at 1800 and you can get it installed and corner balanced for a reasonable price.

Hey, if you want this to be you, by God have at it. Shaft snapped right off spring ejected, fender destroyed by the tire. I didn't think taking photos of the tein suspension stickers on the rear bumper would have ever paid off, but I guess if it's still sitting there it's worth having now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem with the "suspension scene" is it's full of idiots who think as long as it goes low, is rock ass hard, and uncomfortable it's got to be better.

Tein is anything but respected by anyone with any actual authority and understanding of suspension and it's dynamics. They are the same low end Chinese crap as bc, ISC, faction fab, ksport, Megan racing and countless others out of the same factory.

There is a reason Bilstein, kw, race come engineering, ohlin, and a few limited others are commanding a price, have widespread certifications to various boards, and cost more than a factory suspension. It is in fact because they are better.

What you are shopping for, is worse, much worse. From the spring rate, to the dampening, the stroke, to the inferior quality there just isn't any reason to buy a set when kw variant 1 starts at 1800 and you can get it installed and corner balanced for a reasonable price.

Hey, if you want this to be you, by God have at it. Shaft snapped right off spring ejected, fender destroyed by the tire. I didn't think taking photos of the tein suspension stickers on the rear bumper would have ever paid off, but I guess if it's still sitting there it's worth having now.

I agree with some of what you're saying but I think you're over exaggerating how "bad" they are. Tein actually puts a lot of engineer work into their suspension and it has been tested on the street and track. Their high end suspensions are manufactured and assembled in Japan, not China. Their more entry level suspension however, some parts are manufactured in China but assembled in their Japan HQ. In fact all their coilovers are region specific, meaning they test them on the roads of the country you're buying from. So say the ones you buy from Japan, will be different then the ones you buy from the US.

I agree with you, KW is the king when it comes to their suspension. But I think you discrediting Tein in that manner, is not 100% valid. It just sounds more like prefer something over the other. And the way you justify it, is by talking bad about the product you don't use. Rather then trying to justify it by actual comparison. (Not saying Tein is better then KW) It's the way you're coming about it.

I'll admit the coilovers I am getting are just 1 step higher then then their most entry level ones. But It's by far not the worse. It's not like I'm buying some $300 Ebay coilovers lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing to add. I will admit though, I am a little more persuaded to looking into some KW coilovers. But what you said has not changed my perspective on Tein.

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
Made in Japan doesn't mean anything, they half ass just as much for profit as Americans, Chinese and the english. You do you. I have too much respect for my vehicle, it's driving dynamics, and my back to put tein on my vehicle. I assure you I've ridden in many "dude this suspension is awesome" cars and it's not good and it's all but impossible to keep wheels on the ground.

Some years back when fixing what the previous owner butchered on my car I did a lot of research on coilovers for a daily driven application including multiple performance shops and online reviews and technical specifications.

One thing that is consistent every performance shop i called laughed and said they won't work with Chinese brands. The one place that would install one was tire discounters. That's all i needed to know. Reviews were all the same. Tons of flat bill vape Bros talking about their sweet stance specked with performance reviews blasting quality, function, and life.

I found very very few shock dyno results for any of them meaning there is nearly zero engineering and they are slapped together. To properly setup and choose a suspension that information is critical. If it doesn't exist, don't buy it.

In the end after going for a spin in a street build with kw v3 I opted for factory. More than enough capability, and comfortable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts